Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #29
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Ford doesn't have to respond to the 1le? I mean the regular GT is selling pretty damn well, they have the gt350, now that is going to come standard with the track goodies albeit at a higher price. So do they really need to make another track model to slot in-between the GT PP and the GT350? We know the R is the z/28 fighter, and most likely a GT500 is in the works, to combat the zl1. Do you think they would make an upgraded track package for the GT? Even then, its highly unlikely that it will match the performance of a 1le.
The change to add the TP standard really isn't creating anything new. Its just eliminating the possibility that a 1LE will be compared to a base, non track ready, GT350 and have it go into limp mode and/or not perform at max because it lacked MRC, strut brace, etc.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #30
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Looking at how the standard SS compares in figure 8, stopping and lateral G compare to the 350 already I'd be a bit worried at the 350 camp. I'm betting it hangs with the R.
How much are you willing to bet? How about a fifth of your favorite beverage or, if you prefer beer, a couple of cases? Of course, we need to define "hang with it", of course. How many seconds, on a track, would you consider " hanging with it"?
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #31
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
How much are you willing to bet? How about a fifth of your favorite beverage or, if you prefer beer, a couple of cases? Of course, we need to define "hang with it", of course. How many seconds, on a track, would you consider " hanging with it"?
Too many variables.

Not sure which track or anything they will test on. A track with long straits will favor the 350. I would say within a second of each minute of lap time would be respectable given the price difference and equipment differences.

All in all its kinda funny. An option on a 37k SS vs fords all out purpose built world beater. Kinda like when the last 1le shit on the boss 302 parade.

Amazing this conversation is even taking place. Plain to see which company has the superior engineering if you ask me.
And what about the GT....?

You can post up a nice told you so or PM me. Good luck.

I doubt they test against the R same track same day given a roughly 20k price difference. (37k base SS plus 5-6k 1le option)
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #32
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
^^^ Recall when the 2SS pricing came out that many Mustang fans said it should be tested against the base GT350 because their MSRPs were similar? How does A load GT PP vs 1SS 1LE sound now? As stupid I'm sure

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #33
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I love how the actual competitor to the SS 1LE, the GT PP, gets beat by the regular SS so badly that the car gets pushed up as a GT350 competitor. Shows just how good this car will be...at a good $10,000+ less I bet...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #34
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
^^^ Recall when the 2SS pricing came out that many Mustang fans said it should be tested against the base GT350 because their MSRPs were similar? How does A load GT PP vs 1SS 1LE sound now? As stupid I'm sure

ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #35
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I love how the actual competitor to the SS 1LE, the GT PP, gets beat by the regular SS so badly that the car gets pushed up as a GT350 competitor. Shows just how good this car will be...at a good $10,000+ less I bet...
It will be a great car! Will Ford lose some GT350 sales to the 1SS w/1LE package? Likely, but I'd bet the majority of sales of this package will be those who already drive a 5thGen or 6thGen Camaro, not people crossing over. considering they are building the GT350 in limited numbers, I'm not sure the small percentage of people who will be cross-shopping the two cars will have much impact on sales.

Where it will have an impact, however, is at the cruise-ins/car shows, because at those venues it's typically just about performance metrics obtained by people who don't own or regularly drive either car.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #36
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I feel someone shopping either the 1LE or GT350 is probably fairly set on that car.. The only way they may get the other one if they go in and are disappointed with the car they were thinking of.

I think you'll get much more cross shopping on the SS (with or without 1LE) and GT trims even though any SS outperforms the GT. People who aren't Camaro folk probably feel the 350 is more special than the 1LE even if 1LE performs as well or better than 350.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #37
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
It will be a great car! Will Ford lose some GT350 sales to the 1SS w/1LE package? Likely, but I'd bet the majority of sales of this package will be those who already drive a 5thGen or 6thGen Camaro, not people crossing over. considering they are building the GT350 in limited numbers, I'm not sure the small percentage of people who will be cross-shopping the two cars will have much impact on sales.

Where it will have an impact, however, is at the cruise-ins/car shows, because at those venues it's typically just about performance metrics obtained by people who don't own or regularly drive either car.
I'm a crossover. Previous three cars were a '11 GT manual, '11 GT automatic and a '02 Z06. I have zero brand loyalty, you miss out on too much doing that.

I've owned over 12 Camaros and Mustangs over the years.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:30 PM   #38
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
my lord, how quickly forget the 4.6 era. I loved my 4th gen LS1 and my s197 but when people get this clouded its pretty bad.

"I am a Ford guy. Anything that Chevy does will be met head on by Ford. Additionally, Ford will always meet and exceed their competition. The new 1LE, or any other mass produced Chevy products they manufacture, are nothing for me to be concerned with. I will always purchase Ford performance vehicles as long as Ford continues to produce quality products (and supports these products) and can be purchased at a affordable (pun intended) price.

Keep trying GM.

LS Boss"
The 4.6 was a bad joke, I hated the thing and please after the 5.0 notch back everything from 1994 to 2004 was so so ugly. I like all pony cars except the ugly ones and they were ugly slow and the strut 4 link Fairmont suspension were terrible in all but the most tightest springs negative camber settings. Just terrible. Camaros rulled from LT1 to LS1 to 2008 / 2009 when the Challenger came out.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #39
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I feel someone shopping either the 1LE or GT350 is probably fairly set on that car.. The only way they may get the other one if they go in and are disappointed with the car they were thinking of.

I think you'll get much more cross shopping on the SS (with or without 1LE) and GT trims even though any SS outperforms the GT. People who aren't Camaro folk probably feel the 350 is more special than the 1LE even if 1LE performs as well or better than 350.

Well said. If you really want one or the other your gonna buy it. I for one see the 1LE being sold at huge discounts and I see dealer gouge for the 350. I cross shopped a little bit, Ford treated me like dirt, same way they treated me in 2005 when I went looking. Heck I make well into the 6 figure range. So maybe I just got a working man face and demeanor. Chevy dealers treat me right. I've owned BMW, Volvo, Acura etc, so I'm a least in the upper midrange. I really think Ford has too much hubris.

I'll admit the Mustang is much closer now then 1998 the LS1 had maybe 320 real HP and the Cobra had 300 or less real HP the GT had like 215 to 260. GM had a great 3 link with panhard, Ford had a floppy 4 link with no lateral rod. GM had A arms vs Ford with Fairmont parts.

Now I see run of the mill SS nipping at hand built 5.2 selling at markup. Dodge is stuck with a over two ton platform and no money. It really looks like GM has all the options from 7.0 liters to superchargers to Z/28. I'm sorry collectability many times means it wins races and something tells me the 2016 Camaro is going to be dominant.

I've owned and raced a Type R since 1997, I've spent insane money on minuscule gains in HP and weight savings. Looking at the V6 1LE, I'm thinking hmm 3500 lbs, pretty good fuel economy and maybe a supercharger. GM is saying the V6 1LE out performs last year's SS.

So nut shell I like the 350, I just think they are running out of cards and want way too much for what it is. There is a new game in town and it is the 2016 Camaro.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #40
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
The 2016 SS destroys the Mustang Gt and nips at the heals of the GT350. The 1LE will hurt the GT350 and will be very competitive with the Track Pack car all for lot less money. A GT350 TP will never hurt the Z51 C7.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #41
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The 2016 SS destroys the Mustang Gt and nips at the heals of the GT350. The 1LE will hurt the GT350 and will be very competitive with the Track Pack car all for lot less money. A GT350 TP will never hurt the Z51 C7.
Where are any Lap times for the 2016 SS? I can't find any. So that may be Premature conclusion.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #42
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Where are any Lap times for the 2016 SS? I can't find any. So that may be Premature conclusion.
GM has only made vague inferences about the capabilities of the Gen 6..

How the base SS is "as fast or faster" or something like that than the Gen 5 1LE..and then said the new 1LE is faster than a base Gen 6.

I think with all the hubbub about the ZL1 and Z/28's Nurburgring times and how they used "extrapolations and simulations" to draw the times..they're a bit more shy to release hard lap times.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote