#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-03-2023, 01:58 PM   #1
GhostGirlGezi

Drives: 2017 Carmaro SS 1LE
2017 1SS 1LE Audio Upgrade

Hi, Friends.
I'm a brand new camaro owner and I know this topic has been covered extensively (trust me, I've read your posts). However, I know literally nothing about audio upgrades and I won't be doing it myself. I'm going to take it to a shop so all I'm looking for are product suggestions.

So from what I've read, I'm considering only upgrading my front 4 speakers and leaving the back ones alone (since they're useless and a PITA to get to). I also want to add a DSP amp that can maybe support a 12" sub (If I decide to add one later).

I just hate the stock audio. I want it to be louder with better quality and possibly some bump later down the road.

Also, I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong area. Still trying to figure out the ins and outs here.

Last edited by GhostGirlGezi; 09-03-2023 at 03:01 PM.
GhostGirlGezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 05:35 PM   #2
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
This is what I did in my 2020 1LE. The only difference is that you'll have different connectors from your radio module since your 2017 has the older MOST communication protocol. The breakout harness will therefore be a different part, but I believe Gen5DIY has one for your car. You can also get fancier and use a digital interface, but I was trying to avoid bulk/weight/expense.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:31 PM   #3
GhostGirlGezi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
This is what I did in my 2020 1LE. The only difference is that you'll have different connectors from your radio module since your 2017 has the older MOST communication protocol. The breakout harness will therefore be a different part, but I believe Gen5DIY has one for your car. You can also get fancier and use a digital interface, but I was trying to avoid bulk/weight/expense.
Do you have a suggestion on which speakers and amp to use? I've been researching all day and my brain hurts lol.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:00 PM   #4
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGirlGezi View Post
Do you have a suggestion on which speakers and amp to use? I've been researching all day and my brain hurts lol.
First of all, I agree with not bothering to upgrade the rear speakers. They don't get a full-range signal from the factory system, they are a PITA to get to, and they don't add to the sound quality. The door and dash combo can provide a really nice range of frequencies and good imaging if the DSP is set up properly.

I highly recommend the speakers I chose: the Audiofrog GS25 for the dash to cover mids and highs, and their GS690 for the doors for woofer duty. Both speakers are efficient and deliver very high quality sound, so they don't need huge power to work well. They also pretty much drop in the factory locations (see my writeup on all that). I used the Kicker KEY180.4, which seems to be out of production. The advantage it has is automated DSP calibration. There are several other 4-or-more-channel amps with DSP built in these day, but I can't speak to any of them. Check out the listing of amps with built-in DSP in Crutchfield. I believe they all take speaker-level inputs, so no converter is needed. I don't think (but I could be wrong) that any of them have an automated calibration, so you'd need to learn a bit about setting that up or pay someone to do it. If were looking to upgrade from my current amp, I'd probably look at the AudioControl D-4.800 or the Match M 5.4DSP. However, I bet the JBL or Sony offerings probably sound as good as my Kicker.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:16 PM   #5
GhostGirlGezi

Quote:
First of all, I agree with not bothering to upgrade the rear speakers. They don't get a full-range signal from the factory system, they are a PITA to get to, and they don't add to the sound quality. The door and dash combo can provide a really nice range of frequencies and good imaging if the DSP is set up properly.

I highly recommend the speakers I chose: the Audiofrog GS25 for the dash to cover mids and highs, and their GS690 for the doors for woofer duty. Both speakers are efficient and deliver very high quality sound, so they don't need huge power to work well. They also pretty much drop in the factory locations (see my writeup on all that). I used the Kicker KEY180.4, which seems to be out of production. The advantage it has is automated DSP calibration. There are several other 4-or-more-channel amps with DSP built in these day, but I can't speak to any of them. Check out the listing of amps with built-in DSP in Crutchfield. I believe they all take speaker-level inputs, so no converter is needed. I don't think (but I could be wrong) that any of them have an automated calibration, so you'd need to learn a bit about setting that up or pay someone to do it. If were looking to upgrade from my current amp, I'd probably look at the AudioControl D-4.800 or the Match M 5.4DSP. However, I bet the JBL or Sony offerings probably sound as good as my Kicker.
Thank you! I think you may have posted a link that I can't see or something, but this is very helpful!!
Old 09-03-2023, 09:21 PM   #6
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGirlGezi View Post
Thank you! I think you may have posted a link that I can't see or something, but this is very helpful!!
No, I typed my first reply and totally forgot to include the link. Sorry! Here is the link: Sound quality upgrades to my 1LE's stereo. That should be helpful.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:48 PM   #7
GhostGirlGezi

Quote:
No, I typed my first reply and totally forgot to include the link. Sorry! Here is the link: Sound quality upgrades to my 1LE's stereo. That should be helpful.
OMG YES!!! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you soooo much. My head hurts a lot less now lol