Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 11-15-2019, 05:50 AM   #43
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Could someone tell me what the oem size is? is it like 6258 EFR? then then next size up is like 6758? and then if you go to an after market your going from a ECU control to a spring for the wastegate? isnt the wastegate in the housing? thanks for any insights.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:15 AM   #44
Archangle

Drives: 2017 ice sliver 1LT
Currently Cooper is helping me out with tuning my car. So I want to personally say thank you to him on the forum. As far the waste gate's are topic of convo goes its controlled with a spring so the harder the spring the more boost it will hold. My Forge waste gate came off a Ford Focus ST turbo just had to swap the end out and built a bracket and it fits right on. To answer the reason why it's not currently on my car is because it's so hard to find some one to tune these car's let alone come through with the process of doing the job meaning tuners that are local or semi local with a dyno. I believe the stock wheel is 46mm at the top and the lower is 52mm at the base.. where the Turbo bay turbo is in the 50's mm up top where at the base its 72mm.
Archangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #45
Archangle

With the help from Cooper we got the my Camaro to push 372hp and 403tq at the crank in 5th gear at 3567 rpm. now there is a lot more that the turbo can push but we wanted to be safe due to the fact its a stock engine as pistons and rods goes. He did send me anther tune as a race tune which I haven't tried yet.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:06 PM   #46
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
There is a LOT of discussion that needs happen regarding the various hybrid turbo options currently available like Start The Machine has shared here, and others currently available, and their potential. It is my opinion, this path, is one of the most obvious, overlooked options. ...

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #47
wookwook

what exactly is a hybrid turbo system?
Old 11-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #48
wookwook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangle View Post
With the help from Cooper we got the my Camaro to push 372hp and 403tq at the crank in 5th gear at 3567 rpm. now there is a lot more that the turbo can push but we wanted to be safe due to the fact its a stock engine as pistons and rods goes. He did send me anther tune as a race tune which I haven't tried yet.

concur- oops its supposed to be 403. close enough....

Name:  403.PNG
Views: 394
Size:  23.7 KB

If the traction is useable or not- down low. - If you can push it to red line your well over 500 hp, and the trans TQ is within limits if you can keep the TQ up. I just plugged in a guestimation of 350 up there.

Name:  500.PNG
Views: 377
Size:  25.6 KB
Old 11-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #49
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Cooper did you notice the difference in the sheer volume of air your able to move over the stock turbo guts? That's where my tuner says we're limited for a safe 320whp ceiling max without adding shit like Meth or E85.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #50
wookwook

ditto. great queston. im also looking to get to a vcs layout for what ever useful tell tales, like EGT and yall see I started on TQ to see if there is actually the perfect max curve for reliability for both M6 and A8. still making pmts lol.....
Old 11-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #51
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Wow, now my brain hurts too, haha! That breakdown is really telling wookwook, thanks for that.. Pm me your email address, and I will send you a good PID configuration. (You might have to cut the list back some if your pc is not fast) As far as the "hybrid" goes. I really shouldn't, but I just group all the wheel upgrade, ported, ect ect turbos that are still stock frame, into that category. BUT, there are definitely differences depending what you go with.

Evil-Bee-NH Yeah, for sure.. On the stock turbo, I was able to just barely move 35lbs/min on my maximum effort runs. The hybrids I've done are easily moving 39lbs/min, and I have not even pushed. I will be doing a full forged car with one very soon though, so I'm excited too see what they can really do. So little information about these out there.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #52
Archangle

Cooper you beat me to the forum on the hybrid turbo question.. lol.. Cooper is 100% correct with the answer now granted there are a lot of different TD04 turbo's out there but that is the stock frame for the LTG. I'm pretty sure if I had a built engine and higher flow fuel pump as far as in the tank goes it would be closer to the high 400's at the rear with this turbo. Now as far as the T40 or Vermont tuning upgraded or hybrid turbo's go I can't answer to what there maximum hp would be. But with the compressor wheel being 3mm smaller on then mine I would say that the Turbo Bay turbo will push a little bit more. on the flip side to all of it if your in the market to do a hybrid turbo between the T40 or Vermont I would go with what ever is cheaper due to the fact there the same set up or at least that's what it looks like to me or you can get a Turbo Bay turbo. Also I have the T87 tranny with the TCU unlocked from hp tuners.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #53
wookwook

[/QUOTE]
On the stock turbo, I was able to just barely move 35lbs/min on my maximum effort runs..[/QUOTE]

seeing 30 right now. I'm still a little hung up on the cyl airmass vs maf air flow. the only thing that makes any sense is its' seeing the waste gate. ?
Old 02-25-2020, 06:18 PM   #54
wookwook

I just felt like I needed to finish my thought. NOT a rebuttal to STM's project by any stretch- this helped me a great deal on my current project. All I wanted to say was the turbo project is great! and I appreciate that. I just have one critique, is that the shop tech did not SAE correct the chart.

Not a reflection on the OP!!! I just have an issue with uncorrected shop dynos. I didn't look up that DA in the great state of WA, but I can guess in November there's some great air for turbos. That affected some of my thoughts at the time. And I may have seemed a little harsh because of my interpretation of that.

That's it and that's all.
W.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 02-25-2020, 10:29 PM   #55
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
I just felt like I needed to finish my thought. NOT a rebuttal to STM's project by any stretch- this helped me a great deal on my current project. All I wanted to say was the turbo project is great! and I appreciate that. I just have one critique, is that the shop tech did not SAE correct the chart.

Not a reflection on the OP!!! I just have an issue with uncorrected shop dynos. I didn't look up that DA in the great state of WA, but I can guess in November there's some great air for turbos. That affected some of my thoughts at the time. And I may have seemed a little harsh because of my interpretation of that.

That's it and that's all.
W.
I've been to war with people posting standard numbers and not SAE corrected but 1/4 mile is where you will see the true measure.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #56
wookwook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
I've been to war with people posting standard numbers and not SAE corrected but 1/4 mile is where you will see the true measure.
After thinking about it for a while, I guess there's usefulness in all 3 or 4 types of logs like uncorrected, sae corrected, vcs logs, SAE web calculators and such. being my first year getting into it I see our region has the possibility of 4000 ft of density altitude range from winter to summer. As a self-tuner, I just wanted to make people aware that that is a big deal when your comparing your own numbers and especially trying to refer to whats shared and the atmosphere conditions. Turbo dynamics are similar to aircraft props and flight. I have amazing numbers on my lo-mass turbo build in vcs, but it would be pointless to post gains just because I can, if it doesn't have context.

But in the end to your point exactly, if you can track your car and see the real result that's really the whole point.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106