Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 09-27-2023, 06:59 PM   #1
NiickySaz

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1LT V6
Bumping up compression to 12.1

Can it be done? I'm trying to find a reasonable dealer who sells 100 octane at a reasonable price/shipping. I don't want to go crazy with the timing.
NiickySaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:05 PM   #2
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
And raise red line to about 7,800 and maybe bigger cams.
Old 09-28-2023, 12:48 PM   #3
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
I'm not an expert on engines, so take this with a pinch of salt. To change the compression ratio, you would need new pistons. I don't know if any piston maker is making 12 to 1 pistons for the LGX; if not, you may need an expensive custom set of pistons. Installing pistons requires an engine build. Huge job. Every point of compression buys you about 7% added power. Going from stock 11.5 to 12 to 1 compression will get you perhaps 3 to 4% more power. Not worth the cost, by a long stretch. Perhaps you were just thinking about a custom tune to advance the timing and get a few more hp? You can do that on 93 octane and not need ridiculous, impractical 100 octane.

Best solution if you have money burning a hole in your pocket is to sell your V6 and get an SS. Better yet, enjoy your V6 Camaro as it is, and pay yourself by saving/investing the money, instead of throwing it at aftermarket stuff for the V6 which is likely to be a fool's errand.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 01:18 PM   #4
NiickySaz

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1LT V6
Yea just trying to work a tune around it, but even then I was just informed it may not even be worth it. Case closed!
NiickySaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 02:31 PM   #5
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
I use only premium fuel,93 where I live. Have read it can take up to 1 k miles for the ecu to fully adjust to premium.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:07 PM   #6
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
I'm glad I said I'm no expert on engines. The more direct effect on compression ratios is the cylinder head. Changing cylinder heads is less work than swapping out pistons. But, it's still a big job. I don't think anyone is building aftermarket heads for higher compression, although some machine shops have modified the stock heads for better airflow. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways, head work by itself, without other modifications (to intake, valves, tuning, and headers), is unlikely to yield much power. Plus, going that route will be expensive, difficult to tune, and detrimental to reliability.

Last edited by Roostie; 09-28-2023 at 03:08 PM. Reason: syntax
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote