Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #43
Luis19SS

Drives: 2019 SS A10
Bumping thread. Few questions. Found a set of Front brembo brakes with stock brake lines and pads. Will the stock lines fit on a v6? I purchased new rotors already, just wondering what else ill need if the kit comes with the calipers, pads, and lines already. Im assuming ill reuse the stock hardware correct? Thanks in advance
Black 2019 SS A10, MBRP Exhuast, Soler performance Ported Throttlebody, Cold Air Inductions CAI, BMR equipped, Stance SFO7 on nitto NT555G2 tires, Limited Edition White Racing Seats, ZL1 1LE Splitter, Carbon Sideskirts, Gorilla Splitters areo kit, Next Gen Speed Diffuser, JWmotorsports LED side markers

Luis19SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #44
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis13RS View Post
Bumping thread. Few questions. Found a set of Front brembo brakes with stock brake lines and pads. Will the stock lines fit on a v6? I purchased new rotors already, just wondering what else ill need if the kit comes with the calipers, pads, and lines already. Im assuming ill reuse the stock hardware correct? Thanks in advance
The lines will work as long as these are the lines that were on the Brembo calipers from the factory. Regarding the front brakes, you should purchase new caliper mounting bolts (GM part number 11570788) as these bolts are torque to yield bolts, in other words use them once and throw them out. The threads can easily get stretched. You will need four of these bolts, the torque is only 30 foot pounds, it's the "plus 90 degrees" that gets the old muscles working.

You will also need 4 new crush washers (GM part number 21012386), these are the washers that go on the break line connecting to the caliper banjo bolt.

What about the back ones?
Old 10-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #45
Luis19SS

Drives: 2019 SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
The lines will work as long as these are the lines that were on the Brembo calipers from the factory. Regarding the front brakes, you should purchase new caliper mounting bolts (GM part number 11570788) as these bolts are torque to yield bolts, in other words use them once and throw them out. The threads can easily get stretched. You will need four of these bolts, the torque is only 30 foot pounds, it's the "plus 90 degrees" that gets the old muscles working.

You will also need 4 new crush washers (GM part number 21012386), these are the washers that go on the break line connecting to the caliper banjo bolt.

What about the back ones?
Thank you! I will be doing the rear eventually, but decided to do the front first.
Black 2019 SS A10, MBRP Exhuast, Soler performance Ported Throttlebody, Cold Air Inductions CAI, BMR equipped, Stance SFO7 on nitto NT555G2 tires, Limited Edition White Racing Seats, ZL1 1LE Splitter, Carbon Sideskirts, Gorilla Splitters areo kit, Next Gen Speed Diffuser, JWmotorsports LED side markers

Luis19SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #46
Deputy347k9

November 11, 2017: Today was the day for the Brembo upgrade on my 2LT/RS Convertible. I started at exactly 1000 hours this morning. Used Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point Automotive Shop, rental is $8.00 per hour. This includes you lift, well stocked Snap On tool box and a very well stocked tool room with every known automotive tool available.
My sole directions was the GM Brembo Brake Conversion guide that comes with the package if you purchase from GM. This is right on by the way. I replaced all four calipers (new rebuilt powder coated), four SS rotors, four SS brake lines, NEW OEM SS master brake cylinder, all new caliper bolts, new OEM axle nuts, new OEM crush washers. replaced both rear brake shields with the SS ones (no shot cuts) I also had a set of front brake shields so I sanded all four and painted them with POR15 for longer durability. Time I bled the entire system, cleaned my rented bay I ended at just about 1700. 7 hours $ $8.00 for a cost of $56.00
To make the job easier I had preloaded the four calipers with all new pads and had installed the lines with new crush washers. The rear dust shields I purchased came with the parking brake shoes, so I removed, painted and reinstalled. Having the ready to go is very time consuming.
One of the hardest parts was installing the new caliper bolts, torque is 30 foot pounds plus 90 degrees! That 90 degrees will cause you butt to pucker at times. Rear axle nuts at 199 foot pounds was easier.
The gent that I had help me bleed the system was quite greasy so I had him due the bleeding while I pumped. Well long story shot is I do have good brakes but I can surly tell I still have some air. The wife will help me one day this week to rectify the situation.
I took one break for a sandwich, other than that I stayed turning wrenches. Overall was not as bad as I expected. Changing the rear brake shields added about two hours but well worth it. If your going to do the job than do it the way it was meant to be.
If anyone as any questions about taking on this task send me a PM and I will do my very best to fill you in.

Very respectfully,
Larry
Old 11-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #47
jimmyp

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible
Where did you pick up the backing plates? I wanted to change them out when I do this over the winter.
jimmyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #48
Deputy347k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
Where did you pick up the backing plates? I wanted to change them out when I do this over the winter.
I found them on EBay. There is a rear left one there right now that is loaded, new E brakes and all. Price is $40.95 with free shipping. Chevrolet get $110.00 for the bare shield. I was fortunate to purchase both with E shoes. Leave everything together and your job will be much easier. Pull the old plates with E shoes off and place the new SS version in place.

Just make sure they are for the SS version 2010-2015.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #49
jimmyp

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible
I bought the left one off of eBay, wish I could find the right one. I can't bring myself to spend $110 for a piece of stamped steel. I don't know why they're so expensive, I bought some for my truck last year and they were $20
jimmyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #50
Deputy347k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
I bought the left one off of eBay, wish I could find the right one. I can't bring myself to spend $110 for a piece of stamped steel. I don't know why they're so expensive, I bought some for my truck last year and they were $20
I also purchased two out of a salvage yard, I believe I paid them $50.00 for the pair shipped, they also came with the E brakes attached, like I said keep them attached, will make life much easier.

I am going to send you a PM with some more information.

Larry
Old 11-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #51
Deputy347k9

One more important note: When your removing your V6 calipers make sure you do not mix up the brake line banjo bolts for they are different on the Brembos as is the caliper mounting bolts.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #52
Deputy347k9

Today I went to the local Chevrolet Dealership for a front end alignment seeing the girl is a 2014 and I am just under 12K miles I figured it was time. Thank God she only needed a few minor adjustments. While there I had them bleed the entire brake systems being I just completed the Brembo upgrade on Saturday past. I did change the master cylinder is why I needed to make sure there was no air in the ABS.

The Brembo upgrade is now officially over and I am extremely thrilled with the performance as well as the new look with the powder coated calipers.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:50 AM   #53
Deputy347k9

Still have not put on the 21" wheels but here is the look with the new powder coating by TPH Coating, Brembo's done in "Lolly Pop Red".

A huge thanks to Forum Member "2011WhiteSS" and Kevin from TPH Coating. The journey took a while, a pot hole or two in the road but we got her done!

You can shop around for a powder coater but I honestly don't believe you will find better work that what Kevin does.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2017, 06:40 AM   #54
Brad956

Drives: 2014 Camaro RS
Did you purchase the master cylinder. Need a video tutorial. Not mechanically savy but wanted to tackle this install myself.
Brad956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #55
Deputy347k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad956 View Post
Did you purchase the master cylinder. Need a video tutorial. Not mechanically savy but wanted to tackle this install myself.
Yes I did change out the master cylinder with the SS one GM part number 22956541. Cost was about $106.00.

With the GM PDF file that guides you through the entire install, torque values I believe you could do it if you take your time. Being you are not very "mechanically savy" would be nice to have a second set of eyes.

Remember the job is much easier if you have all the correct tools, beyond the basic MM wrenches/sockets you need torque wrenches, assistance with bleeding, 1/2" strong impact make for a much faster job in taking off and installing the wheels and calipers.

When I changed the master cylinder I did have some air in the ABS system so I did have GM bleed the entire system including the ABS. You don't necessarily have to change the master cylinder, system will work with your stock one.

I wish I had of taken the time to video one side of both front and rear. With an impact wrench I believe I could actually change one of each in about 30-49 minutes.

Any questions ask away.