Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-04-2023, 06:09 PM   #1
delsoul6

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT
Exhaust setup for max HP/TQ gains

I've been searching and reading but have not been able to find the answer to my questions. I'm trying to determine what exhaust setup will give the max power increase over stock on the V6.

My priority is power. Sound and looks are secondary but most info I read is about the sound. I know that the gains are minimal on the v6 but nevertheless, I plan up upgrade my exhaust before I tune so I'm looking for the best option. The one caveat is that I need it to be able to pass emissions as they test here in GA.

I have seen some people write about having an exhaust shop custom build a system being a good option. I'm not familiar with this. Would a shop essentially just build pipes with the same size and turns as the parts available for sale? What exactly would I ask the shop to do?

Any help is much appreciated!!

Last edited by delsoul6; 10-04-2023 at 07:26 PM.
delsoul6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 07:32 PM   #2
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Everything I have read says there no gain from exhaust mods even with a tune. I would not change the exhaust up stream of the resonator. I replaced my resonator with a x pipe because the resonator was rattling. I am very happy with my exhaust now, the sound is important to me. I think it runs better above 5.5 k rpm now.
Old 10-04-2023, 08:12 PM   #3
conall

Drives: 2019 Camaro V6 manual
Enclosed CAI, larger throttle body and tune.
I went with a 91 octane tune due to what fuel is available in my area.
You should make above 310 hp (SAE standards) at the wheels with those mods.

Last edited by conall; 10-04-2023 at 08:14 PM. Reason: additional information
conall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 12:15 AM   #4
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Not much (if any) gains from exhaust other than sound.

Georgia law reads similar to California law that you still need mufflers and an exhaust system that isn't annoying or excessively loud.

If you have the dual exhaust, get the Flowmaster American Thunder axle-back. Good for about 5hp in gains from what I remember (~1.5% overall). If you have the quad exhaust get something a little fancier like Corsa or Borla. Still same performance gain. Great sound.

You do shave off 12 pounds with the Flowmaster which is a plus
Old 10-05-2023, 09:38 AM   #5
delsoul6

Which brand x-pipe did you use? Also, do you know what the pipe diameter is on the stock exhaust so I know what size x-pipes and axel-back systems to look at?
Old 10-05-2023, 09:44 AM   #6
delsoul6

Thanks for the suggestions. Weight reduction is always a big plus!

As far as the differences between the exhaust systems designed for the double or quad exhaust setup, is the only difference in fitment the rear diffuser? In other words, I have the double so an aftermarket quad would not fit through my diffuser. If I just bought a different diffuser with the wider opening, would an aftermarket quad fit fine? Or is there another difference that would not be compatible?
Old 10-05-2023, 10:35 AM   #7
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Best I remember it's 2.25". The muffler shop I used had x pipes in stock. They cut my resonator off and welded the x pipe in place of it , $180.
Old 10-05-2023, 03:39 PM   #8
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by delsoul6 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Weight reduction is always a big plus!

As far as the differences between the exhaust systems designed for the double or quad exhaust setup, is the only difference in fitment the rear diffuser? In other words, I have the double so an aftermarket quad would not fit through my diffuser. If I just bought a different diffuser with the wider opening, would an aftermarket quad fit fine? Or is there another difference that would not be compatible?
The diffuser is easy enough to swap. But the actual exhaust itself when going from 2 to 4 is the issue. I've been told its because the exhaust hangars are in different places. Might need to look into it to see who else has done it and how theyve done it.

Two just makes sense for me because of the weight and the fact my diffuser has been professionally painted black to match the car