Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
Adding more depth to stock NPP

The stock NPP is great for OEM but I wanted something louder, with more bass, and better sounding idle.
I don't want to do anything that involves tuning the engine yet, longtubes, etc.

First thing I did was secondary cat delete. Super easy and cheap way to liven up the system. A bit louder and more pops as fuel doesn't get burned up in the cats.

Then I did 3" electric cutouts. I got ones fulfilled by Amazon prime, $120.
They even have a cigarette lighter version that you only plug in to open or close the valves.
The results are great! It's super loud, they hurt ears when fully open and reving, you feel the sound waves on your chest.
They also lobe nicely even when partially open if you don't want to deal with full sound.
I put the cutouts after the x-pipe before the NPP.

Best bang for buck especially considering you keep the quiet stock NPP when needed.

Here's a YouTube link of flyby's.
https://youtu.be/IKHdZTSRlkM

Name:  20180529_114845_3479.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  109.1 KB
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
DForesz

Drives: Camaro SS, G35 6MT, Cherokee Sport
I've always loved the idea of electric cut outs. I think it would be super cool if there was a way to use the factory GM servos for something like this.

Has anyone ever tried anything like that by using an extension harness?
DForesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
DForesz

Drives: Camaro SS, G35 6MT, Cherokee Sport
I kind of got myself thinking and started looking at the way the factory exhaust is actually built. Theoretically, it would be pretty easy to do. To make it clean you would probably have to buy someones stock NPP exhaust and cut off the factory GM cut out and then weld it into the location that you put yours. The real question is, do the factory cutouts actually remain full closed in stealth mode... If not you could end up with real blips of madness.
DForesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
If they were connected to factory npp then the valves would close at certain speeds and conditions. That in itself is defeating the purpose of cutouts or at least limiting them to stock NPP function.

I have an A8 so when the afm valves close, it has a deep sound only that escapes the afm valves, not 4 cylinder sounding either.
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutouts, exhaust, npp, secondary cat delete