Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 06-13-2018, 12:08 AM   #1
SSLandon

Drives: 2017 M6 2ss, Sunroof, Silver Ice
Long Tubes Install, Shaking + Bogging

Just had my Texas Speed Long tubes installed today with off road connection pipes and just want to make sure that what I'm experiencing is from being on the stock tune.

So I left the shop today after the install, they are a mechanic shop that is connected with my job (Selling Cars) so i got a really nice shop rate of $35 an hour. Theres a couple guys there that are Chevy guys and have done work on LS motors before and have done headers on multiple cars no issues. It was the first time they worked on a 6 gen SS and stated its not the hardest thing they have done but the passenger side is tight. I had them install some Boot covers too just incase the stock wires were touching. I noted to the tech to move the wire harness on the passenger side because it might touch. Lucky me i got home and double checked to see it was not moved at all. So I unbolted the Coolant to look at the harness and saw that only the black tape was melted (Only Drove for 30 Mins) and the wires were still okay... I ended up getting some zip ties to pull it away and tied it to the coolant tank bolts to hold it away. Good There I hope, probley will get some heat tape soon just to be safe.

So back to what i was experiencing when driving, I obviously don't want to get on it because i know that its not good until i get a tune. I noticed when I tried to accelerate a bit faster if I'm in 3rd or 4th it seems like the car is just shaking, not sure if its the motor or something else. also if i do it hard enough in 3rd or 4th i can see my shifter going somewhat crazy (shaking). And i had to hop on the freeway to get home so i hit 5th cruising and when i get on it i can just feel something shaking and the engine feel like its lugging also had the same feeling in 6th but car drives normal if i just slowly get it to 60mph.

I wanted to do a smooth roll on so i did, First gear is pretty solid but didn't feel comfortable after 4k rpm, 2nd gear is okay, 3rd gear i had a crazy backfire that sounded like a shotgun, hit 4th and just let is cruise because i shit my pants from the backfire.

So i just moved to Portland 5 months ago and have been looking for tuners that know the 6th gen pretty well. I had been referred to Wongs Performance. He seems awesome and knows his stuff but probley won't be able to get me in for 1-2 months. Also would like to go though Pray but still deciding on remote tuning. Id rather have a dyno tune to get her all dialed in at once and just bay $150 for retunes when adding more bolt ons. Im curious if what I'm experiencing is normal and just needs a tune or is there something going on from the install that i need to check. Also will i be okay driving her 5 days a week 8 miles for the next month or so till that tune comes in? Thanks for your help and advice
SSLandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:54 AM   #2
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Kaizenspeed
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
SSLandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
Kaizenspeed

Just got off the phone with Wong at Wongs Performance lucky me he might be able to squeeze me in next week to see whats up with the car and to also have her dyno tuned.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:28 PM   #4
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Cracked spark plug will make the car act like that too. Happens a lot during header installs if they don't pull the plugs during install.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #5
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
The shaking, I'm not sure about. I would have to feel it to know. The popping and backfiring is normal and will go away with a tune. I had headers on for a couple of weeks before my tune and it backfired like crazy. Totally normal because the car is running lean.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #6
SSLandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknagy13 View Post
The shaking, I'm not sure about. I would have to feel it to know. The popping and backfiring is normal and will go away with a tune. I had headers on for a couple of weeks before my tune and it backfired like crazy. Totally normal because the car is running lean.
Everything got fixed today, it ended up being Bad plug wires, Tuner Tom Wong was able to get new plug wires delivered in an hour and she put down 430HP and 424TQ with only long tubes and CAI
Old 06-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #7
Tazz3069

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I guess when I install my SW headers, I will need to pay attention to all my wires. Thanks for all this info.

2016 Camaro 2SS "Black Widow"
Tazz3069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 PM   #8
SSLandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz3069 View Post
I guess when I install my SW headers, I will need to pay attention to all my wires. Thanks for all this info.
No problem, just pay attention to the wire harness under the coolant tank on the passenger side, I rerouted mine to sit next to the tank and the shock tower. And whoever is installing it needs to be careful when pulling the plug wires, one of mine cause a bad misfire. Other then that you’ll love it
Old 06-19-2018, 11:04 PM   #9
Miami_1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Your spark plug isolator must be too close to your headers. Turn on the car and open the hood at night. You might be able to see your plug wires jumping current to one of the header runners. It happened to me when I first installed my Texas Speed headers. Not a big deal, I just did'nt have the wires pushed all the way down the plug.
Miami_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #10
SSLandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_1LE View Post
Your spark plug isolator must be too close to your headers. Turn on the car and open the hood at night. You might be able to see your plug wires jumping current to one of the header runners. It happened to me when I first installed my Texas Speed headers. Not a big deal, I just did'nt have the wires pushed all the way down the plug.
Took it to get tuned by Tom Wong and found 2 bad plug wires from the installer pulling on them too hard. he was able to get new ones within an hour and tuned her. She put down 431HP and 424TQ about 81 degrees.
431HP & 424TQ