#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-17-2024, 04:40 PM   #71
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
No one got duped, statements like this only show ignorance. Both technologies can co-exist and will continue for decades to come.
Unfortunately.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:25 PM   #72
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

The guys at Throttle House would tend to disagree with you. This 4 year old video has a Tesla Model 3 Performance competing with an Audi RS3 and a BMW M2 Comp, same day, same driver, same track. Did quite well actually.

https://youtu.be/9Pu9046wX9g?si=SnkjX-A2HBK7gvXA

I watch a ton of throttle house and can tell you that they only did 5 laps in that model 3 performance. Thomas does 1 warm up lap, 1 cool down and 3 fast laps for EVERY car on that channel. I think the point people make about ev’s not being road course ready are true. You just can’t take them and do multiple 20-30 minute sessions. Most (probably all) ev’s don’t have the brakes to withstand that abuse. It takes too long to charge them back up when they run out of juice (which they will when being run that hard).

Fwiw I agree with everything else you have ever posted on these boards about ev’s and I am not someone who likes ev’s. In fact I like very little cars that don’t have at least 8 cylinders I personally don’t see myself in an ev until 10+ years from now. I have a home but I am waiting for “wave 2” of ev’s to come out because I feel all these ones out now are going to be seriously outdated. I also buy 7+ year old cars as daily’s.

I also acknowledge that manufacturers could care less if their ev’s can do road course work as I would say less than 1/100 of the population takes their vehicles on road courses.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:03 PM   #73
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
I watch a ton of throttle house and can tell you that they only did 5 laps in that model 3 performance. Thomas does 1 warm up lap, 1 cool down and 3 fast laps for EVERY car on that channel. I think the point people make about ev’s not being road course ready are true. You just can’t take them and do multiple 20-30 minute sessions. Most (probably all) ev’s don’t have the brakes to withstand that abuse. It takes too long to charge them back up when they run out of juice (which they will when being run that hard).

Fwiw I agree with everything else you have ever posted on these boards about ev’s and I am not someone who likes ev’s. In fact I like very little cars that don’t have at least 8 cylinders I personally don’t see myself in an ev until 10+ years from now. I have a home but I am waiting for “wave 2” of ev’s to come out because I feel all these ones out now are going to be seriously outdated. I also buy 7+ year old cars as daily’s.

I also acknowledge that manufacturers could care less if their ev’s can do road course work as I would say less than 1/100 of the population takes their vehicles on road courses.
You have a good point. The brakes would definitely be the weak point for most EVs in an HPDE environment. But as with an ICE, the brakes can be upgraded to handle the task. Probably not a lot of people doing that when there are so many other track ready cars out there. There is a guy that I see around here who autocrosses a Model 3 Performance and consistently gets better times than I get in my MR2. Probably more an indication of driver competence than car capability though

I don’t think the battery depletion is a thing, though, unless the battery gets super hot, and there is no indication that this is the case. Watching Plaid drag races, they spend about 3% of battery energy per 9 second quarter mile pass with no signs of overheating. At 3% that’s a lot of passes before you have to go find a charger. And then it’s 25 - 40 minutes to get back to about 80%.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:10 PM   #74
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
The only concrete truth is that EVs are being pushed on us and people are standing up and saying they won't conform and you don't like it. How many booster shots you get? That will help me determine how you feel about a lot of things you post without even needing to read them.
Problem with your logic is that Tesla sale are very good so people DO want them.

Booster shots have ZERO to do with EV sales.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:20 PM   #75
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Problem with your logic is that Tesla sale are very good so people DO want them.

Booster shots have ZERO to do with EV sales.
Please come economically repair my Samsung refrigerator and I will be a believer
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:49 PM   #76
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Please come economically repair my Samsung refrigerator and I will be a believer
I'm not an appliance repairman but it depends on the problem. If it's a condenser then it could cost more than the refrigerator is worth repairing. When EVs get cheap enough that they become throw away items like some electronics then it won't matter but I suspect that won't be the case in our lifetime.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:14 PM   #77
CalgaryZL1

Quote:
I'm not an appliance repairman but it depends on the problem. If it's a condenser then it could cost more than the refrigerator is worth repairing. When EVs get cheap enough that they become throw away items like some electronics then it won't matter but I suspect that won't be the case in our lifetime.
Unfortunately, Ev’s are throwaway, how fast can we get a replacement drive motor? I bet Johnson doesn’t make an aftermarket.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:20 PM   #78
CalgaryZL1

The very bottom line is it Has to be relevant no matter what the product or scenario is
Old 01-17-2024, 07:42 PM   #79
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Unfortunately, Ev’s are throwaway, how fast can we get a replacement drive motor? I bet Johnson doesn’t make an aftermarket.
You get parts the way you do now for ICE vehicles, through the manufacturer. If you mean there are no aftermarket parts, you're probably right but that will be resolved in the future.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:03 PM   #80
CalgaryZL1

Quote:
You get parts the way you do now for ICE vehicles, through the manufacturer. If you mean there are no aftermarket parts, you're probably right but that will be resolved in the future.
Unfortunately, first world governments want that to be now not the future just like infrastructure later not now, it’s always the cart before the horse always always always don’t ever come to Canada with your EV because you will be towitg lt home, literally the only charge stations I see in public view is where I pick up my Camaro parts at the dealership
Old 01-17-2024, 08:47 PM   #81
White1SS

Drives: White 2024 1SS M6
Quote:

EV's are already throw away items. Much like a refrigerator and condenser, once the warranty expires, it simply cost's too much to repair their primary parts. Who would spend 20k-30k to install a new battery in a 10 year old EV with 150k miles?

What if one or more of the motors needs to be replaced ? I have no idea, but the best I can tell it's somewhere between 6k-20K ?

With an EV, keep it until the warranty expires and then sell it. If not, keep it and run it until something goes wrong, at which time hire someone to haul it out of your driveway and recycle it.
White1SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:23 PM   #82
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
NBC News just had a piece that gives a bunch of reasons EV aren't good in cold or hot
Old 01-17-2024, 10:24 PM   #83
ohsmily

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE A10 ShadowGrayMetallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
James, in all honesty, I don't understand why you (and a few others) are such ardent EV apologists on this forum, going to such lengths and putting so much effort into these EV posts. Why are you trying to convince people so hard?

If it was just one occasional post here and there, I'd keep my mouth shut, but it's definitely a trend... and for the record, I have nothing against these posts or the availability of EVs in general, to each their own, as long as these things aren't mandated in unacceptable ways. But you already know that even better than I do.
Apologists? Seriously? They're merely responding to the sheer volume of ignorance, hyperbole, and stupidity regarding EVs. This is a discussion forum and someone started this thread regarding EVs.

I love my ZL1 and EVs have limitations, but there is a recurring theme of the seeming toothless redneck asserting nonsense.

Also, when did some of you learn that adding an apostrophe s to a word or item makes it plural? I don't get it.
ohsmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:28 PM   #84
ohsmily

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE A10 ShadowGrayMetallic
While EVs have limitations, some of which are magnified in certain geographic regions, much of the criticism is reminiscent of arguments likely made in the early 1900s. " these motorized coaches are temperamental and no one knows how to fix them! You can't find fuel anywhere! My horse runs on hay and water and they can just graze grass in a pinch! Let's see a motorized carriage do that! Nothing will ever replace the beauty of my stallion and the pride of ownership I have of owning such a magnificent animal! The sound of my animal's hooves during a full gallop is something to behold! Down with these smokey, loud, unreliable machines!"
ohsmily is offline   Reply With Quote