Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
SD1

Drives: 17' GTI DSG SE
VW GTI possible Camaro convert

So I have been on the site previously when the 1LE first came out and I drove an SS PRIOR to buying the GTI, while I loved the SS, my son has access to my car and the SS wasn't a good fit at the time. Now I am going to give him the GTI and I have been thinking about a Vette, BUT, I was at the dealer, and I could not take my eyes off the 1LE. I LOVE my GTI, and think the 1LE has about DOUBLE the hooligan factor of the GTI. I am not a drag racer, but I love to bomb around corners and have ongoing ideas about autoX and PDE.

My ??? are, now that the car is out, how livable is it? I would plan to drive it a lot. I can get a Vette, a 2lt grand sport, so well equipped, pretty badass car for 56k, so wondering if leftover 1LE's see sig discounts??? And anyone in PHX up for taking me for a spin? Would love a non dealer sanctioned check ride.

TIA
SD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Which mark GTI do you have? I had a Mk6 a while back, and while it had an interior and overall solidity that belied its price, it was about as fun and charismatic as watching beige paint dry. When the Mk7 came out I went and drove that. I found it handled more neutral with higher limits, it was even more stoic and boring.

The 1LE is on another planet in terms of handling, braking, power, and charisma. I DD my 1LE here in 3rd world Detroit. I also drove a normal SS when they came out in '16, and passed. The 1LE is a major step up from muscle car to sports car.

There are some pretty solid discounts that happen, I'd say anything at or over 10% off sticker is a good buy.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
SD1

The GTI is a 17 MKIV, if you thought it was boring, you were doing it wrong, its an immensely entertaining car to drive. It is a VW, but by far the best GTI, pretty night day over the mk6. Granted the 1LE has a lot more power, one of the reasons I got away from buying higher end cars is that you simply cannot wring them out, by the time you are in 3rd gear, you are in triple digits. The GTI can be pounded on and pushed around at relatively sane speeds.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #4
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1 View Post
The GTI is a 17 MKIV, if you thought it was boring, you were doing it wrong, ...
4-wheel drifting through on-ramps and scaring the bejeezus out of the sales guy probably isn't doing it wrong. The car is capable for its class, it's just not engaging or interesting. Then again, I come from a history of turbo Miata's and Lotus Elise and Exige S, cars where you actually feel the road.

Ok now you're bringing up an interesting facet. Are you trying to drive 10/10ths on the road, or are you looking for a visceral experience regardless? Have you owned a Miata yet?
Old 03-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #5
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
I had an mk7 gti manual and thought it was okay. The steering feel and clutch engagement felt numb. The clutch could barely hold stock power. Stock power not enough for me and was wrong wheel drive and the undefeatable traction control was annoying.
My younger brother has a dsg pp with a tune/downpipe and is pretty fun in comparison; a great car for someone in their 20’s imo.
The camaro ss is/feels larger, is less practical with less visibility but performs way better out of the box.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:02 PM   #6
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
So I have been on the site previously when the 1LE first came out and I drove an SS PRIOR to buying the GTI, while I loved the SS, my son has access to my car and the SS wasn't a good fit at the time. Now I am going to give him the GTI and I have been thinking about a Vette, BUT, I was at the dealer, and I could not take my eyes off the 1LE. I LOVE my GTI, and think the 1LE has about DOUBLE the hooligan factor of the GTI. I am not a drag racer, but I love to bomb around corners and have ongoing ideas about autoX and PDE.

My ??? are, now that the car is out, how livable is it? I would plan to drive it a lot. I can get a Vette, a 2lt grand sport, so well equipped, pretty badass car for 56k, so wondering if leftover 1LE's see sig discounts??? And anyone in PHX up for taking me for a spin? Would love a non dealer sanctioned check ride.

TIA
As far as livable, you can always go for the 2SS 1LE, nicer interior, nicer entertainment system, a few more safety features to protect you from everyone else, etc.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #7
SD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
4-wheel drifting through on-ramps and scaring the bejeezus out of the sales guy probably isn't doing it wrong. The car is capable for its class, it's just not engaging or interesting. Then again, I come from a history of turbo Miata's and Lotus Elise and Exige S, cars where you actually feel the road.

Ok now you're bringing up an interesting facet. Are you trying to drive 10/10ths on the road, or are you looking for a visceral experience regardless? Have you owned a Miata yet?
Miata is a pretty shitty little car and you would certainly have to put a turbo on one to get any fun out of it, stock they have a whopping 150hp??? BUT, I have had, S2000, Boxsters, Cayman S, 911, Vette, AMG's, M3's so I have some idea of what is fun. Drifting is not the fastest way around a corner and not something I would do on the street and I call bullshit on your test drive drifting, unless you have video that never happened.

Say what you will, GTI by far the best bang for the buck, has plenty of feel, stable at the limit, actually has nice progressive oversteer, DSG is best dual clutch tech period let alone at the price point, you can get 7k discounts on GTI's, I looked at Miata's Long time ago, about the time I bought an S2000, even the Honda was underpowered (nothing like the Miata) but that was an amazing car and still very high on my all time favs list and bested only by the modded Cayman S.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #8
SD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
As far as livable, you can always go for the 2SS 1LE, nicer interior, nicer entertainment system, a few more safety features to protect you from everyone else, etc.
That would be the trim I would opt for. Having given it some thought, and seeing comments about the back seat being mostly unusable and the lack of the really huge discounts you can get on a Vette, the Vette is a better deal for me as of now. But I have to say, for what you can get a 6.2L 1LE, its a helluva bargain for the amount of performance you get! And I think its the best looking Camaro period!
Old 03-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #9
SD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Lotus Elise and Exige S
I have driven an Elsie (the one with the targa top, think thats the Elise.) and yes hella fun, but, shitty build quality, super uncomfortable, I am 6' and the floorpan encroaching on your left leg is redonk. But if all you want is an awesome autoX or short course PDE car, it will done that superbly, def a visceral (tooth rattler) and very fun car.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #10
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
I drive a Seat Leon FR,which is the same as a 1.8 TSI Golf MK7. It is the same MQB platform with the smaller displacement of the same 2.0L E888 engine of the Golf GTI.
It is a DSG 7-Speed and for a DD is very practical and quick enough.
However, there is no comparison to the SS 1LE, which is a true sports coupe on the borderline of a Supercar in terms of performance. DD - Not so much for me, but definitely a fun car for the Week-end. Surely you can DD it if you like,but you shall find it way large compared to the MQB (Golf, Leon, Octavia, AudiA3)
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #11
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
I too was planning on getting a 2018 corvette grand sport but after a ton of research, chose the 1LE and I couldn't be happier. It's more livable than the vette, has nearly the same track times, and saved me about 20 grand.

The back seat is small, but my 5 year old son and booster seat fit fine. Also good for gym bags, etc. My 1LE is not a daily driver, but even for road trips, it is more usable.

So, for a bit more functionality, same performance, and 20 grand less, the 1LE wins. But hey, if the vette badge and higher end image is worth 20 grand to you, go for the vette. Insurance was a little less on the 1LE too.

Either one is great though. I would only buy a camaro in 1LE or ZL1trim and would only buy a vette in GS trim. Zo6 is out of my budget. Lol

Looking at the other cars you've had, it seems like budget isn't too much of an issue; have you considered a ZL1 1LE? One of the baddest cars on the block.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #12
SD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post

Looking at the other cars you've had, it seems like budget isn't too much of an issue; have you considered a ZL1 1LE? One of the baddest cars on the block.
I have seen them and they are pretty fantastic, but for the same reason I would probably not buy the ZO6, its just too much car for the street, I can't figure out I will maintain with 460, 650 just seems nuts, but hey, I will at least test drive it for sure. I think the Z06 and ZL1 1LE are sick looking cars. The GS is right there too. Even the 1LE IMHO is a REALLY great looking car. My GTI seems like a toy next to any of them.

I can get an 18' GS 2lt for 60k, new. I think I could probably get a ZL1 for about that. I think if I got a Camaro, it would be a 2ss 1LE manual, if I could get one for 40 or under, I would think pretty hard about that, but not sure that is possible.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:18 PM   #13
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
I have seen them and they are pretty fantastic, but for the same reason I would probably not buy the ZO6, its just too much car for the street, I can't figure out I will maintain with 460, 650 just seems nuts, but hey, I will at least test drive it for sure. I think the Z06 and ZL1 1LE are sick looking cars. The GS is right there too. Even the 1LE IMHO is a REALLY great looking car. My GTI seems like a toy next to any of them.

I can get an 18' GS 2lt for 60k, new. I think I could probably get a ZL1 for about that. I think if I got a Camaro, it would be a 2ss 1LE manual, if I could get one for 40 or under, I would think pretty hard about that, but not sure that is possible.
650 HP seems like a lot, but they drive nice and easy until you smash the throttle, then hold on. However, it's still manageable due to all of the electronic babysitters.

Will be hard to find a 2ss 1LE for 40k or under. My 1SS 1LE was a great deal at 41.5k out the door. It's far better than a regular 1SS. More like a 1SS + has everything I need and nothing I don't. Suede and leather seats, suede steering wheel, smart screen, apps, hud, power everything, etc. Don't need dual climate control in such a small cockpit, don't need homelink garage door crap, don't need heated seats, etc. I only drive the car in sunny, warm weather and may take it to the track once in a while, and all that other crap adds weight.

My advise is to go test drive all of the choices and see which may be best for you.

Anyway, good luck with the hunt, but I'd say if you don't really care about the extra cash, or the back seat, go for the GS vette as it has a higher provenance and there are fewer of them on the road. Most people just think my car is a custom standard camaro. Lol i continuously have to explain what a 1LE is. Had one guy ask me at the store what the 11 quarts of Mobil 1 was for. Told him it was for my Camaro 1LE and he said, "meh, I didn't know the base model cars used synthetic oil..." Lol obviously misinformed, but I'm sure he knows what a corvette is. Good thing ibcould care less what dumbasses think.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:32 PM   #14
SD1

Oh it is a dry sump? I didn't know that! Good stuff!

I agree, I think 40 is not realistic, but you must have paid under 40 for the 1 if you got it OTD for 41.5? so maybe low 40's for a 2 plus ttl?

The reason I want a 2 is that I want the best stock sound system, I do use heated seats all the time, even though I just relocated to Phoenix, and I do like leather and the "fire and forget" of auto climate control, it will be worth it to me. Climate control drives me nuts in the GTI, I am constantly effing with it. I love the white BTW, great color, highlights the hood and black accents.

I saw somewhere either advertised or someone said they got 6k off a ZL1.

Here is a 19' GS 2LT, there are leftovers for about 5k less.

http://www.lesstanfordchevrolet.com/...-MI/3161048943

Last edited by SD1; 03-06-2018 at 10:44 PM.