Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #29
JustinOpinion

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
The reason I'm concerned is because the CAMARO battery tenders says "FOR LEAD-ACID BATTERIES" right on it.

Apparently the mantra at GM is, "let's just baffle 'em with bullshit"
Old 07-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #30
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
well lead acid is a general term that's used to refer to a few types of lead acid battery to be more consumer friendly since the public can't be counted upon to know if a Flooded lead acid battery is compatible with a gel lead acid battery and so on. AGM is another type of lead acid battery but it's chemistry and makeup is quite different resulting in different cell voltages and charge characteristics. Similar to how Lithium ion polymer batteries are different from Lithium Ion Iron Phosphate battery and so on in the Lithium ion world.

This is what happens when the marketing team over-rules the engineering team.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #31
JustinOpinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
well lead acid is a general term that's used to refer to a few types of lead acid battery to be more consumer friendly since the public can't be counted upon to know if a Flooded lead acid battery is compatible with a gel lead acid battery and so on. AGM is another type of lead acid battery but it's chemistry and makeup is quite different resulting in different cell voltages and charge characteristics. Similar to how Lithium ion polymer batteries are different from Lithium Ion Iron Phosphate battery and so on in the Lithium ion world.

This is what happens when the marketing team over-rules the engineering team.
...all that - and the question is still not plainly answered. THIS is why there is a marketing team, because by the time an engineer gets done explaining the properties and characteristics of a frosty cold beer to a person dying of thirst in the desert, they are no longer interested in buying it.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #32
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Here's another option:

http://www.marinco.com/en/27104

https://www.delcity.net/store/Portab...0.h_807260.t_1

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #33
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOpinion View Post
...all that - and the question is still not plainly answered. THIS is why there is a marketing team, because by the time an engineer gets done explaining the properties and characteristics of a frosty cold beer to a person dying of thirst in the desert, they are no longer interested in buying it.
the question the op had were answered on the first page.

Now we're just talking about the differences between agm and lead acid and if the charger being sold is compatible.

No questions were asked, just statements.

edit: it's not like the concern over the charger can be answered by anyone just by the term "for lead acid" since agm is lead acid. It could be agm specific since the batteries in the camaro are AGM. Or it could be GM just not caring and using a generic lead acid battery charger and even if that's true, it probably wont do anything bad enough to tell in any short amount of time since AGM's are so close to the behavior of traditional lead acid batteries.

If you want a distinct and clear answer, buy a charger that handles all of the types and select the right one.
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-Ul...attery+charger
Old 07-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #34
spotswood

Drives: Lexus, ZL1 1LE, Ducati, Suzuki,
I had the exact same concern.
Brought home my zl1 1le today and battery charger in trunk says for lead acid battery.
Not sure where ro hard wire it in to.
I have a row of battery tender trickle chargers and was going to use one of those.
Now not sure which but i did not like reading lead acid battery. Have not had one of those in many years I think. All are sealed gel and lithium ion.
I am leaning towards using my battery tender smart charger.
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:33 AM   #35
spotswood

Drives: Lexus, ZL1 1LE, Ducati, Suzuki,
I have not even found the battery yet. Under the hood is just a connection for jumping it so I am checking the trunk today.
I am planning on attaching my connecting harness for the battery tender smart charger to the terminals and then just plug it in like I do my other vehicles.
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #36
trboxman

Drives: 2017 2SS, M6, HBM
Read The Fine Manual! They give it to you for a reason...
Old 07-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #37
JustinOpinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
I have not even found the battery yet. Under the hood is just a connection for jumping it so I am checking the trunk today.
I am planning on attaching my connecting harness for the battery tender smart charger to the terminals and then just plug it in like I do my other vehicles.
Battery is in the trunk, passenger side, behind the liner. To jump or charge, use the poles under the hood.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #38
JustinOpinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by trboxman View Post
Read The Fine Manual! They give it to you for a reason...
I've been through the manual a couple of times, as well as the one for the charger. They are both ambiguous at best.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #39
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOpinion View Post
I've been through the manual a couple of times, as well as the one for the charger. They are both ambiguous at best.
there's nothing ambiguous about the location of the battery.

It's in the trunk on the passenger side behind a little removable felt-ish door.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #40
JustinOpinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
there's nothing ambiguous about the location of the battery.

It's in the trunk on the passenger side behind a little removable felt-ish door.
I was not referring to the location of the battery, in fact just a few posts above, I told another person where it is. I was referring to the type of battery in the ZL1 and the charger that is a GM OEM part. The fact that they leave any doubt already means they failed.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #41
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Does anyone know what mode on a ctek battery charger to use for ss camaro? Manual says 14.4 car mode for cars. 14.7 winter car mode recommended for agm batteries like optima, maxxima,odysses.
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #42
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
This topic is so easy but people are making it way hard.

The Camaro uses a AGM battery, it is made by Johnson Controls. The same company that makes the Optima Red Top brand batteries.

You will need a multi use charger, most of them will cover flooded cell, AGM and deep cycle. Make sure you use the right mode, using the wrong mode will kill a AGM battery.

If the included GM battery charger does not say it can charge a AGM battery then dont use it, take it back to the dealer and have them open a case with the GM TAC line. This is not the first time Gm has sent the wrong accessories with a vehicle. My 2014 truck had accessories on it from the factory, they didnt fit. I was one of the 1st customers to complain to GM about it. Took them about 3-6 months to correct it and get the right accessories out to the customers and to correct the manufacturing process.

If it is any harder than this it is because you as the owner is making it harder.

Also, just use the front charging post. You can only get to the rear Negative post thru the access panel in the passenger side felt cover. If you want to get to the charging posts for both sides you will need to pull the felt panel open and out of the way.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote