Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-15-2018, 08:38 PM   #43
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I put just over 40,000 miles on my 2016 1SS A8 in two years as a DD with the occasional road. trip. I averaged 20.9 MPG. The seats were very comfortable and she was a joy to drive. Visibility was not as bad as expected other than having to be aware of curbs and low obstacles on the sides. Atlanta streets could be a bit rough even in Touring mode. I like the steering wheel low, but that blocked my view of the speedometer. The stereo was inferior and Bluetooth syncing was occasionally a pain. I grew to dislike the AT.

I just bought a 2018 1SS 1LE. I definitely prefer the manual, but it’s already apparent mileage will suffer. I don’t care about that. I don’t like the 2nd to 4th thing. The seats are just as comfortable with more side support. The Bluetooth seems to work better and the stereo sounds better. The MRC makes city driving much more pleasant. The HUD solved my problem with seeing MPH. This may contradict expectations but I think this one will be a more pleasant DD and it’s definitely a better car by an order of magnitude. Money well spent!
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #44
the_swiSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I've been dailying my 6MT 2SS to and from work ever since I got it. At first, I had trouble getting used to the clutch, as the bitepoint is very high up in the pedal travel (was used to the opposite lol). Since my underground car park is at a slope, I quickly learned and now I can park just as easily as my AT car (Reverse uphill out the space, with inches between wall and snout of the car, no hill-hold assist).

I also stalled it a few times in traffic (bit embarrassing lol), but now 1200 miles later I have no more issues even in dense start-stop traffic.

As for comfort, I'm in love with the car. The moment I drop into the Recaros, I'm the "zone". Due to the high window line and the shape of the cabin, I feel immensely safe in the car. MRC does an amazing job day to day at adapting even to bad roads and I can honestly say it's the best suspension I've experienced so far (Coming from a line of German cars). Visibility did take a little time to get used to, but I find the mirrors to be very good (in Europe, we get the huge SUV mirrors with built-in blind spot monitoring standard). When the 3 mirrors are set correctly, I have no visibilty issues at all.

In addition, the car has all the amenities and features I want in a car (I work in IT, so gadgets and screens are important to me.) Bluetooth connects to my S9 before I've even sat down and buckled my belt, Android Auto works flawlessly and the Bose system is a delight IMO. The central display provides all teh information you'd want a car nerd! I keep my display on the oil temp gauge most of the time.

One thing I was surprised by was how well the car can do the balance between sporty spirited driving and relaxed cruising. You can have it both ways, and both ways feel awesome, the car adapts to my mood perfectly.

What never gets old is the sound! I advise everyone with NPP to pull their fuse immediately, the car then always sounds great and you don't have the weird rattling "effects" of the valves. Tunnel runs are a blast, and I've given myself tinnitus on more than one occasion.

The only things that bother me a little is that there is limited storage in the cabin, the tight trunk opening and that the rear seats are indeed useless, because I keep the front seats all the way back (6'2" with long legs).

At first I was scared to daily drive it, thinking it would be more similar to a supercar, but all in all it is a very docile and super easy to drive car! I turn heads almost everywhere I go and the kids love it!

PS: Parking has turned into a real chore! No spot is ever good enough!

Black Bowties - GM Fuel Door - Black Camaro Fender Logo - K&N Air Filter - Katech ported TB - GM Dark Tail Lights - GM ZL1 1LE 3rd Brake Light - HRE FF04 - Eibach Springs
the_swiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #45
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Mine is my DD...its bad as in badazz.

Last edited by Deputy Dog; 08-16-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #46
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
Do you guys think it is still drivable in ohio winters with proper tires? My commute is about 20 miles a day and I have been thinking getting a SS for a while and I feel like I might find a good deal on leftover 17s and 18s at the end of this year.
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #47
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

They have a snow/ice setting, but a RWD with a light rear end and tons of torque certainly isn’t an optimal car for driving on snow and ice. You’ll need a light foot.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #48
ImmDanny

Drives: 2021 1SS, 1969 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_swiSS View Post
I've been dailying my 6MT 2SS to and from work ever since I got it. At first, I had trouble getting used to the clutch, as the bitepoint is very high up in the pedal travel (was used to the opposite lol). Since my underground car park is at a slope, I quickly learned and now I can park just as easily as my AT car (Reverse uphill out the space, with inches between wall and snout of the car, no hill-hold assist).

I also stalled it a few times in traffic (bit embarrassing lol), but now 1200 miles later I have no more issues even in dense start-stop traffic.

As for comfort, I'm in love with the car. The moment I drop into the Recaros, I'm the "zone". Due to the high window line and the shape of the cabin, I feel immensely safe in the car. MRC does an amazing job day to day at adapting even to bad roads and I can honestly say it's the best suspension I've experienced so far (Coming from a line of German cars). Visibility did take a little time to get used to, but I find the mirrors to be very good (in Europe, we get the huge SUV mirrors with built-in blind spot monitoring standard). When the 3 mirrors are set correctly, I have no visibilty issues at all.

In addition, the car has all the amenities and features I want in a car (I work in IT, so gadgets and screens are important to me.) Bluetooth connects to my S9 before I've even sat down and buckled my belt, Android Auto works flawlessly and the Bose system is a delight IMO. The central display provides all teh information you'd want a car nerd! I keep my display on the oil temp gauge most of the time.

One thing I was surprised by was how well the car can do the balance between sporty spirited driving and relaxed cruising. You can have it both ways, and both ways feel awesome, the car adapts to my mood perfectly.

What never gets old is the sound! I advise everyone with NPP to pull their fuse immediately, the car then always sounds great and you don't have the weird rattling "effects" of the valves. Tunnel runs are a blast, and I've given myself tinnitus on more than one occasion.

The only things that bother me a little is that there is limited storage in the cabin, the tight trunk opening and that the rear seats are indeed useless, because I keep the front seats all the way back (6'2" with long legs).

At first I was scared to daily drive it, thinking it would be more similar to a supercar, but all in all it is a very docile and super easy to drive car! I turn heads almost everywhere I go and the kids love it!

PS: Parking has turned into a real chore! No spot is ever good enough!
Thank you for write up! So I’m guessing you have the 1LE package? Or did you just get the Recaros separately? There’s a 2SS 1LE CPO near me and I’m curious if the Recaros are comfy or not. Does the heating/ventilation still work with the Recaros?
ImmDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:34 PM   #49
ImmDanny

Drives: 2021 1SS, 1969 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I put just over 40,000 miles on my 2016 1SS A8 in two years as a DD with the occasional road. trip. I averaged 20.9 MPG. The seats were very comfortable and she was a joy to drive. Visibility was not as bad as expected other than having to be aware of curbs and low obstacles on the sides. Atlanta streets could be a bit rough even in Touring mode. I like the steering wheel low, but that blocked my view of the speedometer. The stereo was inferior and Bluetooth syncing was occasionally a pain. I grew to dislike the AT.

I just bought a 2018 1SS 1LE. I definitely prefer the manual, but it’s already apparent mileage will suffer. I don’t care about that. I don’t like the 2nd to 4th thing. The seats are just as comfortable with more side support. The Bluetooth seems to work better and the stereo sounds better. The MRC makes city driving much more pleasant. The HUD solved my problem with seeing MPH. This may contradict expectations but I think this one will be a more pleasant DD and it’s definitely a better car by an order of magnitude. Money well spent!
I know you haven’t had the 1LE for too long but the seats are good right? Concerned the Recaros are too “aggressive” and uncomfortable. I’m also curious abknt the heated and vented sears but the 1SS doesn’t have that I believe.
ImmDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:34 AM   #50
robert corbin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I bought my '17 black 2SS coupe in July of '17. Of the 35 brand new GM cars that I've purchased since graduating from college in 1970- this car is the best. 17 of the 35 have been manuals, 4 were Z28s, 4 were Corvettes (all 8 were sticks). The panel fit and paint job on this car are both superb. The red leather seats always get a "thumbs up" for their contrast with the black paint outside. (The women are back!!!) The clutch takeup is perfect. I could not be happier. It is the PERFECT car for me at age 70. The first time at the drag strip last summer- I beat a '16 5 liter Mustang GT in the 4th round of eliminations. The poor kid was crushed! His whole identity was that car. (Next time I'll let him win!) My Camaro was going to be a DD, but after the 1st two weeks of ownership, I realized that it's a keeper. Its now 13 months old and is 4100 miles from new. It sits next to my '13 Corvette 427 convertible in the garage. The 'Vette is nearly a second and 9MPH faster in the quarter mile, but structurally the Camaro is a much tighter car, and turns just as many heads. Yesterday at breakfast, I was parked next to a guy driving a brand new Subaru WRX STi. Turns out, he is 82!! We both favorably commented on each other's cars and agreed that most other "oldsters" are now driving Camrys and Accords. My theory is: Life is short- drive something worth driving.
robert corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:34 AM   #51
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmDanny View Post
I know you haven’t had the 1LE for too long but the seats are good right? Concerned the Recaros are too “aggressive” and uncomfortable. I’m also curious abknt the heated and vented sears but the 1SS doesn’t have that I believe.
When I bought my 2016 I told my wife the seats were the most comfortable I’ve ever had. The Recaro seats are just as good, but with slightly more support on the sides, perfect for aggressive moves through turns.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #52
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post
Do you guys think it is still drivable in ohio winters with proper tires? My commute is about 20 miles a day and I have been thinking getting a SS for a while and I feel like I might find a good deal on leftover 17s and 18s at the end of this year.
No problem. I use a set of 18" Camaro LT wheels with Pirelli Sotozero winter tires. Better than my front drive Imapala SS with all seasons - in Chicago snow too.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #53
the_swiSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmDanny View Post
Thank you for write up! So I’m guessing you have the 1LE package? Or did you just get the Recaros separately? There’s a 2SS 1LE CPO near me and I’m curious if the Recaros are comfy or not. Does the heating/ventilation still work with the Recaros?
Hey, no problem! In Europe, there is no 1LE package. All we get is a 2SS/2LT loaded equivalent based on either the 2.0 or the 6.2 motors. The only options are different wheels, colors, Recaros, MRC, NPP and sunroof. Everything else is standard over here on the V8. Mine has everything except the sunroof.

As for comfort, I think the Recaros are great. I'm about 6'2" 250lbs-ish and I fit just fine. Granted the seat is all the way back, so foget the back seats. Heating and Ventilation also works very well with the Recaros. Recaros were a must have option for me, because I think the interior looks miles better with them. Also, they hug you really well in tight corners, I don't have to brace myself against the floor or steering wheel anymore.

I suggest you try both seats at a dealer and see which fits you best!

Black Bowties - GM Fuel Door - Black Camaro Fender Logo - K&N Air Filter - Katech ported TB - GM Dark Tail Lights - GM ZL1 1LE 3rd Brake Light - HRE FF04 - Eibach Springs
the_swiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #54
Amxguy1970

Drives: V8
Sounds like the 2SS non 1LE is the way to go. If you aren't going to track it and just like the looks you can add the visual stuff for much cheaper than the whole package and save some coin (which is probably a good idea at that age) over the mechanical bits you won't utilize but enjoy the creature comforts in the AZ heat; plus it will ride a little better as well.

Not that the regular SS can't track if you do change your tune. When I am ready to get one it will see track duty on occasion and even I will go regular SS.

Tyler
Amxguy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #55
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
I have a 1SS and I LOVE the car. I'm used to amenities and tech and the only thing I REALLY wish I had was HUD. Drives like a caddy with an LT1 in it cause thats what it is. I have never owned a car I loved more.

All the best,

Jared
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #56
orange blaze
Red Hot SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Thumbs up

Went on a trip this spring putting on 6000 miles and loved every minute of it. I have the 2SS and it feels like a luxury car compared to my 2011.
orange blaze is offline   Reply With Quote