Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-01-2018, 10:44 PM   #1
yamahamach1
Yamahamach1

Drives: 2016 2ss m6
Procharger At High elevation

Hey new to the form so I’m hopeing I’m posting this in the correct spot anyway thinking about getting the Procharger kit for my 16 2ss m6 just have a few questions thinking some of you might beable to help me with

Question 1 (setting up for question 2)what octane fuel is this supercharger tuned to run on they say “pump gas” but is that 91 or 93 and at what elevation sea level ? I guess pretty much how aggressive does the canned tune have the timeing set at (the reason I ask is because dew to the elevation(I assume) 91 is the highest pump gas in the state )
Question 2
So I live in Utah at about 6000ft so I’m guessing whp is at about 320hp +- 40 hp depending on the day and the da so even with the supercharger that would probably only score me about 5psi on a 7psi pulley (dew to elevation loss again)
So the 130-150 hp would probably only net me about +100 to wheels so I would be setting at factory horsepower and I’m not happy with that I would like to get it to the 530-550 that the guys at sea level have so I talked to Procharger about it and they told me my options are
Deal with it or get the tuner kit get a smaller pully and get it dyno tuned ( which is probably the route I will go )
But my question is why won’t the canned calibration work for me at my elevation I figure I’d do the 3.7 pully witch is supposed to get 11psi ish witch would get me about 9psi at my elevation witch depending on the day I’m setting at about 12.7 atmospheric pressure +9boost total of about 21.7 say you guys at seal level have 14.7+ the 7boost is the same 21.7 so how can the map sensor tell the difference? I get there would be small differences depenting on the temp humidity ect ect but in basic theory is should be the exsact same no Tuneing modification required correct if not why I need a good exsplanation if possible thanks in advance
Ps I get if I were to go to lower elevation i would haft to ether change pully back or stay out of boost
yamahamach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
ARCTIC

Drives: 2017 1SS convertible
This might not be as helpful as what you're looking for but my buddy has a procharger on his snowmobile and he rides it at several different elevations and it seems to do very well. It is setup for 7-9,000 ft elevation and it still seems to run flawlessly at 11,000 too. The change in elevation does not have as big of an effect on the boosted power as it does a naturally aspirated motor. Never has changed the pulley out. You cannot ride that machine at sea level without full racegas but even a stock machine is on the cusp of detonation with anything less than 91 octane.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
ProCharger

Drives: Many C7's
Our calibration will work fine at your elevation.

We are at 700 feet here in KC, and I just returned from CO where I was at 10,000
No tune changes. (I did take a jeep to 13,800, however that was a rental lol)
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
yamahamach1
Yamahamach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post

We are at 700 feet here in KC, and I just returned from CO where I was at 10,000
I understand that the standerd calibration will work at my elevation what I’m asking tho is would it work with a smaller pully at my elevation sized so that I am getting the same Psia (psi atmospheric) that someone at sea level or close to would get ?
Old 07-03-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
yamahamach1
Yamahamach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
This might not be as helpful as what you're looking for but my buddy has a procharger on his snowmobile and he rides it at several different elevations and it seems to do very well. It is setup for 7-9,000 ft elevation and it still seems to run flawlessly at 11,000 too. The change in elevation does not have as big of an effect on the boosted power as it does a naturally aspirated motor. Never has changed the pulley out. You cannot ride that machine at sea level without full racegas but even a stock machine is on the cusp of detonation with anything less than 91 octane.
That’s pretty cool never seen a supercharged sled guys around here are all turbo then there is same power at all elevations turbine just spin faster to make up for thiner air u know boostpressure is controlled by Wastegate
Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post

OK, so lets say it was the exact opposite situation. You lived in Colorado and had the 3.7 pulley and were tuned for 10,000 ft. Then drive it to sea level...what would happen if you went WOT..stock motor?
Old 07-04-2018, 11:37 PM   #7
yamahamach1
Yamahamach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
OK, so lets say it was the exact opposite situation. You lived in Colorado and had the 3.7 pulley and were tuned for 10,000 ft. Then drive it to sea level...what would happen if you went WOT..stock motor?
My guess would be you would build full 11 Psi pully is rated for witch is equivalent to about 650 whp they say so unless u were runing meth you would probably run out of fuel run lean or timeing would be to far advanced for boost pressure and you would get detonation and crack a ringland would be my guess unless you tuber could set it in a fail safe way so that if it saw any higher then say 8 Psi it would limit rpm or maybe retard timeing (but still may run lean if all it did was retard timeing fuel system still couldn’t keep up )
Old 07-05-2018, 06:28 AM   #8
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
More power = safer dyno tune. You cant expect a lot from canned tune.

If you need a tuner in Utah, pm me.
Chef-j is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boost camaro, procharger