Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-13-2018, 11:57 PM   #1135
Arugon

Drives: Summit White Camaro SS
It seems most people on these forums don't understand that the A10 Transmission in the new SS IS NOT the same A10 from the ZL1. The SS is getting the A10 transmission from the Silverado NOT the ZL1.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:01 AM   #1136
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arugon View Post
It seems most people on these forums don't understand that the A10 Transmission in the new SS IS NOT the same A10 from the ZL1. The SS is getting the A10 transmission from the Silverado NOT the ZL1.
Thx for pointing it out. Do you know why that is and how they differ? What does it really mean perf wise etc?
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:25 AM   #1137
Arugon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Thx for pointing it out. Do you know why that is and how they differ? What does it really mean perf wise etc?
Unfortunately I'm no transmission expert but as far as I know it is still up in the air. The only thing I am certain of atm regarding the difference between the 10L80 Transmission (2019 SS) vs. the 10L90 Transmission (ZL1) is that the 10L80 cannot handle as much power as the ZL1 variant. It is still very unclear how the transmission will perform compared to the A10 that is in the ZL1 but I think it is safe to say that the SS is getting an inferior version of the A10.

Here is a link to the transmission that will be in the new SS, maybe someone else can deduce a little more than I can: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-tr...s/10lxx/10l80/
Old 04-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #1138
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Unfortunately I'm no transmission expert but as far as I know it is still up in the air. The only thing I am certain of atm regarding the difference between the 10L80 Transmission (2019 SS) vs. the 10L90 Transmission (ZL1) is that the 10L80 cannot handle as much power as the ZL1 variant. It is still very unclear how the transmission will perform compared to the A10 that is in the ZL1 but I think it is safe to say that the SS is getting an inferior version of the A10.

Here is a link to the transmission that will be in the new SS, maybe someone else can deduce a little more than I can: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-tr...s/10lxx/10l80/
Really it doesn't need to handle the same amount of power. So I guess it depends on your definition of inferior. Sure, on paper and side by side without considering anything else but the transmission itself, the L80 transmission is inferior to the L90. However is it really inferior for the application?

As an engineer I don't see why I'd use a part that costs more when I can use a part that costs less and does the job just as well. Cost is cheaper to the customer and profit is potentially higher with the same amount of reliability.

If it works correctly for the job I wouldn't consider it inferior. I'd consider the ZL1 version in the SS overkill.

However, to your point which I believe is that this transmission isn't as tested in the performance area as the L90. And that is probably an accurate statement. Time will tell how it works out. But the 10 speed can't be worse than the current 8 speed with all it's issues. *knocks on wooden desk*

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:31 AM   #1139
Arugon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post
Technically it doesn't need to handle the same amount of power. I guess it depends on your definition of inferior.

If it works correctly for the job I wouldn't consider it inferior. I'd consider the ZL1 version in the SS overkill.
I think the simple fact that the transmission cannot handle as much power as it's counterpart does make it inferior regardless of whether that power threshold is necessary or not; especially considering the LT1 platform is one that is often heavily modded.

Just the way I see it, not trying to downplay the new trans at all as I am yet to see actual performance numbers from it. Just trying to portray the facts that I am aware of atm for everyone.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:41 AM   #1140
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
I think the simple fact that the transmission cannot handle as much power as it's counterpart does make it inferior regardless of whether that power threshold is necessary or not; especially considering the LT1 platform is one that is often heavily modded.

Just the way I see it, not trying to downplay the new trans at all as I am yet to see actual performance numbers from it. Just trying to portray the facts that I am aware of atm for everyone.
And I understand that. That's why I went back and added that technically from a direct comparison standpoint, you're absolutely correct.

However, I know GM isn't worried about modding when they build these cars, even though a lot of us definitely are.

I wonder what the cost difference is between the two?

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:49 AM   #1141
Arugon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post
And I understand that. That's why I went back and added that technically from a direct comparison standpoint, you're absolutely correct.

However, I know GM isn't worried about modding when they build these cars, even though a lot of us definitely are.

I wonder what the cost difference is between the two?
Wish I could say, Chevy's website doesn't even have the current ZL1 transmission available on their webiste :(

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/transmissions
Old 04-14-2018, 01:08 AM   #1142
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
How has the A10 held up in the Silverado? Or is it too soon to tell? As a layman, I would think if A10 is good/strong enough for a huge truck, it's good enough for a camaro.....
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:16 AM   #1143
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Yesterday I found out why I think the new DRLs look strange. I drove behind a current Renault Megane, and their rear lights is 100% identical to the new Camaro DRLs, even down to the point where you have the little black spot in the middle where the trunk opening is at the Megane and the headlight in the Camaro
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2018, 03:27 AM   #1144
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
Yesterday I found out why I think the new DRLs look strange. I drove behind a current Renault Megane, and their rear lights is 100% identical to the new Camaro DRLs, even down to the point where you have the little black spot in the middle where the trunk opening is at the Megane and the headlight in the Camaro
They made fun of the Aston Martin Vantage for the rear being the same as some French car too.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:33 AM   #1145
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:

Power is not really the key measurement for the transmission. Torque is the more applicable measurement. How much torque can it handle. I imagine since it is used in the Silverado, that it can handle torque pretty well. Though the question might be can it handle it under sudden load as would happen more frequently in a Camaro as opposed to the truck.

The thing to keep in mind, is that there is factor of cost, as well as the factor of availability. GM knows they will sell many more SS's than ZL1's. Using the 10L80, being used in another vehicle reduces the cost per unit, as volume purchasing dictates. Given that the SS is more likely to be purchased as a daily driver, it may be the superior choice for that application.

This brings us to the question of performance. Is it able to shift as quickly and smoothly as the 10L90? So long as the reliability is there, this is what will decide whether this is an inferior transmission to the 10L90, given the application. If it performs on par behind the LT1, all is good, just don't put an LT4 n front of it.

Now, if modification is the thing. I would guess that the 10L90 would share the same architecture, so it may not be too difficult of a swap.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:25 AM   #1146
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
It IS the same basic transmission that GM and Ford share.

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipboo...transmission#1
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:37 AM   #1147
FreBMX

Drives: 2017 Camaro rs
It looks like GM reserves the best front fascia design (the current one IMO) for their top model, the ZL1, as that front fascia stays unchanged. So I'm not convinced the current LT's and SS's will look dated, as we still have the closest ressamblence to the ZL1 in our 6thgen.
Still not feeling the refresh, even after a few days
FreBMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:52 AM   #1148
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
How has the A10 held up in the Silverado? Or is it too soon to tell? As a layman, I would think if A10 is good/strong enough for a huge truck, it's good enough for a camaro.....
It's been flawless in the Silverado as well. These transmissions were originally built by GM and Ford for trucks. Camaro Team took it to another level, changed the front end and tuned it up for performance. I doubt anyone will notice 80 v 90 unless you're modding and I'm sure we will have more details on exactly what those differences are down the line. Right now it's all just speculation.

Maybe ask this question in the Ask Al section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Power is not really the key measurement for the transmission. Torque is the more applicable measurement. How much torque can it handle. I imagine since it is used in the Silverado, that it can handle torque pretty well. Though the question might be can it handle it under sudden load as would happen more frequently in a Camaro as opposed to the truck.

The thing to keep in mind, is that there is factor of cost, as well as the factor of availability. GM knows they will sell many more SS's than ZL1's. Using the 10L80, being used in another vehicle reduces the cost per unit, as volume purchasing dictates. Given that the SS is more likely to be purchased as a daily driver, it may be the superior choice for that application.

This brings us to the question of performance. Is it able to shift as quickly and smoothly as the 10L90? So long as the reliability is there, this is what will decide whether this is an inferior transmission to the 10L90, given the application. If it performs on par behind the LT1, all is good, just don't put an LT4 n front of it.

Now, if modification is the thing. I would guess that the 10L90 would share the same architecture, so it may not be too difficult of a swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreBMX View Post
It looks like GM reserves the best front fascia design (the current one IMO) for their top model, the ZL1, as that front fascia stays unchanged. So I'm not convinced the current LT's and SS's will look dated, as we still have the closest ressamblence to the ZL1 in our 6thgen.
Still not feeling the refresh, even after a few days
You make a good point here.

Tags
2019 camaro refresh, 2020 camrao, becky, beckyd, camaro refresh, camarodestroyed, new camaro, ugly camaro, wtf?!?!