Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
bryaannnn6

That Wing Paint!

I'm pretty sure most of us are now aware of what happens to most of our cars when you take off that wing! So I went to my somewhat local chevy dealer(CA), Martin Chevrolet today. I took my wing off my 1LE, at 700 miles. I'm at 1022 now. I had a couple of scuffs. Couple marks. Not as bad as some I've seen on here. But I'll post pictures. Anyways there I am going back and forth, trying to get them to paint it and all!

Anyways. Mine is a 15' and I know they have a TSB for the 2010-2012 models. As I llet the person know. My question is for those who have a newer Camaro, who did you speak with? And how were you able to convince them. Because they told me that I REMOVED the wing. That was there from factory. And that all wings do that. And on and on. I need advice on whom to speak to or how to go about it. Because I think it should still be a TSB. Worst part is I have the z/28 style spoiler, just waiting to get slapped on top of that 1LE! here's my damage, not too bad. teasing myself just seeing how it would fit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
bryaannnn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I don't get it . Why are you worried about this. There is no exposed raw metal so it won't rust . Put your spoiler back on and be happy. Why did you take it off anyways . It looks good on .

Sorry I'm a couple beers in and I just don't get it . lol
Old 08-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
bryaannnn6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I don't get it . Why are you worried about this. There is no exposed raw metal so it won't rust . Put your spoiler back on and be happy. Why did you take it off anyways . It looks good on .

Sorry I'm a couple beers in and I just don't get it . lol
Because I'm going to put the z/28 wing! Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
mpd659

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
I was thinking of doing the same thing to my 2014 SS. Does the z28 wing cover up everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mpd659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
bryaannnn6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.evenson.10 View Post
I was thinking of doing the same thing to my 2014 SS. Does the z28 wing cover up everything?

Yeah it does. But I feel meticulous about it. Lol although mine isn't as bad as others. I made sure I took off the wing before I even hit 1k miles.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
If you repaint it, I think the z28 wing will do the exact same thing. It's going to rub the paint down when the wind chafes it on the trunklid. I wouldn't worry about it- mines 15 times worst than this!

Old 08-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
If your that concerned, mask it off and get a spray can of tough primer paint and hit it before you put he other wing back on. no one will see it and you will be able to close your eyes at night and sleep better. LOL
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Why couldn't you put some clear silicone around the holes and at a few spots on the spoiler?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #9
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I would turn down your claim. If you want to be particular, that would come at your expense.
Seems a little silly to me to expect to remove body parts and be concerned about the paint concealed by being assembled.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #10
bryaannnn6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
I would turn down your claim. If you want to be particular, that would come at your expense.
Seems a little silly to me to expect to remove body parts and be concerned about the paint concealed by being assembled.
There's been a TSB for 2010-2012 years on it. Why can't the newer years get one lol

Old 08-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Mine was worn down to the metal when I removed the stock spoiler. I just touched it up and installed the Z28 spoiler and forgot about it. The new spoiler covers it up. Like others have said, the new one will rub through the paint too. It's from the downforce created when you drive. Nothing you can do about it. Don't aggravate yourself over something you can't control Just touch it up and find something else to be anal about. lol..

Besides, what if they paint your deck lid and it doesn't match perfect?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #12
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryaannnn6 View Post
There's been a TSB for 2010-2012 years on it. Why can't the newer years get one lol

I don't issue TSB's... but unless GM publishes one for the later cars, I wouldn't put a claim through for paint underneath a spoiler that isn't visible and will just be damaged exactly the same way immediately after installing the spoiler.
If GM called and gave me the op codes and times and pre-approval, then that would change things.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:35 AM   #13
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
In honesty, I can see his concern if the paint is being rubbed off to the bare metal. that does need to be eliminated or it will rust and spread in the long run. Get a good primer on it before the reinstall. check it again in a year and see.
You could also consider a rubber thin washer on the reinstall, let the rubber take the vibration instead of the paint.

Better yet, you could also go to the parts dept and order some of the clear 1 inch squares that they use for the inside of the trunk where the bumpers hit and use them under the spoiler where it mounts . I think that would be a perfect solution to this problem and give you a tight fit as well with superior paint protection. This clear vinyl material they use for the bumpers to hit the deck lid is meant to take repeated rubbing abuse like this and not show signs of wear and it's only about 3 bucks.

Last edited by lawdog; 08-24-2015 at 01:22 PM.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #14
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Posted in another thread about this problem ... trying to prevent future damage (agree with previous post):

On the factory SS spoiler there is an adhesive/plastic film that is bonded to the rubber gaskets (2 large and 2 small triangle gaskets on each end underneath the spoiler).
I removed the spoiler to examine and clean under it (4K miles) and saw that some of the adhesive/plastic film was peeling off the gaskets. The gaskets also act like spacers holding the spoiler a certain distance off the trunklid. And in the middle of the spoiler there is thin foam strips set in a square to make a large contact area cushion between spoiler and trunk lid.
Downforce causes the spoiler to move down and contact the paint, especially when the cushions compress.
There was also some scuffing off of the paint down to the trunk metal in the area of the gaskets. What I discovered is that dirt accumulated under the spoiler near the mount points acted like an abrasive rubbing off the paint where clearance was not wide enough.

To help reduce the problem, I clear coated over the two small bare metal spots. Put on some clear Xpel film. Then used 3M double-sided tape/cushion under the original gaskets to add extra thickness. Will try to keep dirt from accumulating there in the future.
At some point I need to re-inspect to see if this mod helped.
Ron
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote