Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
trackjunkie61

Drives: 2017 1LE
Cayman vs 1LE Track Comparison

While searching for a used 1LE, my buddy spotted a 2007 Cayman S with just over 10,000 miles on Rennlist at a bargain price, so I bought it. Wouldn't you know, the 1LE guy I was negotiating with came way down on his price a few days latter, so I bought it too. I drove them both on the street for several weeks and decided I was going to keep the Cayman. Visibility and more readily being able to reach its limits were the deciding factors.

I track prepped the Cayman with deep oil sump and lower control arms. I hit the track last weekend on Saturday at MSRH with Chin. It rained for the morning sessions, but the Cayman fit like an old baseball glove, fun at 10/10th (so predictable). The track dried out in the afternoon, went out again, having a blast, but session cut short by white smoke coming out my tailpipe. The one thing I wasn't able to change was the Air-Oil-Separator which is a known issue on this model. Hence, put it up for the weekend.

Since I still had the Camaro, I took it out on Sunday. Started in Tour Competition mode. She's definitely a big girl, but she can dance! What an animal on the track. My previous track car was a prepped BMW E36 M3. Hence, the acceleration felt almost brutal. I was amazed at how well you can put the power down (way to go e-diff). It did require almost two full warm-up laps on stock rubber to get temp in the tires.

Next session, went out in Track Comp1. I came in early as I found it way too obtrusive (even more than Tour Comp). Switched to Track Comp2 which worked well and was nice knowing there is some assistance if it really got out of whack. By the end of the day, I was passing most everyone in the instructor/red run group. On the 2.4 mile track, I'm guessing the Cayman would've run at or just under 1:50.00s laps. The Camaro was running low 1:46.00s laps (a couple more seconds to be gained for sure). The grip is also amazing, I was gaining on S2000's with full aero in long sweepers.

So the Cayman is for sale. The two cars couldn't be more different, most notably in weight (tossability). The Cayman will go anywhere, do anything and feel extremely predictable the whole time. It just doesn't have the horsepower to make it as entertaining as the Camaro. The pedal is more of an on/off switch. On the track, the Camaro just comes alive. Steering, braking and throttle all need heightened attention just from the sheer speed and momentum this thing is able to achieve. Plus, it has a warranty that covers track usage.

Upcoming mods: Hawk DTC60 pads all around, Brembo HTC64 brake fluid flush, rear diff flush, wheel/tires, and track alignment.

I have previously owned Apex rims so most likely will get SM-10 rims. Would appreciate any advice on 18" or 19" by 10" or 10.5". I am leaning towards 18x10 et25 with square 295/30 Toyo R888R tires ($260 on amazon). Previously I have run Dunlop Direzza II, RE71R, RS-3 and 4, Nitto NT-01. I am nervous about the Toyo's so chime in if you've had good or bad experience.
trackjunkie61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Right on! Thanks for sharing your experience
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackjunkie61 View Post
I have previously owned Apex rims so most likely will get SM-10 rims. Would appreciate any advice on 18" or 19" by 10" or 10.5". I am leaning towards 18x10 et25 with square 295/30 Toyo R888R tires ($260 on amazon). Previously I have run Dunlop Direzza II, RE71R, RS-3 and 4, Nitto NT-01. I am nervous about the Toyo's so chime in if you've had good or bad experience.
I'm currently running the Apex PS-7 18x10.5 square setup with 295 R888R's so almost exactly what you are looking at. I wouldn't hesitate to run the 18's. The increase in acceleration is noticeable (both from reduced weight and smaller diameter), and of course the tires will be cheaper. You do need to run a spacer for the 10.5's to clear the shock in front. I run a 12mm spacer with correct hub ring built in.

I just finished my first day with the R888R's. So far I like them, they seem to hold about .1-.2G more than the stock Goodyears. Wear looks reasonable after the first day. Time will tell if they heat cycle out. One thing to note is they are LOUD! They howl constantly. I didn't think noise of a track tire would matter to me, but it honestly started to get annoying
Attached Images

Last edited by RXtacy; 04-22-2018 at 10:18 PM.
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
trackjunkie61

Drives: 2017 1LE
Thanks for the reply. Interesting note about the tire noise. Nice to hear the R888R have decent grip and tread wear.

What side skirts are those? Much bigger than the ZL1s.
trackjunkie61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Nice write up OP.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackjunkie61 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Interesting note about the tire noise. Nice to hear the R888R have decent grip and tread wear.

What side skirts are those? Much bigger than the ZL1s.
6LE designs
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, cayman, porsche, race, track