Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 12-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #15
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
Please clarify. Does the starter run at normal speed and it just takes the engine longer to start, or is the starter cranking slower than normal? Mine cranks fine, but takes a second or so for the engine to start. That would seem normal to me.
Go to 4:17 of the video. Not normal. It seems like a very low battery. But, I've never seen a low battery be able to crank that long. Usually you'll hear just a bunch of clicks by then.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:40 PM   #16
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
It sounds so sad! Mine has the same problem except it only cranks 2-3 times like that and then turns over.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:18 PM   #17
Red Leader

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Red Hot
It is definitely a starter issue. It may be from heat soak or it may be a faulty starter, or it may be a combination of both. Like I had stated in my earlier post it happens on hot days after hard driving. Any other time car starts up almost right away as it should. I don't have any videos but when my starter finally gave up it would make about one to two very slow revolutions of the starter and all interior lights dimmed to almost nothing before the car would go back to ACC mode. The starter was drawing too much amperage. I even let it sit for about 30 min hoping it would cool off enough to restart but then when I tried cranking it again smoke came out from under the hood and you could smell the starter burning up. At that point just had it towed to dealer where starter was replaced and have had no issues since, but I have not driven it hard in hot weather since so I can't totally say if it is fixed. But it was very similar to the slow start in the video, but even slower.
Black Bow Ties
Black Metallic Rally Stripes
Black Wheels With Red Outline

TPW 12/14/15
1G1FE1R72G0133041 - 12/16 built
2/19/16 - It's mine!!

Previous rides:
2011 Camaro LS
2010 Camaro SS
1988 Honda Civic Hatch B18C1 swap
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #18
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampslife View Post
SO THIS IS THE SECOND STARTER THAT HAS BEEN INSTALLED ON MY 16 SS. NOW, THIS STARTER IS STARTING TO DO THE SAME THING AS MY FIRST ONE DID AFTER 2 MONTHS OF RUNNING GREAT.
There have been a lot of good ideas here, but the fact that a 2nd starter worked well then somehow developed a problem is difficult to understand.
I assume you will be taking this in again for warranty service.
I think you may have a sliding pinion engagement problem. If the gears do not engage smoothly, the flywheel and/or sliding pinion will wear, and this will take time to happen. Assuming you do get a new starter (likely approach by service), I would ask them to examine the sliding pinion for unusual wear patterns. They most likely did not do this last time. Probably just threw out the old starter and were happy when the new one worked.
Battery is worth checking, but that would not explain why a brand new starter worked immediately.
Heat soak sounds unlikely. Heat soak is typically a solenoid problem and prevents engagement. Sounds like you are getting engagement, then slow cranking.
Starter relay contacts can wear, but, again, a new starter would likely have problems right away if the relay contacts were worn.
Are you 6 speed or automatic? Clutch drag can be a problem in manual cars (clutch not fully pulling back pressure plate when depressed).
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #19
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
There was another post but I can't find it.was something to do with crankshaft main thrust bearing.
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #20
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
I’m having the same issue on my 2016 ss. Hopefully it’s just the starter. Mine cranks at times and it won’t start at all. Then a burned smell happens right after. They told me that it’s because of my audio sound system I put on. Don’t believe that, I’ve had it for a over a month and now it’s happening.
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #21
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
It is definitely a starter issue. It may be from heat soak or it may be a faulty starter, or it may be a combination of both. Like I had stated in my earlier post it happens on hot days after hard driving. Any other time car starts up almost right away as it should. I don't have any videos but when my starter finally gave up it would make about one to two very slow revolutions of the starter and all interior lights dimmed to almost nothing before the car would go back to ACC mode. The starter was drawing too much amperage. I even let it sit for about 30 min hoping it would cool off enough to restart but then when I tried cranking it again smoke came out from under the hood and you could smell the starter burning up. At that point just had it towed to dealer where starter was replaced and have had no issues since, but I have not driven it hard in hot weather since so I can't totally say if it is fixed. But it was very similar to the slow start in the video, but even slower.
This is the same issue I’m having right now with my car. They tried to tell me that it’s because of my aftermarket sound system . I don’t believe that since I’ve had them disconnect all my system so they can diagnose my car without it but it keeps doing the same problem.
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #22
rotohead

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS
Nothing New started in1967 /////http://camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=874.0
rotohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #23
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Don't know about the link and the new thread. I have LTs, so when it started going over 100 in Texas, the starter cranked slowly, now that it is 102 in the shade, about 110 in the lot, my starter is locked up. I will get a new stater and wrap the header tubes near the starter. It is a heat issue no doubt in my mind the stater expands internally and is rubbing against something and when too hot does not spin at all.

OK, I get it, I have LT and this is Texas, but clearly, there is a heat / performance issue with starter, OEM. I going to do a rebuild and probably pull the OEM apart.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:59 PM   #24
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
On my second starter as well. Old starter eventually would not start when the car was hot. It would barely turn over. Got stranded twice. New starter fires right up even when hot. Tested it multiple times. It's only been a month so we will see.
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:46 AM   #25
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
We've seen this type of thing repeatedly with Rotax motors. Hot temps, high compression and the starter just really has a lot of work cut out for itself when hot. MOAR juice is almost always the solution - but if the starter can't handle the load, meh....square one.

It's interesting as the trend - thank God not on Camaro - is for big SUV's to shut off at stops and restart the instant brake pedal release is detected. This must require some big honkin starter capacity?
Old 07-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #26
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
many of the start stop starters on hybrids are build into the bell housing.... FYI.

I dropped mine today and you can smell the burned up smell. I put a blanket on the starter, I put the factory shield back on. I heat wrap thee of the header tubes that were close to the starter. Hopefully this one last 3 years!

Will post picks later.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:15 PM   #27
Desertvet91

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ss
I have a 16, same issues. Replaced battery and had a load test on battery, starter and alternator...all checked out good. There are days when it starts up quick and then some that are sluggish. Gauge read around 11.5 to sometimes 14.
Desertvet91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #28
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampslife View Post
SO THIS IS THE SECOND STARTER THAT HAS BEEN INSTALLED ON MY 16 SS. NOW, THIS STARTER IS STARTING TO DO THE SAME THING AS MY FIRST ONE DID AFTER 2 MONTHS OF RUNNING GREAT. WHEN THE NEW STARTER WAS INSTALLED MY CAR WOULD CRANK UP IN NO TIME HALF A SECOND NOW IT TAKES ABOUT 2, HAVE YOU ALL EXPERIENCED THIS ISSUE WITH YOUR CARS AND IF YOU HAVE WHAT SHOULD I DO. I REMEMBER HAVING THIS DISCUSSION A WHILE BACK AND SOMEONE SAID I SHOULD WRAP MY STARTER IN THIS SORT OF HEAT BLOCKING WRAP BUT WHO KNOWS I COULD REALLY USE YOUR HELP! ON THE VIDEO LINK SKIP TO 4:15 SECONDS TO HEAR THE ISSUE IM HAVING.

I've been DD'ing my SS 6 speed for for 2.5 years now. Damn right its a good DD'r.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starter