Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 04-22-2021, 08:14 PM   #1
1LE_L1FE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Discount Tire scratched the finish off my wheel - what should I know about repairs?

Had an awful experience at Discount Tire (called America's Tire in parts of California) in Millbrae, CA yesterday. Ordered a set of the OEM SC3s to replace my worn down set online, went in yesterday for installation. I'll spare you the gory details, but they mounted 3 tires correctly and 1 backwards (front driver side tire had the inside tread on the outside...) and scratched the front passenger side wheel down to the bare metal. Even after I specifically asked them to be careful with the finish on the wheels.

Went back and showed them all this, they flipped remounted the tire and said it was all set and I said "uh, what about my damaged wheel?" The manager filed a claim with corporate, and gave me the number for a local mobile wheel refinisher and said it would be $125 and they'd reimburse me after.

I know nothing about getting wheels refinished, and don't want to get some half-assed fix on my not cheap 1LE wheels. What do I need to know before I get back to them and agree on some kind of fix? What kind of repair/refinish would be best, or will it always be obvious there was damage? There were already a few very small scuffs, but nothing to bare metal and nothing 10% as big.

https://imgur.com/a/l8kaDVf

1LE_L1FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Bummer: Wheels live a tough life and it is not uncommon to have marks as tires are installed over time.

I've used the local tires stores and always disappointed (even had folks us the claws on alloys!).

I only use a specialty shop...one that I have built a rapport with. And even then it will happen.

Take the $125 and use some touch up paint especially if it is not the first ding (looks like others in the image).
Old 04-23-2021, 02:54 PM   #3
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
I've had good experiences with wheel refinishing services. If it's a good company doing the work, it should look as good as new when it's done. That price sounds accurate. Mine were around $150 apiece. 1 off a trans am and the other off a corolla.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Call around to a few different wheel repair shops, tell them what happened and the extent of damage and get a quote. If its more than $125, contact discount and submit them a copy of the quote. Unfortunately it is what it is and they aren't going to be giving u a new wheel. It sucks, and if be mad as hell, but at the same time, if it's fixable and is "as good as new" it's really your only option.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:24 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
id have them replace it for you f*ck all that shit lol
Old 04-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #6
oklahomaguy

Drives: camaro ss
Good wheel repair shop will have it fixed to where you can’ t even notice it. I have had several fixed.
oklahomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote