Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-29-2019, 06:07 AM   #1
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
LT Headers - Pass ECheck?

I’m very interested in long tube headers. However E-Check makes me nervous. In my part of Ohio cops will never know or check or even care but that damn check every other year has me nervous. Anyone well versed in this subject? I understand the stock cats will need to be replace which means relocated from stock location.
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
Tazz3069

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Go with Stainless Works with High Flow Cats. I did and love the sound.

2016 Camaro 2SS "Black Widow"
Tazz3069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
While we are not familiar with every states laws I have never heard any major issues coming out of Ohio. I would think you would be fine running long tubes. Most places just scan your car for check engine lights these days so as long as you have a good tune you should be fine. If you decide to do it give us a call or send us a pm and we'll make sure we get you the best deal around.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
HouseStark

So you guys are thinking just the check engine light pass and I’m good? Does anyone still do the mirror?
Old 08-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Why do ppl ask these questions on here
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
So you guys are thinking just the check engine light pass and I’m good? Does anyone still do the mirror?

Probably in California.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Why do ppl ask these questions on here
Why do people ask meaningful questions on an open platform whose sole purpose is to provide information in a community setting? You're right wild idea.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have afe power longtubes on my car with cats in california wish me luck lol
Old 08-29-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Why do people ask meaningful questions on an open platform whose sole purpose is to provide information in a community setting? You're right wild idea.
This +1.

OP I'll check with a friend in Columbus. I did some upgrades on his Mustang awhile back, but left the cats alone. I'm not sure if it was just personal preference or if OH does visual checks. I know in CA they'll check with a mirror at the side of the road anytime. Went to visit my son not long ago and tried not to draw attention to myself. Doesn't matter if you live in state or out... you still get a stiff fine if out of compliance.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #10
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Posting this kind of stuff here isn’t a good idea..
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:12 AM   #11
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i have afe power longtubes on my car with cats in california wish me luck lol
Haha good luck sir. I thought anything that wasn’t electric is illegal out there
Old 08-31-2019, 07:14 AM   #12
HouseStark

[QUOTE=Ventmaster;10608649]This +1.

OP I'll check with a friend in Columbus. I did some upgrades on his Mustang awhile back, but left the cats alone. I'm not sure if it was just personal preference or if OH does visual checks. I know in CA they'll check with a mirror at the side of the road anytime. Went to visit my son not long ago and tried not to draw attention to myself. Doesn't matter if you live in state or out... you still get a stiff fine if out of compliance. [/QUOTEthabna

Thanks buddy I appreciate it. Let me know what he says. This is exactly what makes me nervous about it. I know it’s a big performance gain and sounds amazing but I don’t want my car towed and stuff removed thereby wasting like 2k. My car gets driven 2k miles a year so I feel safe on the road but the E-Check makes me a bit nervous
Old 08-31-2019, 10:41 AM   #13
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
The word I get is central Ohio has no emissions inspection or "sniffer" check, but its a big state with some big cities so it is still buyer beware, but they likely won't be looking under your car if you don't have a check engine light and your ECM has all the "readiness" boxes checked (something a good tuner should automatically do).

My friend in Columbus has not heard of this E-check, so it must be something local to you. I'm betting they will just scan your electronics and move on unless the car is drawing alot of attention to itself.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:10 PM   #14
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
even with no check engine, many states do a hookup to the ODBII port and there are several "ready" monitors. In most of Texas you can have ONE not ready... the rest need to be ready. So theoretically if you have headers with cats and all is working well, you should pass in my area of Texas. So in my case they just don't "look at the check engine light". The do a scan of the ODBII port and check for emision ready monitors and it is illegal and no piece of software that I know of can turn off a ready monitor. It is a Federal Law so I think it would be complete nonsense for sombody to say they did unless it is in the dead of night on a dark moom.

If you have headers with NO cats at all, you would fail in my area of Texas as the cat ready monitors would be "not ready".

Theoretically and with some fabrication the second cats could be used as long as the rear 02 are moved behind them.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/misc/faq/ready_not.htm
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote