Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #29
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim2525 View Post
After doing a lot of reading here about tracking and which pads to use, I decided to run stock pads. Advanced group pace with hard braking to the point of engaging ABS on a dry track. No issues at all. Use Brembo HTC64 brake fluid. Use the brake cooling deflectors that came with the car, and no heat issues or brake fade. They emit a lot of dust though. Regular SS, not 1LE brakes.
To me, the *main* reason to ugrade a pad, would be fade, provided i can lock up ABS. So, the same approach as yours. The second reason would be longevity. If i went thru a pad in just a couple of days, I'd surely look for an upgrade (many years ago, i did go thru a pad in a single day...). But the stockers hold up for 6 fast days on average, so pretty good in my book (that includes some margin left for safety vs running it down to a plate).
Cheers!

Do you know what pads does an SS come with?
Just curious to know if the same compound as an SS 1LE, or not. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #30
slimjim2525

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
To me, the *main* reason to ugrade a pad, would be fade, provided i can lock up ABS. So, the same approach as yours. The second reason would be longevity. If i went thru a pad in just a couple of days, I'd surely look for an upgrade (many years ago, i did go thru a pad in a single day...). But the stockers hold up for 6 fast days on average, so pretty good in my book (that includes some margin left for safety vs running it down to a plate).
Cheers!

Do you know what pads does an SS come with?
Just curious to know if the same compound as an SS 1LE, or not. Cheers!
Stock 4 piston pads are Brembo's. Good enough to bring my car down from 133 to 45-50 no problem, no fade. The power stop pads on the other hand are crap IMO. I switched to those for now to keep the brake dust down. Had an oh shit moment, and they don't slow the car for nothing. Looking for a good street pad with little dust.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #31
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Stock 4 piston pads are Brembo's. Good enough to bring my car down from 133 to 45-50 no problem, no fade. The power stop pads on the other hand are crap IMO. I switched to those for now to keep the brake dust down. Had an oh shit moment, and they don't slow the car for nothing. Looking for a good street pad with little dust.
On SS 1LE they are Brembos too, but they are rebranded Ferodos. So likely your car has the samd compound, which would not surprise me given your feedback. You may check post #18 re low dust street pad., that the RealJA had mentioned. No first hand experience with them tho. Cheers, Bill
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #32
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
thanks and yes sir i did i take my wheels off and on before each track event so i can check it out but i thought you said you already have a 6 piston kit?
I do have the 6 pistons. I am looking to make a caliper spacer so I can run the cheaper CTS-V one piece rotors on non-competition days and save my 2 piece rotors for when it counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTXracer View Post
The course was not particularly long, but it was very fast. We were double driving the car, and we started getting long pedal and squishy feel after 5 laps. Maybe it was the first hard heat cycle on the stock pads, I dunno (car only had 2k miles at that time and hadn't yet done any track stuff). But it happened. They got better for the 2nd day of the same course. YMMV of course. Vid - https://youtu.be/4gZ1HewpGko
With more details it makes more sense . Double driving and plenty of heat soak in between runs with no cooling airflow.

Quote:
Another person just labeling the Powerstops as shit without using the proper pads. Any pad you buy for lower dust is not going to stop better and should never be used on track.

Try the Powerstop Track Day pads!
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #33
slimjim2525

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I do have the 6 pistons. I am looking to make a caliper spacer so I can run the cheaper CTS-V one piece rotors on non-competition days and save my 2 piece rotors for when it counts.

With more details it makes more sense . Double driving and plenty of heat soak in between runs with no cooling airflow.

Another person just labeling the Powerstops as shit without using the proper pads. Any pad you buy for lower dust is not going to stop better and should never be used on track.

Try the Powerstop Track Day pads!
Be clear what you're talking about bro. These were street pads, and the oh shit moment was on the street. So be clear what you're talking about before talking crap.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #34
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
I have been clear. You are the one not being clear and vaguely calling Powerstop pads crap.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:33 AM   #35
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
z26 powerstop pads would suck on track auto x they work ok

i used the track day pads on my old 4 piston setup with ss lines and motul 660 fluid and they worked fine just ALOT of dust lol