Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 04-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
Carpro Essence and Reload Advice/question/guidence? "now with PICS"

This maybe a question for Glene or others who have used it. I purchased the Carpro Essence and the reload advised by Glen a while ago. (just finding a time to actually put it on and the nice weather to arrive.

This said, a few questions. I have searched on Autogeek and carpro forums about it but never really specifies...
1) assuming that I have to completely strip all wax of. Some say use Dawn dish soap, others say use a specific car wash.
2) am I able to put a polish on the car prior to doing this?
3) Have heard different stories as to the apply method. and the latest is NOT to use the eraser, but the applying process, Carpro did a video at what appeared to be at an event that you really can't hear him as to how the instructions work. May I have a best case as to how to apply? I do have a porter/cable multi speed buffer/polisher with jeweling and polishing pads.

any help would be great before I attack this.

-- also, My car is in pretty much pristine shape with (just noticed small section with swirl marks on the hood that maybe my kids may have set something on while the cover was on it) so I'll need to take care of that first. What is the expectancy time wise that I should apply this??
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.

Last edited by oneredry; 04-17-2018 at 12:18 PM.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
1. Give it a dawn wash, all you need
2. Essence is a polish
3.you apply reload by hand: the best vid ive found:
https://youtu.be/PsAheg8Wtdk

Expectancy. Time wise? I just did a Honda Civic in 90 minutes. The Camaro maybe two hours…

You can read too much here, or esp, the detailing sites.....Once you find a video that makes sense to you and is straightforward, stop reading… More people have gotten screwed up because they've got a good procedure down and then try to enhance it because somebody else comes along with some highfalutin way to put it on that's really not any better, just confusing.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
oneredry
HYPER SS

ok Thanks for that. video was helpful when it comes to the reload.
the Essence, since its similar to that of a polish, I would apply just like a polish, correct using small on the pad sections. when done, wipe of access.
..and would I be allowed to apply a liquid wax after all said and done? From what I gather the re-load is more of a after you wash your car effect.
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
Glen e

Reload is a full-blown protection product. You can stop right there..... no need for a liquid wax… Stop thinking!

Essence is a polish, not "similar to a polish"… It is a very mild abrasive prep for either reload or cquartz, or both
Old 04-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
This maybe a question for Glene or others who have used it. I purchased the Carpro Essence and the reload advised by Glen a while ago. (just finding a time to actually put it on and the nice weather to arrive.

This said, a few questions. I have searched on Autogeek and carpro forums about it but never really specifies...
1) assuming that I have to completely strip all wax of. Some say use Dawn dish soap, others say use a specific car wash.
2) am I able to put a polish on the car prior to doing this?
3) Have heard different stories as to the apply method. and the latest is NOT to use the eraser, but the applying process, Carpro did a video at what appeared to be at an event that you really can't hear him as to how the instructions work. May I have a best case as to how to apply? I do have a porter/cable multi speed buffer/polisher with jeweling and polishing pads.

any help would be great before I attack this.

-- also, My car is in pretty much pristine shape with (just noticed small section with swirl marks on the hood that maybe my kids may have set something on while the cover was on it) so I'll need to take care of that first. What is the expectancy time wise that I should apply this??

Eraser should most definitely be used BEFORE applying Essence. You don't want any oils on the surface that would prevent Essence from bonding. Now AFTER Essence is applied eraser is not needed, use whatever LSP you want. Carpro Reload is generally used on top.

As far as prepping the car, use dawn or an APC, don't allow it to dry on the surface. Use Clay or a Clay Alternative to remove bonded contaminates, then wipe it down with Eraser or IPA 15%.

When you use Essence, just do 1 slow pass with it. In this video a Rupes 21 is used. If you are using a standard DA, you'll need to move the machine a little slower.

I'd recommend the Megs DMF finishing pads which are used in this video.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I am a newbie like yourself and just did this recently. I washed my car then clayed then polished with essence and topped with reload. I didnt even bother to wash with dawn just normal car soap. Lol.

I am learning polishing is an art. Takes some trial and you might have to do the same spot a few times to get it right.

The carpro stuff also doesnt ruin black plastic trim by turning it white. It wipes right off.

In no way I am an expert but I was just like you. As Glen told me dont over think it and you will be fine.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
oneredry
HYPER SS

got it. Thanks everyone.
Delivered 03/23/16
Old 04-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #8
IH8WNTR

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Silver Ice Metallic
I see there is Essence, Essence plus, and Essence xtreme. They are all about the same price. Why should we pick one over the others?
IH8WNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #9
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8WNTR View Post
I see there is Essence, Essence plus, and Essence xtreme. They are all about the same price. Why should we pick one over the others?
Essence and Essence xtreme are the same thing. Essence has abrasives in it and is meant to polish the clear coat to remove minor swirls and prepare the surface for reload or a coating.

Essence Plus doesn't have any abrasives in it and is meant to be used on top of a coating to repair it and remove minor swirls in the coating but building up the coating and adding another layer of protection.

So you'd want Essence to start out with.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
I'm very new to the latest and greatest polishing products. Before learning from this site, the best I knew was Dupont No. 7 in the cardboard can and Nu Finish. I've quickly become a believer in Essence, Reload, and Ech20. My question now is what to use when. I started with Glen's technique of Dawn, Essence, the Reload. And I'm doing quick rinseless washes with dilute Ech20. But I'm wondering how these products layer upon one another and when one knows how far back in the sequence is necessary. I'm lucky enough to be able to use my car ('17 SS vert) only on dry roads and in nice weather. In the summer, I drive it once, maybe twice a week. It's always garaged otherwise. So when do I know I should do more than an Echo rinseless? And if I need to do more, is it really necessary to strip down with Dawn each time. Is Reload always best after a new application of Essence, or can it be used alone. And again if so, what's the best indication to know which of the 3 to use when? Thanks!
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #11
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
I'm very new to the latest and greatest polishing products. Before learning from this site, the best I knew was Dupont No. 7 in the cardboard can and Nu Finish. I've quickly become a believer in Essence, Reload, and Ech20. My question now is what to use when. I started with Glen's technique of Dawn, Essence, the Reload. And I'm doing quick rinseless washes with dilute Ech20. But I'm wondering how these products layer upon one another and when one knows how far back in the sequence is necessary. I'm lucky enough to be able to use my car ('17 SS vert) only on dry roads and in nice weather. In the summer, I drive it once, maybe twice a week. It's always garaged otherwise. So when do I know I should do more than an Echo rinseless? And if I need to do more, is it really necessary to strip down with Dawn each time. Is Reload always best after a new application of Essence, or can it be used alone. And again if so, what's the best indication to know which of the 3 to use when? Thanks!
Don't overthink it, how does your car look? If it looks good, keep doing what you're doing…

None these products are really additive, in the sense that you could put on too many layers, so just what you do what you think makes commonsense. I personally echo2 wash about once a week, and Lay on more reload every three months or so, once a year I'll pull out the polisher and do the whole process: the dawn/essence/reload thing......

I don't do the whole "reload as a drying agent"....I just use ech20 ....Too much hassle for me to do a drying thing.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #12
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
The EcH20/reload detailer mix used as a drying agent does work real well, I do it every few washes, gives it an extra "pop" of gloss and makes the paint slicker/more gloss. Just a few sprays before drying each panel works well.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
No do not use Dawn every time. It will strip off all that hydrophobic goodness.

Use a good pH neutral car shampoo.

Below pic was taken this weekend whe rinsing, after a 2 bucket wash using Adams car shampoo, and before blow dry.

My car has Suntek Ultra, Gtechniq Crystal serum black, Gtechniq EXO, and I use 5:1 distilled:Reload as a quick detail.
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #14
oneredry
HYPER SS

I hate to admit it, but glen was right. don't' put a lot of thought into it. Granted this was the first time I've used this product and made a believer out of me. due to the crappy weather we've had, I did this all indoors but for the lighting aspect it doesn't' do justice on the results. Here is a few shots and product I used.

Delivered 03/23/16