Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
Jaystroh

Drives: Camaro RS 2LT
Repaired/repainted front bumper. Cure time??

Hi everybody. So I got my car back after two weeks. Turned out pretty good. Dealer fixed the rocker they damaged on the lift and got the old hardware out of the trunk lid, and also fixed the front bumper rock chips and scratches and repainted it. Only noticed two small bubbles in the New paint at the very bottom of the bumper so I’m not gonna complain about that. My main question is what is the cure time and what should I not be doing until that time? (Washing, waxing, road trips and bugs etc..) don’t wanna hurt my new paint job.
Jaystroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Everything you want to know will have to come from them as it all depends upon what products they used and how it was applied and cured.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #3
Jaystroh

Yea I asked the service person and they said I was good and didn’t have to worry/do anything special. That being said the reason I posted on here is because I installed my new splitter the same day I picked the car up and I looked over the bumper really close upon pickup. Then while I was installing the splitter there was a small spot where it looked like I rubbed the paint off with my knuckle maybe while aligning the splitter. Pretty sure it wasn’t there before. Which led me to believe the paint might still be soft. Just trying to get a painters take on basic care after a fresh repaint is all.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:35 PM   #4
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
I was told 30 days for auto paint to fully cure by the last body shop I used. No washed for 30 days, no wax for 3 months. That was before the new silicone based products so do not know if the 3 months before wax applies anymore
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
If you were able to rub the paint off with just brushing against it with your knuckle, they should have cured it longer. I personally wouldn't dive right in with washing and waxing it or anything just yet. I usually wait a few weeks just to be safe. But I've also never had the paint so soft it rubbed off with a knuckle, so, you might want to wait a good bit. This is just what I would do. Again, in my opinion they should have cured it longer and gave you proper instructions on care take based on whatever products and methods they used.
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #6
Jaystroh

Thanks and yes I agree. Not much take away info. I may be wrong about the mark or scuff I thought I caused but the paint looked perfect when I first looked it over. Maybe I just missed that spot upon inspection. I’m not to worried about waxing right away but I will def want to wash the car before to long. Black car = dirty looking all the time lol! I’ll probably just give it a couple more weeks before I do a thorough wash just to be sFe. Luckily it’s super hot out right now so that should speed up the curing a bit! Hopefully.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:34 PM   #7
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
last time i had one painted it was wait two weeks before an actual wash with car soap and a month to wax.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #8
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I have always waited a month to wax. Wash anytime imo
Old 06-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Minimum 30 days, but As said above, you shouldn’t be asking here, you should be asking the painter. You don’t know whether he just applied it and air cured it, if he baked it on, if he used a lot of Hardner etc. it could be 30 days, it could be 90 days. But whatever, it’s not now.

A spoiler that I had painted and baked about two years ago, could be polished and waxed immediately, and I did so, and it was perfect.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:00 PM   #10
Jaystroh

Yea I’ll try to get an answer from the painter on Monday. That way I know for sure.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #11
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
Whether you wash really depends on your methods, and how dirty the paint gets. You have to figure the paint will be much softer than normal, so contact that would be ok on normal paint runs the risk of scratching.

If you have to wash, I would wait a couple of weeks, letting it bake in the summer sun as much as possible, then give it a hand wash using two-bucket method with a good pre-rinse technique with a foam gun or foam cannon.

Test your technique on a small area to see whether you're causing any marring. If so, stop. I don't see how any ph-neutral shampoo, by itself, would hurt the paint; your big risk with washing is causing a lot of marring that you'll want to repair later.

I would wait at least 30 days before any type of wax/sealant.
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Jay, I would wait at least 2 weeks before washing it and waxing probably a month just to be sure it cures. And as everyone has said, go back to the body shop and ask the painter how long you should wait until you put wax on the new paint.��
Old 06-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #13
Jaystroh

Thanks for all the info. I’m gonna hold off on any washing for about a month but will reconfirm with the dealer on Monday. Just to be safe.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #14
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
The paint should not be coming off with your knuckle. Did they repaint it with water color or something? That's crazy!

Also, two small bubbles in the paint is not good. They will eventually pop and the paint may start peeling from there. I'd bring it back and tell them the problems you're having.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote