Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 05-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #15
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
I got a ported throttle body on my 2012 SS and my throttle response was night and day compared to stock...
Agree with this. The big reason is because the throttle opens too slowly. Porting it would be the way to go if throttle response is all you want. You will keep your warranty and maybe gain a small bit of hp.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:07 PM   #16
Mr. Grumpy
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
My 17 SS does not have a lag, at least when it's on Sport mode. If I switch it to Track, that's when I notice a lag. I also have the 6 speed manual.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #17
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
I’m trying to figure out, are ya’ll talking about, lag or modulation? Without being able to alter how quickly the system uses the pixies, there is no way to change system lag. A tune cannot change this.

Everything else is modulation.

You can change the way the car feels by reducing pedal modulation via any of the various add on boxes. This is what most people mean when they say they want to reduce the lag.
Mustang Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #18
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
I’m trying to figure out, are ya’ll talking about, lag or modulation? Without being able to alter how quickly the system uses the pixies, there is no way to change system lag. A tune cannot change this.

Everything else is modulation.

You can change the way the car feels by reducing pedal modulation via any of the various add on boxes. This is what most people mean when they say they want to reduce the lag.
same difference. Lag in throttle response is lag, weather its called "modulation" or not. I know its purpose and all, but its still annoying. I like my throttle response to work instantly in correlation to the pedal's depression, like the good ol' cable throttles.
Friggin fun-killing gov. regulations...
Old 05-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #19
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
same difference. Lag in throttle response is lag, weather its called "modulation" or not. I know its purpose and all, but its still annoying. I like my throttle response to work instantly in correlation to the pedal's depression, like the good ol' cable throttles.
Not the same difference. Lag is induced by system components. For a cable driven system, this could be the small amount of slack that is in the cable. For an electronic controlled system, this is mostly the time it takes the electrons to move from point A to B.

Modulation is the control of the throttle body itself. If you want an on/off switch, you need to control modulation...which can be done by any various throttle intercepting devices. This will make the car "feel" faster without actually making it faster.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #20
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grumpy View Post
My 17 SS does not have a lag, at least when it's on Sport mode. If I switch it to Track, that's when I notice a lag. I also have the 6 speed manual.
Mine is manual, but don't notice lag in any mode.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #21
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Yes you can tune, it is managed in the "Driver Demand" tables in HP Tuners. As said though it isn't a simple table to mess with, it is a torque based table that references RPM and torque values on a "X" and "Y" table.

Be careful though, take it too far as we call "raping the driver demand tables" and the car wont drive for crap.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #22
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Quote:
Not the same difference. Lag is induced by system components. For a cable driven system, this could be the small amount of slack that is in the cable. For an electronic controlled system, this is mostly the time it takes the electrons to move from point A to B.

Modulation is the control of the throttle body itself. If you want an on/off switch, you need to control modulation...which can be done by any various throttle intercepting devices. This will make the car "feel" faster without actually making it faster.
My point is that lag is lag. And I don't care for it. The lag that I'm referring to is the lag that is prevalent when going from a stop to a go. The lag isn't there when you're already rolling, or at least not noticeable at all by me, I love how it responds immediately when you are already moving, but it drives me nuts when going from a stop and the RPMs take a split second to rise after your foot has pressed the pedal. Granted, one can adjust to it, but when you switch between multiple manual vehicles and the only one with lag is the Camaro, you could see how it could get annoying.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #23
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
My point is that lag is lag. And I don't care for it. The lag that I'm referring to is the lag that is prevalent when going from a stop to a go. The lag isn't there when you're already rolling, or at least not noticeable at all by me, I love how it responds immediately when you are already moving, but it drives me nuts when going from a stop and the RPMs take a split second to rise after your foot has pressed the pedal. Granted, one can adjust to it, but when you switch between multiple manual vehicles and the only one with lag is the Camaro, you could see how it could get annoying.
And again, that isn’t lag…that is intentional throttle mapping done to aide everyday drive-ability (modulation). What you want is something that intercepts the stock signal and outputs another, effectively reducing modulation…especially at tip-in. A tune can obviously change this, but isn’t this exactly what the Vitesse does? We have something similar in the mustang world to help those who prefer an on/off switch.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #24
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Quote:
And again, that isn’t lag…that is intentional throttle mapping done to aide everyday drive-ability (modulation). What you want is something that intercepts the stock signal and outputs another, effectively reducing modulation…especially at tip-in. A tune can obviously change this, but isn’t this exactly what the Vitesse does? We have something similar in the mustang world to help those who prefer an on/off switch.
I know about the throttle mapping, like I had said before, I know it purpose, and I don't like it. It is lag. its basically intentional delay... aka lag. Its an annoying nanny and epa enforced piece of shit feature.

and No.
The Vitesse just shortens the pedal travel required. I tried one, and it was stupid. I don't want to lose the pedal's range just for a small difference that doesn't even eliminate the issue.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #25
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
why did they switch from cable throttles to drive by wire?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #26
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
why did they switch from cable throttles to drive by wire?
So they can control your car remotely....

Jk.

I don't remember the actual details, but it had to do with safety and fuel economy. I'm sure some googling will yield better answers.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #27
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
What lag, none in my car.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #28
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
I know about the throttle mapping, like I had said before, I know it purpose, and I don't like it. It is lag. its basically intentional delay... aka lag. Its an annoying nanny and epa enforced piece of shit feature.

and No.
The Vitesse just shortens the pedal travel required. I tried one, and it was stupid. I don't want to lose the pedal's range just for a small difference that doesn't even eliminate the issue.
The reason I am arguing the definition of lag is because fixing lag and changing throttle modulation are two entirely separate things. Lag isn't intentional delay. What you are experiencing is the intentional slow throttle modulation GM has programmed in for the initial pedal tip in. The throttle just moves more slowly during the initial push of the pedal than it does for the latter push. It's still moving...which means you have the ability to alter it.

In the Ford world, people use a pedal commander and similar devices that allow you to program the altered throttle curve. You are looking for a device than can take an input and change the output using a variable curve. It sounds like the Vitesse uses a linear map, which would severely decrease modulation.

Have you looked into the pedal commander? It's a bit pricey, but I'm fairly certain it allows you to tweak the entire curve.

https://www.pedalcommander.com/produ...se-controller/