Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
Pfizer

Drives: 2016 Lexus RX 350 F Sport
Planning to buy a 2017 1SS need objective advice please.

Hello guys, i have been reading all your impressions and comments about 2016/2017 Camaro and i really like the car and style but I'm very doubtful regarding reliability because I'm planning to have it for at least 5 years (buying the car financing 60 months), i have a 2016 Lexus RX 350 F sport for weekend use but my wife took control of it and she says this is her car anyway to make it shorter i was cross shopping and saw a couple of 15 RCF's Certified preowned with less than 10K miles in the low 50'; made my numbers and i don't really want to spend too much money for a car only to use it occasionally, i really would like to go with the Lexus RCF but my budget is in the mid 30' so my options are Mustang GT or Camaro (don't like Challenger), my only doubt is reliability and dealer experience (I'm happy with Lexus dealer experience even their car are very reliable and i use their dealers for maintenance only), my questions are how reliable are camaros? because 1SS has less options than 2SS (cheaper) do you think 1SS is less prone to break?, any suggestion before i pull the trigger?, thanks in advance dudes.
Pfizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
mo jazzn

Drives: Camaro SS 50th
Good evening Pfizer just pulled the trigger myself after lot trolling and comparing 1ss/2ss/50th ss and 50th 2Lt. I was told by a luxury car mechanic that giving the choice he would choose american (chevy) made for road travel. That Lexus is by far the best luxury car sold in the US. You will have to drive them and decide. I really wanted the 50th ss or 50th 2lt, I drove the v8 first and that set the mode.

I would venture to say you have more Chevrolet dealers near you than lexus. The car will have a 3 year warranty. I have purchased Chevy trucks for the last 24 years. I like Chevy and their service. That has been a total of 11 vehicles business and personal. The Camaro is the first car I purchased since 1990. I am in heaven. Had to purchase all season tires, which I anticipated (your in NY you'll need them). Get the best deal you can, don't be in a rush. Chevy makes good products. Test drive, test drive and test drive.
mo jazzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
SS17

Drives: 2017 hyper blue ss
Not sure if it helps, but I'm looking to get rid of my 2017 Camaro SS..PM me if interested
SS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 1LT
Planning to buy a 2017 1SS need objective advice please.

I mean I wish I could tell you how reliable these cars will be, but all things considered these are mass-produced vehicles and there will be flaws, just like any other brand. I, like you, went with long-term financing so that should tell you I believe in the longevity of this car.

I have had two recalls, one significant issue (HVAC module stopped working), and three other, minor issues that have been fixed by my dealership under warranty. Compared to my last two cars (2013 Chevy Equinox, 2008 Kia Rio) that, combined, had two non-standard trips to the service center in 7+ years of ownership, it's not great, but I got a 2016 so it was the first year of a new car essentially.

But, every time I get in I have a smile on my face and love going for a drive, so minor, corrected issues aside, that's what really matters, no?

Also, I don't think the 1SS will be less prone to break because it's not as equipped. I mean sure, there are less features, but I have a pretty base 1LT and have had more warranty fixes than most folks here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #5
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Other than the "groan" I have no warranty fixes on my 1ss with 6k miles on it (daily Driven).
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
For what its worth I have had six months and 6k miles of trouble free fun with mine so far.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #7
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
Hello,

You want to buy a car to use it occasionally? You mean like on the weekends and for fun?

If that's the case why are you so concerned about reliability?

And btw Camaro reliability is nowhere close to a similar year or even older Lexus. Most people would decide between Camaro and a Mustang or a Lexus and a Accura, but Camaro and Lexus?

Anyways, if "occasional' means 8K miles a year for about 3 years of those 5 years you are fully covered and with that type of miles the next two years you should be fine.
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:36 PM   #8
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
I have owned several (see signature) Camaro's and had only good reliability on all of them
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:01 AM   #9
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
My 16 2SS has been reliable- I've got 11k miles and 70 autocross runs on it. 2 minor issues- differential groan which was fixed with a fluid change, and a stuck passenger seat which was fixed by a heavy set guy and high cornering gs. I went to the dealer only for my 2 free oil changes.

That said, I would imagine a lexus would probably be more reliable, and with a higher resale value down the line. I have a much higher budget, but would still stick with the Camaro. It still gets me excited every time I drive it.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:18 AM   #10
Pfizer

Drives: 2016 Lexus RX 350 F Sport
Thanks for all the replies, I'm not in a rush because i will use it only for weekends and winter is right here already, i always wanted a sport car and my personal opinion is not matter the brand one buy the more expensive the sport car one buy the more money will be loose; i crossed chopped between Camaro and lexus because at the end of the day asides of the luxury stuff both have more similarities than differences i.e. naturally aspirated V8's, both are coupes, great styles and performance. I will see what kind of deals i could reach maybe i have to wait for the first storm to go to the dealer to get some bargain lol, only thing it looks like in NY dealers around don't list their cars with good discount, i will try to email them and find out.
Pfizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:27 AM   #11
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
You should drive both IMO.. The RC-F has the flat out best interior I've seen sub $60k but the grille is too much for me and the handling is supposed to be a lot worse than the Camaro. If service is a concern you better stick with Infiniti/Lexus I never had any problems with them although they are overpriced. I would not take a Camaro to the dealer for service.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #12
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
I have not owned a Lexus, but have owned several BMWs including M5, Porsche C4S and several other high dollar vehicles. I have a new 1SS 1LE on order that will not be a daily driver, but rather a car that I can thoroughly enjoy for the driving experience. If you what luxury prestige and will worry excessively about reliability, buy a Lexus. That said, IMHO, I doubt the Camaro is much less reliable than any car on the road, although the service experience might not be as cushy as what some Lexus dealers provide.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #13
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Ours has been ultra reliable for nearly 12K miles. And for 11K miles, we have had a custom tune.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #14
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
They are both coupes and they are both V8 sport cars but that's about it. If the payments dont bother you the Lexus is clearly superior. No matter what model Camaro you buy, in 3 years it will worth same or less than a Toyota Camry and this is while a 2015 RC-F is still more expensive than a brand new 2SS.

I say these because your emphasis was on reliability. I have been wanting to buy a GS350 to replace my Camry. To me Lexus is the best car in the market, quality and performance has it both. But at this time I want something more exciting. Not that RC-F is not, but it depends what excites you. I have always bought on looks. I bought my Harley 48 because it looked better but Yamaha Bolt is way more reliable.

To me RC-F is the image of the college-Rich kids or new graduate doctors. A Camaro is the American muscle car for all walks of life, from the boy-racer to the geezers who sit at high 6 figure classic car auctions to Kids who change oil at Jiffy Lube. So here is Camaro, it's cheaper, less reliable and depreciate faster than a scared Kenyan can run but the looks and that unique gurgle off the back makes it worth my while, no matter how reliable it is not.
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote