BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-26-2016, 07:50 AM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Does this only work at WOT, or at a certain throttle position and further?
In the 12 ZL1 it was only functional above 5500 rpms, but the LSA engine's fuel cut off was 6200rpms...
Old 09-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #30
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
In the 12 ZL1 it was only functional above 5500 rpms, but the LSA engine's fuel cut off was 6200rpms...
Got ya, I am glad to hear the manual SS's have this too...will be nice at the drag strip.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:11 PM   #31
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Not sure if the SS has no lift shifting, but I have gotten away with it a few times in the 1/4. I could even hear 4th gear bark slightly. Some say it's there. Not sure. MY Zl1 definitely had it and it is nice to have.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #32
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Originally Posted by Iron Oak
I'm not a huge fan of no lift shift, it just seems like an accident waiting to happen.
Quote:
How do you figure? I've used it on other cars, on track it's great.
After you've spent decades learning how to make smooth gear engagements and being kind to the mechanical bits in all of your driving (outside of drag racing), lift-throttle upshifts are what you do. The threat of shocking the tires into spinning (and doing a high-speed version of a Mustang leaving the local C&C meet) just feels way too real to ignore.

Knowing intellectually that you can get away with making no-lift upshifts with little risk of breaking anything . . . and being entirely relaxed about doing so are entirely different concepts for almost everybody who isn't a dyed-in-the-wool drag racer who's still running a MT car. I seriously doubt I could make myself do a no-lift upshift under any conditions, even though I'm not the least bit afraid of kicking the revs up to or slightly past the printed redline on a rev-matched downshift.

Norm
Old 10-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #33
Master357

Drives: 2017 1LE
When I test drove a 2SS I tried to do a no lift shift.
First problem was I could not get myself to hold the accelerator while pushing the clutch in. Apparently I've spent entirely too many years doing the right way to do it the wrong way. When I did finally get myself to do it, the car bounced off the redline. Now I was on the highway in 3rd shifting to fourth so I don't know if I did it wrong or what. Car was in track mode and stabilitrack was in competitive mode.
Master357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #34
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Originally Posted by Iron Oak
I'm not a huge fan of no lift shift, it just seems like an accident waiting to happen.

After you've spent decades learning how to make smooth gear engagements and being kind to the mechanical bits in all of your driving (outside of drag racing), lift-throttle upshifts are what you do. The threat of shocking the tires into spinning (and doing a high-speed version of a Mustang leaving the local C&C meet) just feels way too real to ignore.

Knowing intellectually that you can get away with making no-lift upshifts with little risk of breaking anything . . . and being entirely relaxed about doing so are entirely different concepts for almost everybody who isn't a dyed-in-the-wool drag racer who's still running a MT car. I seriously doubt I could make myself do a no-lift upshift under any conditions, even though I'm not the least bit afraid of kicking the revs up to or slightly past the printed redline on a rev-matched downshift.

Norm

It takes some getting used to, but in most cases I like it. It's fantastic for drag racing and comes in handy on long straits too. I don't use it on tight tracks like autocross though.

It just seems to me many don't fully understand how it works based on many comments I've read.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #35
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
It takes some getting used to, but in most cases I like it. It's fantastic for drag racing and comes in handy on long straits too. I don't use it on tight tracks like autocross though.
Key thought boldfaced, and with that in mind I'll say that I have just barely enough experience with shifting under drag racing conditions to claim that I have any at all. I'm betting it comes a lot easier to those who have a lot more drag racing with MT cars on their driving resume.

Norm
Old 10-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #36
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master357 View Post
When I test drove a 2SS I tried to do a no lift shift.
First problem was I could not get myself to hold the accelerator while pushing the clutch in. Apparently I've spent entirely too many years doing the right way to do it the wrong way. When I did finally get myself to do it, the car bounced off the redline. Now I was on the highway in 3rd shifting to fourth so I don't know if I did it wrong or what. Car was in track mode and stabilitrack was in competitive mode.
For some reason I have trouble communicating thru this web site, I never see any returned comments? email me direct @ don67@att.net or try and respond thru this web site . I will tell all about no lift shift. I have experience with it and have had comments from Tadge the head engineer for the corvette. I have 2015 C7 M7.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #37
lt4camaro

No Lift shift

The no lift shift feature is always activated as long as your gas pedal is on the floor. If you lift off the gas the system doesn't work. The car does not have to be in any particular mode. The system recognizes your commitment to power shift by clutch pedal and shift lever movement simultaneously and foot pinned to the floor. There is a timeing interruption that keeps the rpm at the rpm you initiated the shift . For instance if you initiated a power shift at 6400 rpm, the NLS technology hold's the rpm at 6400 for that split second it takes to make the powershift. You do not get a raise in the RPM like you would in a older car. If you do not initiate a shift soon enough before the rev limiter (fuel shut off) of 6600 rpm you would naturally hit the rev limiter.
Yes,its very hard to do a full throttle no lift shift at or near redline. I have made one pass down the 1/4 mile and did all power shifts successfully last year. This year tried the same thing and because you or I have to be able to do this like a reaction and not think about it, I actually ended up speed shifting (lifting) as I have been doing it that way so long and its a reaction. I have to train my mind next time I go to power shift and use the NLS technology. Cannot really practice this on the street, best way is to do drills in the car just after you park it hot with the engine off. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 over and over , keep the gas to the floor, blip clutch /shift , blip clutch/shift, blip clutch /shift while actually just stabbing the clutch and actually making the shifts. This system was developed for the supercharged ZL1, ZR1, CTS-V to maintain boost when shifting. Hope this helps guys..Oh and BTW, rev match has nothing to do with NLS.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #38
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Like I said I wish someone would confirm and show proof 100% that the SS does have no lift shift. I can't find it in the manual or I am just blind as a bat. I hope it does, but I don't want to just get my new car out there before it's 2nd oil change and try it ;p
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #39
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Oh and BTW, rev match has nothing to do with NLS.
In terms of the driver being comfortable that NLS will always hold the rpm rather than allow the revs to run up to fuel cut, I don't see a whole lot of difference from a driver preferring to not hit fuel cut on his driver-executed rev match. In both situations the idea is to allow the engine to run at revs that are fairly high without becoming too high.

For as much as the electronics actually can accomplish, they still can't instantly overwrite years of different driver experience simply by their presence.

Norm
Old 10-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #40
lt4camaro

Norm, rev match is primarily for down shifting and only works if you keep your foot off the gas so you do not interrupt the throttle blip.
NLS is for full throttle upshifts (powershifts) only with gas to the floor
Old 10-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #41
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanky View Post
Like I said I wish someone would confirm and show proof 100% that the SS does have no lift shift. I can't find it in the manual or I am just blind as a bat. I hope it does, but I don't want to just get my new car out there before it's 2nd oil change and try it ;p
I'm with you, but with under 300 miles I'm not ready to try
MR 45TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:14 PM   #42
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
In terms of the driver being comfortable that NLS will always hold the rpm rather than allow the revs to run up to fuel cut, I don't see a whole lot of difference from a driver preferring to not hit fuel cut on his driver-executed rev match. In both situations the idea is to allow the engine to run at revs that are fairly high without becoming too high.

For as much as the electronics actually can accomplish, they still can't instantly overwrite years of different driver experience simply by their presence.

Norm
I see a big difference between manual (i.e. driver initiated) power-shifting and rev-matching on a downshift as far as risk is concerned. If you miss a power-shift in a modern car, the various methods the ECM uses to control rev limit are going to prevent the engine speed from going above a safe level. It probably won't hurt a thing. If you misjudge a downshift (i.e. going too fast for selected gear), you are going to force the engine into a mechanical over-rev. No rev limiter is going to save you. Valve float and related damage are possible.

I've had a manual trans car (or two) in my garage/driveway for as long as I've been driving. I really don't think I'll have a problem using NLS in a new car. It just takes a little faith in technology. I power-shifted my '68 Camaro the last time I had it out at the strip. I didn't find it too tough mentally. It was definitely harder on my drivetrain, though. The beauty of a modern NLS system is that it can make the car faster while being relatively kind to the drivetrain.

My 2.5 cents...
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote