Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
greg0ry

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Odd noise I cannot pinpoint

Hi guys, i THINK this noise started happening after I installed my Borla axle back. At the same time, I don't feel like it's the exhaust at all. From my observation and messing around, it is coming somewhere from the OEM diffuser. I lifted the car and was messing around under it and the noise kept happening in or around the rear diffuser.

It is a creaking/squeaking type noise that ONLY seems to happen when the car is really, really warmed up, after some spirited driving. It happens if I take off from a stop, go over a bump, anything really. The noise tends to disappear pretty quick if i drive the car normally for a few minutes, or if i just let the car chill for a few minutes (no more than 10 min). Right when the noise gets summoned, if I park the car and kick around the diffuser and exhaust, you can hear it.

Took it to the dealer twice, they claimed to fix it, both times.. but the noise continued happening right after I picked the car up...

Has anyone else experienced this issue and could give me some advice? It's kinda driving me crazy! Thanks.
greg0ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0ry View Post
It is a creaking/squeaking type noise...
Doesn't sound like you quite have the source localized yet.
I would maybe try some silicone spray in areas you think parts might be rubbing. That's kind of safe stuff to apply without getting too messy.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
I haven't experienced what you are saying. Have a few ideas of what it could be.
(1) If it's a npp exhaust. Maybe the valves are squeaking.
(2) The exhaust mounts, where it bolts to the bar under the bumper cover. Loose nuts and squeaking.
(3) Rubber on exhaust hangers need some silicone spray.
I can't imagine it would be your stock splitter. There isn't anything there to cause what you are describing. Are your muffler clamps all not touching anything? These are some things to look at. Could it be inside your new mufflers?

Last edited by Jb54; 03-10-2020 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Add
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Yes I just experienced something very similar. In 2017 in installed a MBRP CAT back exhaust on my GF's 2013 Silverado- 4.8 V8. 3" inlet to the muffler and dual 2.5 outlets straight out the back. Three weeks ago it developed what started as a low squeak, chirp noise. I simply assumed it was the serpentine belt. I changed it out- it was not that. Long story short the noise got worse- like a screeching noise- only when it was very hot and only at around 1500 RPM. I changed out the alternator, water pump, idler, tensioner and PS Pump. The parts were not that horribly expensive, I did all of the labor. After all that the noise was still there. I let the truck get very, very hot and put my ear everywhere, in the engine compartment, walked around it, layed under the truck, etc. To my amazement the noise was coming right from the MBRP muffler. it even squeaked when I moved it with the engine off. I contacted MBRP and they honored their lifetime warranty since the system was SST. I just had to E mail them the purchase receipt. They sent me a new muffler and clamps, i installed it, the noise permanently gone.

It could be the Borla exhaust- something defective inside it, the muffler or the exhaust system.

My suggestion is let the car get super hot where it makes the noise and get under it and listen to see exactly where it is coming from. Noises tend to echo a lot- like I (and two other people) thought it was coming from the engine bay on my GF's Silverado.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
I had the same kinda noise with my borla atak. It ended up being inside the left muffler looking at it from the back. They warranted that muffler.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote