Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
greg0ry

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Creaking sound towards the rear

Hi guys, my 2019 SS 1LE is making quite the creaking noises towards the rear. It is happening basically a bit after the car warms up and it will mainly happen going over dips, bumps, driveways but quite frankly it will do it at all times after the car is a bit warmed up. Just taking off on a flat surface even or just cruising around on a road.. I took it to the dealership, they gave me the runaround of course. They said they lubed up the exhaust valves and that fixed it. It did not... it started happening basically right after I got the car back. The advisor said there is a bulletin or whatever on it and it looks like on the service sheets the name is "Doc # 4340738".

I've heard this is kind of a common issue with most of our cars. Anyone figure this out? The sound is sort of unbearable and drives me crazy at this point. I do have an aftermarket Borla S-Type exhaust if that has anything to do with it.

I'm taking it in to another dealer today to most likely get another runaround and not get fixed.. Thanks, guys.
greg0ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
My ZL1 has a creaking noise in the rear right side when I come to a stoplight when stopped at idle. Doesn’t do it all the time just intermittently so far and don’t know if the exhaust is causing the noise.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
When you say creaking, my mind automatically goes to suspension, not exhaust.
rear cradle mounts?
control arm bushings?
sway bar?

Find a large friend and have them push down on the car while you listen to try and pinpoint it.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Thinking about it and my ZL1 has more of a vibration noise when stopped at idle. That’s why I’m thinking that the exhaust might be causing the noise.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
2017-Fifty-SS

Drives: 2017 SS Convertible 50th Aniv
I had a similar problem coming from the rear drivers side. The dealer had my car for 6 weeks as they assumed it was associated with a service bulletin in which (3) spot welds were missed during the assembly process. However, the sound was still there after the repair. Long story short it turned out to be in the rear driver window regulator and a broken clip. Both of the replacement parts had new GM part numbers so I assume the new parts were revisions to a know defect in both parts.
2017-Fifty-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
When you say creaking, my mind automatically goes to suspension, not exhaust.
rear cradle mounts?
control arm bushings?
sway bar?

Find a large friend and have them push down on the car while you listen to try and pinpoint it.
Not a bad idea, but....in some areas, the sheet metal is paper thin. Just leaning on it the wrong way can cause dimples.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote