Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #1
numbersnerd

Drives: NGM 2018 2SS Convertible
Shift to Park error among other things

OK, literally just received my new to me 2018 1SS convertible today. FIL has had it to his local dealer for inspection and other items and been driving it daily to work out any possible kinks while we were on family vacation. Worst problem was a leaking valve stem on one tire. So he brought it into town this afternoon on a 250 freeway cruise. Joy! Took each of the boys for a quick ride and all is good so far.

About 2 miles from home made a sweeping left turn between 30-35 and after I come out of the turn the tach, speedo, and dash cluster goes dead and car goes into limp mode. Then a Stabilitrak service message pops up on the DIC. I dismiss it because, what else am I gonna do for it at this point, and then everything comes back to life. Already on the final stretch home, so we're just going in. A mile later I make a stop at an intersection and after I go through it the dash goes dead again and back into limp mode. Nothing is happening after that and not knowing what the limits of this mode are, I pull into a parking lot and decide to shut it down since I know I'm not in the road. After that big turn it has been nothing but gentle curves in the road, nothing more than 20 degrees either way. So while I might get turning causing a short somewhere, there wasn't anything really similar at the instances when it went into safety mode. Kinda perplexed on what triggered it.

Well, that was the last time she ran. Persistent Stabilitrak service required messages and now Action Required:Shift to Park. No matter what I do, I cannot get it to resolve, so there's no starting it. Weird shut down sequence needed to shut it completely down and not stay in ACC mode, trunk won't open with the door button or remote. Oddities like it honks like the key is inside when shutting the door, etc. Luckily I was able to get the top back up, but when shutting the door it might take the window 30 sec's before it decides to fully roll up after the door is shut. The parking brake service light is always displayed when it's turned on. The check engine light stays on always as far as I can tell. Couldn't get to the battery to disconnect it because the manual trunk key extender is nowhere to be found, so no attempt to reset the computers.

Finally got roadside assistance to dispatch a flatbed to take it the 3 miles to my local dealer. So no major inconveniences, just lots of question marks.

Like:
Possible that the slowly-becoming-infamous shifter sensor problem is throwing up other error codes and manifesting in all sorts of symptoms? Hoping that a simple shifter assembly R&R will cure the majority of this, honestly.

Or am I in for a long series of diagnostics, repairs, and headaches?

Any Ideas/Tips/Suggestions/Sympathy?
numbersnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersnerd View Post
OK, literally just received my new to me 2018 1SS convertible today. FIL has had it to his local dealer for inspection and other items and been driving it daily to work out any possible kinks while we were on family vacation. Worst problem was a leaking valve stem on one tire. So he brought it into town this afternoon on a 250 freeway cruise. Joy! Took each of the boys for a quick ride and all is good so far.

About 2 miles from home made a sweeping left turn between 30-35 and after I come out of the turn the tach, speedo, and dash cluster goes dead and car goes into limp mode. Then a Stabilitrak service message pops up on the DIC. I dismiss it because, what else am I gonna do for it at this point, and then everything comes back to life. Already on the final stretch home, so we're just going in. A mile later I make a stop at an intersection and after I go through it the dash goes dead again and back into limp mode. Nothing is happening after that and not knowing what the limits of this mode are, I pull into a parking lot and decide to shut it down since I know I'm not in the road. After that big turn it has been nothing but gentle curves in the road, nothing more than 20 degrees either way. So while I might get turning causing a short somewhere, there wasn't anything really similar at the instances when it went into safety mode. Kinda perplexed on what triggered it.

Well, that was the last time she ran. Persistent Stabilitrak service required messages and now Action Required:Shift to Park. No matter what I do, I cannot get it to resolve, so there's no starting it. Weird shut down sequence needed to shut it completely down and not stay in ACC mode, trunk won't open with the door button or remote. Oddities like it honks like the key is inside when shutting the door, etc. Luckily I was able to get the top back up, but when shutting the door it might take the window 30 sec's before it decides to fully roll up after the door is shut. The parking brake service light is always displayed when it's turned on. The check engine light stays on always as far as I can tell. Couldn't get to the battery to disconnect it because the manual trunk key extender is nowhere to be found, so no attempt to reset the computers.

Finally got roadside assistance to dispatch a flatbed to take it the 3 miles to my local dealer. So no major inconveniences, just lots of question marks.

Like:
Possible that the slowly-becoming-infamous shifter sensor problem is throwing up other error codes and manifesting in all sorts of symptoms? Hoping that a simple shifter assembly R&R will cure the majority of this, honestly.

Or am I in for a long series of diagnostics, repairs, and headaches?

Any Ideas/Tips/Suggestions/Sympathy?
Did you ever get this resolved? Mine is doing the exact same thing and a new shifter did not fix it.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:42 PM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
These cars really do not like low voltage. The various computer modules get all kinds of wonky and lose their minds when they suffer low voltages.

OP's issue was likely an intermittent main 12v electrical open (loose battery connection, fuse, rat-chewed wire, loose connection, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
Did you ever get this resolved? Mine is doing the exact same thing and a new shifter did not fix it.
Low voltage/dead battery will cause this error (among lots of others like "service stabilitrack" and "service rear axle").

The car will be in park and you still get the "shift to park" error <-- TCU losing its mind.

Happened to me today after a dead battery. I connected the jumper cables to power the car, key to ON. The car also threw a CEL and a few codes including a TCM error (I presume related to the TCU not knowing that the car was in park). I let it charge up for several minutes off the running jumper car, and I cleared the codes, let it charge up several minutes more. 20-30 min total was required to get enough charge into the 3yr old OEM AGM to allow the car to start.

When I finally started her up the "shift to park" error went away. The CEL did came back on again and I cleared codes again. Was fine after that.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:51 PM   #4
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
These cars really do not like low voltage. The various computer modules get all kinds of wonky and lose their minds when they suffer low voltages.

OP's issue was likely an intermittent main 12v electrical open (loose battery connection, fuse, rat-chewed wire, loose connection, etc.).

Low voltage/dead battery will cause this error (among lots of others like "service stabilitrack" and "service rear axle").

The car will be in park and you still get the "shift to park" error <-- TCU losing its mind.

Happened to me today after a dead battery. I connected the jumper cables to power the car, key to ON. The car also threw a CEL and a few codes including a TCM error (I presume related to the TCU not knowing that the car was in park). I let it charge up for several minutes off the running jumper car, and I cleared the codes, let it charge up several minutes more. 20-30 min total was required to get enough charge into the 3yr old OEM AGM to allow the car to start.

When I finally started her up the "shift to park" error went away. The CEL did came back on again and I cleared codes again. Was fine after that.

I wish mine was that way, we've tried charging the battery to no avail. We actually replaced the TCM and when we tried to flash it it couldn't read it so we are thinking there is a broken wire or plug right after the power steering module since that is the last thing it can communicate with.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
Quote:
I wish mine was that way, we've tried charging the battery to no avail. We actually replaced the TCM and when we tried to flash it it couldn't read it so we are thinking there is a broken wire or plug right after the power steering module since that is the last thing it can communicate with.

I might be able to help you out on this. I ran in to the craziest issue while replacing my TCM recently, and I am curious if you issue is as straightforward as mine turned out to be. You said you can't communicate with the TCM, but it is important to know if you still have communication with the ECM. A quick check is to look at the gas gauge on your instrument cluster (the instrument cluster receives signals from the ECM, so this is a quick check to see if your communication is still good). With the new TCM installed, does your gas gauge read the correct level or does it show empty?
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam765 View Post
I might be able to help you out on this. I ran in to the craziest issue while replacing my TCM recently, and I am curious if you issue is as straightforward as mine turned out to be. You said you can't communicate with the TCM, but it is important to know if you still have communication with the ECM. A quick check is to look at the gas gauge on your instrument cluster (the instrument cluster receives signals from the ECM, so this is a quick check to see if your communication is still good). With the new TCM installed, does your gas gauge read the correct level or does it show empty?
I will have to have my mechanic look for me, it is at his shop. What ended up being your issue?
Old 11-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
Quote:
I will have to have my mechanic look for me, it is at his shop. What ended up being your issue?
There were two issues. I have an A10 and I know there are several TCMs available for this transmission. It is important to get a TCM with the same Serv# shown on the part as your original one, not just the GM part number (that was my first issue, getting the correct part). Second problem was I was unable to get the TCM to communicate with a scan tool after installing. It made no sense. After looking over wiring diagrams to compare the connector pinout with the module itself, and the wiring at the connector on my car, I realized there was a mismatch. I kid you not, it appeared the connector to the TCM had to be rotated 180. After doing this, I regained communication and was able to successfully have the module flashed.

So either GM made a change to the TCM, the connector was incorrectly wired, or someone else had worked on this car previously (I am the second owner). So this would be crazy if it solved your problem as well, but short of a wiring problem in between the TCM and the power steering control module, this sounds similar to my issue.
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam765 View Post
There were two issues. I have an A10 and I know there are several TCMs available for this transmission. It is important to get a TCM with the same Serv# shown on the part as your original one, not just the GM part number (that was my first issue, getting the correct part). Second problem was I was unable to get the TCM to communicate with a scan tool after installing. It made no sense. After looking over wiring diagrams to compare the connector pinout with the module itself, and the wiring at the connector on my car, I realized there was a mismatch. I kid you not, it appeared the connector to the TCM had to be rotated 180. After doing this, I regained communication and was able to successfully have the module flashed.

So either GM made a change to the TCM, the connector was incorrectly wired, or someone else had worked on this car previously (I am the second owner). So this would be crazy if it solved your problem as well, but short of a wiring problem in between the TCM and the power steering control module, this sounds similar to my issue.

Wow that is crazy sounding. When we ordered the TCM we gave the dealer the VIN to the car so I am assuming we have the correct one? I have the A8 so not sure if it is the same on mine as yours but I will definitely send this over to my mechanic, at this point any ideas are welcome.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:49 PM   #9
Kiko562

Drives: Camaro SS 17

What was your solution? Literally have the same exact problem and the dealer can’t figure it out.
Kiko562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:07 PM   #10
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko562 View Post
What was your solution? Literally have the same exact problem and the dealer can’t figure it out.
Mine was a loose ground on the back of the driver's side head.