Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
gaveup

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 M6
Am I crazy?

Hey everyone, just need a sanity check to make sure I am not wasting my time here.

I was sitting around last night watching TV and I saw that dodge is running a pretty nice deal on their hellcats, and it got me thinking. To start, not about a hellcat, but a ZL1.

Would it be crazy of me to trade in my 19 SS 1LE (purchased 11/18 and now has 1,400 miles on it) for a ZL1? Prices I have seen on car gurus is around 57k (19 ZL1 6spd) with the incentives that I qualify for. Now, I know I'm most likely going to get screwed on my trade, but for if for some magic reason we can make the numbers work, would you consider it to be worth it?

I really like my car, but I am starting to get used to the power and think I will probably fall into modifying it. While that could happen with a ZL1, it seems like 650hp might be enough to hold me over for a bit longer.
gaveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
just get the zl1
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:36 AM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yep I agree with JC!! I can guarantee you will like a ZL1!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:53 AM   #4
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
Hey everyone, just need a sanity check to make sure I am not wasting my time here.

I was sitting around last night watching TV and I saw that dodge is running a pretty nice deal on their hellcats, and it got me thinking. To start, not about a hellcat, but a ZL1.

Would it be crazy of me to trade in my 19 SS 1LE (purchased 11/18 and now has 1,400 miles on it) for a ZL1? Prices I have seen on car gurus is around 57k (19 ZL1 6spd) with the incentives that I qualify for. Now, I know I'm most likely going to get screwed on my trade, but for if for some magic reason we can make the numbers work, would you consider it to be worth it?

I really like my car, but I am starting to get used to the power and think I will probably fall into modifying it. While that could happen with a ZL1, it seems like 650hp might be enough to hold me over for a bit longer.

Yep...Crazy....The SS grill looks 10x better that the ZL1 grill.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:55 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
The SS grill looks 10x better that the ZL1 grill.
Yep...Crazy....Talk.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:49 AM   #6
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:

Yes. You're gonna take a bath on that depreciation. Absolutely not worth it.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #7
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Yes, you will take a bath and how much depends on how much you want a ZL1. On the other hand, you should recognize you have been bitten by the ZL1 bug and that will never go away. You will always be asking yourself, "what if".
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:05 AM   #8
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP your best deal will be selling your SS to someone like Carmax and then look around for a lightly used ZL1. Some are trading for under 50K.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:15 AM   #9
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Quote:

I was heavily shopping a 2SS 1LE, and one thing I have to say, other than the power to weight is nearly perfectly matched on that car, the SS 1LE looks near perfect out of the box! Very few esthetic mods needed on that car (painted fuel door, ZL1 style side skirts, etc...). Even the wheels, matte black wrap, factory duckbill, all match that car perfectly! My dilemma (first world problem, of course) is that I would end up tossing the warranty out of the window within 2-3 months, while I start hunting for power mods.
I took everyone's advice here on the forum and purchased a ZL1 instead... I've never bought a car where I focus on esthetics instead of performance. This will be my first car in which I go that route. To me, there's room for improvement aesthetically on the ZL1 (which to me is the exact opposite of the SS 1LE). Performance wise, the car is absolutely stellar! You can keep up with dedicated sports cars and even supercars! I highly recommend the ZL1...
What I don't recommend is putting yourself in the same predicament as last time. Simply don't buy new and you can avoid this exact situation in the near future when you might be ready for something different again. I would recommend trading your SS 1LE on a lightly pre-owned ZL1. Even with the aggressive incentives, you cant beat finding a lightly used ZL1 for $50-$55k.

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #10
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Do it
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #11
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Just throwing buckets of money down the drain
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #12
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

What made you buy the ‘19 1LE instead of the ZL1 in the first place?

If the issue was that ZL1 prices were way over $57k at the time and now at $57k it’s more attainable, keep in mind that the drop in retail prices will also drive a drop in resale / trade-in value for your car so very likely the price gap will still be there. Probably more of a gap, since even at 1,400 miles, your car is used.

If you do the math on both ends (sale / trade of your car —> purchase of ZL1) and are ok with the math, by all means, go for it. I’d be shocked, though, if you find that the gap between what you’d be out making the switch is less than the gap had you gone for the ZL1 first, even at a price higher than the $57k you’re seeing today.

Another option would be to wait until the 2020 models are introduced and see if Chevrolet does either the 0% interest or the 20% off sticker deal that they have done in the past when looking to clear inventory at model change. Then selling your car outright and taking advantage of the sale plus your discounts might not hurt so bad.

Oh, and to answer the original question....you’re probably crazy. Most of us here are just a little bit touched.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #13
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Mathematically speaking, if you can get enough money off the Z to match your depreciation on the ‘19 or even 3/4 of it, then getting the Z seems more attractive. The best way to do this is to buy a slightly used Z.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
The depreciation hit will be over 10,000$. Crazy
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote