Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Oil Meter in Cabin

This is going to sound so stupid. My dealer isn't giving me a solid answer and instead wants me to bring it in which is going to mean I give them money for an answer.

Anyway on to the question. I'm at 1650 miles on my 1SS 1LE and just had the diff fluid change done which was called for at 1500 miles. Prior to this I had my oil changed at 500 miles as recommended. On the way home I was scrolling through the info screen and noticed my oil life was at 11%. It's only been 1100 miles since my last change so I don't know if this is possible or not. My question to the dealer was is the in cabin oil life meter an active gauge or does it need to be reset on every oil change? They couldn't answer so now I leave this question with you gurus of the Camaro world.
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Yes, the oil life indicator needs to be reset following an oil change. it is quite easy. Scroll to the oil life display and hold down the SEL button until it resets to 100%.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Yes, the oil life indicator needs to be reset following an oil change. it is quite easy. Scroll to the oil life display and hold down the SEL button until it resets to 100%.
Thank you for confirming. I had never looked into it and the dealer didn't say anything so I assumed it was active and did not need to be reset. I thought to my self there's no way it burned 9 quarts of oil in 1k miles. I'll remember that on the next change. Do you know how many miles the LT1 goes through before it needs an oil change?
Old 07-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ive had it happen also went back to the dealer to make sure they actually changed it since they are 99% idiots that work there...my buddy actually used to ask for the old oil filter back to make sure they actually do it because he doesnt trust his dealer at all
Old 07-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
How long ago was the oil change at 500 miles? The oil life monitor also decreases just based on last reset. So even at 0 miles driven, one year later it will hit 0%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Thank you for confirming. I had never looked into it and the dealer didn't say anything so I assumed it was active and did not need to be reset. I thought to my self there's no way it burned 9 quarts of oil in 1k miles. I'll remember that on the next change. Do you know how many miles the LT1 goes through before it needs an oil change?
It’s not an oil level monitor. How often depends on usage, but at least once a year if you don’t drive it very often. Like I only put 2500 miles a year on my Camaro. It’s overkill, but I do it every 6 months.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
ive had it happen also went back to the dealer to make sure they actually changed it since they are 99% idiots that work there...my buddy actually used to ask for the old oil filter back to make sure they actually do it because he doesnt trust his dealer at all
I’m the same way, I NEED my oil filter back after an oil change. You really can’t trust anybody anymore. I’ve had my fair share of bad service but man let me tell you, I wouldn’t step back to that dealer unless I desperately need to get warranty work done. Just an example, I took my car for its 500 mile break in service completed along with a small recall for some early 2018 builds for a plastic hose for the ABS wires. Fast forward a week later, my dad noticed some oil from where my car was parked in the garage. We both went to my dealer and told the advisor that was helping me. The response was “I’m sorry that happened, but there’s nothing I can do about that”. I called the manager over and they took the car in right away. They took the car and gave it another oil change in front of my face. Free of charge. I have other horror stories with my dealer but, those are for another day.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
It’s not an oil level monitor. How often depends on usage, but at least once a year if you don’t drive it very often. Like I only put 2500 miles a year on my Camaro. It’s overkill, but I do it every 6 months.
Agreed. It is an oil life monitor. The engine calculates how much "life" there is in the current oil based on time and driving conditions. I get about 7,500 miles between oil changes based on the oil life monitor on mine.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I usually change it around 5000 when the indicator shows about 30% left.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #9
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
I change my oil every 6 weeks.. maybe 7 - so it isn't an issue
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2 View Post
I change my oil every 6 weeks.. maybe 7 - so it isn't an issue
Your throwing good oil and money down the drain. With modern Synthetic oil 7500 miles shows no breakdown of the oil at all. In fact most oils are now advertising 1 year oil changes, the oil made today is that good.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:31 PM   #11
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i got my 2 free oil changes at the dealer. I stood next to the car with the tech and talked to him about the car while he did it. they even let me pull it on the 4 post lift that i told them i wanted it lifted on. i do all my own work but free is free.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:38 PM   #12
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Your throwing good oil and money down the drain. With modern Synthetic oil 7500 miles shows no breakdown of the oil at all. In fact most oils are now advertising 1 year oil changes, the oil made today is that good.
i can vouch for that. Blackstone labs 7500 on amsoil Zrod on my cammed LS3 and it was like new. I use Signature in my LT1 and that has a 25,000 mile or 1 year change interval with filter at 15,000. I change it every year though. im only at 12,500 miles in 3 summers.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #13
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post

He's already got over 137K miles on it so the frequent oil changes seem about right.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:47 AM   #14
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Agreed. It is an oil life monitor. The engine calculates how much "life" there is in the current oil based on time and driving conditions. I get about 7,500 miles between oil changes based on the oil life monitor on mine.
Interesting so it's not an oil meter at all like a dip stick. The stick was odd to read too I've never seen one like it.