Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #85
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I disagree - especially with ARH. There are lots of OBX and cheap threads with issues and zero with ARH issues that were due to quality or fitment. Only complaint is price, but you pay for what you get. Simple as that.
I'd be willing to buy and test a pair of OBX or TSP and compare it to someone else with a pair of ARH to settle things. We can take pics of the install process and everything to show people how it comes out. I've bought plenty of cheap headers and so have many of my friends and we've all had positive results. And I am more than confident that even if I did have an issue that I'd either be able to have a replacement sent out or my money returned. That is IF I had an issue.

We can go back and forth all day. But when it comes down to it, a pair of TSP, OBX, Kooks, or ARH will all have good fitment and quality. They each will give the same HP with the only difference being due to variances between runs/cars/dynos/conditions. ARH and Kooks might have a slightly better quality. And ARH is known for putting more R&D into their products. They usually include extras like brackets and bolts and stuff to make the install process easier. But is it worth twice the money? Not to me. I do believe you get what you pay for sometimes. But other times you pay more for virtually the same thing.

If anyone wants to take me up on my offer then let me know. It'll give me an excuse to go ahead and mod this thing and void the warranty already!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #86
Fredtp

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black Mosaic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
We can go back and forth all day. But when it comes down to it, a pair of TSP, OBX, Kooks, or ARH will all have good fitment and quality. They each will give the same HP with the only difference being due to variances between runs/cars/dynos/conditions. ARH and Kooks might have a slightly better quality. And ARH is known for putting more R&D into their products. They usually include extras like brackets and bolts and stuff to make the install process easier. But is it worth twice the money? Not to me. I do believe you get what you pay for sometimes. But other times you pay more for virtually the same thing.

If anyone wants to take me up on my offer then let me know. It'll give me an excuse to go ahead and mod this thing and void the warranty already!!
Take a look at the weld qualities on the cheaper headers compared to ARH, especially around the bungs.
Like Mike Lee says, "you get what you pay for".
Kong Ported SC, 2.3 Grip Tec, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, NW103 TB, Mighty Mouse CC, ADM Expansion Tank, ARH 1 7/8 Headers, Catless 3" X-Pipe, Corsa Extreme, Eibach Springs, BMR Cradle Lockout, BMR Trailing/Control arms.
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #87
Zee_Ohh

Drives: truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Yep. If you buy ARH headers for GM cars now they actually say GM Performance on them or something like that I think. I saw it in RPM's video.
Anyone know what episode this was in?
Zee_Ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #88
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredtp View Post
Take a look at the weld qualities on the cheaper headers compared to ARH, especially around the bungs.
Exactly and I hate to use the term you get what you pay for but it could not apply any better than with headers.

The ONLY reason folks buy OBX is because they are cheaper, then if the fitment works (hopefully that's figured out by now) they end up with leaks somewhere down the line. It's really just not worth it to go with budget headers and no one will ever change my mind on that.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #89
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
On the 6gen we really recommend the long systems from header companines. Pretty sure ARH and Stainless Works are the only two that make "long system" that will replace everything up to the muffler. This replaces the "crush pipe" in front of the muffler which is a point of restriction on these cars. Especially when running big power. Also, they are the easiest to connect to aftermarket axlebacks down the road if you decide to change out the muffler. Every aftermarket catback we have ran has needed to be welded when added long tubes or vice versa. The connection points just don't match up with the catbacks.
Just a quick note, I believe someone posted where they tested the idea that the crush pipe was a “major point of restriction” , removed it, performed testing and found zero differences in power. I understand flow dynamics and same distance smaller diameter means increased air flow through that area to compensate, but this restriction doesn’t seem to be robbing the system of power. Can someone else confirm this or am I remembering the thread incorrectly?
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #90
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
Just a quick note, I believe someone posted where they tested the idea that the crush pipe was a “major point of restriction” , removed it, performed testing and found zero differences in power. I understand flow dynamics and same distance smaller diameter means increased air flow through that area to compensate, but this restriction doesn’t seem to be robbing the system of power. Can someone else confirm this or am I remembering the thread incorrectly?
Confirmed
Old 08-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #91
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredtp View Post
Although I never compared it to Kooks or ARH, I did go over my OBX headers (back on my 5th Gen) when I bought them and there was nothing I could see that would affect performance, fitment, or longevity of the headers. After 4 years and over 30K miles they had no leaks or anything. I sold them to another member on here and installed them on his Camaro and they were fine.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #92
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I ordered jba headers, they are on the cheaper side and not many reviews about them for camaros. I'll have a full review of them, as I feel they were a great deal, but have to see them and install first. Been waiting 4 weeks and counting.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #93
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Hello,

Sorry for the question, noob here... for a starting mods to a ZL1, what do you recommend and why?

2”
1 7/8”

About ceramic coating, just outside or inside too?

Thank you!

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #94
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I'm one of those guys that always had to have the best(usually because the price was highest) things when growing up. Just so I could brag.. look what I can afford blah blah.. In my older years nearing 50 I'm more open minded and not afraid to try new things or be persuaded by others or outrages prices for a similar part.

So I made this list and you will tell by the comments what I'm mean.. the order is what people think the best is going by word of shops that make more money because of percentage on mark ups.. example 600 headers 30% markup 180 bucks.. or 1800.00 headers 540.00

ARH /GM class of there own because they cost so much they must be the best..
Kooks
Stainless works
TSP
HOOKER
JBA
BBK
Borla

My 2 cents get the TSP maybe spend the money to have coated if your going after big numbers.. a puller swap, CAI, and tune I wouldn't worry about coatings if your on a budget.

I've installed 4 sets of headers I have had 4 Camaro's..

94 z28 Finish line performance FLP headers
2010 SS kooks coated
2016 Borla shop installed axle broke taking out the collectors I called Borla they warranted and actually wife wrenched as I directed.
2017zl1 TSP

The TSP are really good quality thick metal flanges, thick tubing, nice welds, no problem w fitment.

600 vs 1800 you tell me?

Oh I'm about to lay down 1000 at the wheels I'm not worried 1 bit with TSP quality..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #95
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Just got this back from Chris Clark at Kooks:

We have never used steel from China. As a matter of fact, we moved to North Carolina in 2009, the main driver of this move is that our manufacturing plant is only 3/4 of a mile from our steel mill. So not sure where you heard that from, but no we do not use steel from China.

Thanks!
Chris Clark
Kooks Headers and Exhaust
I'll be choosing from either Kooks or ARH here soon. $400 worth it to go for ARH over Kooks? I want to support an American/made in America company.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #96
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I guess u like burning money.. here is a set of well known brand after a year of use.. I'm putting down 200 more hp and my tsp do not look like this.
Attached Images

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #97
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Can we get more details about why they look like that?
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #98
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
I guess u like burning money.. here is a set of well known brand after a year of use.. I'm putting down 200 more hp and my tsp do not look like this.
Exactly why I choose ARH over Kooks which has also had fitment issues over the years too.

ARH is the only one sold and certified by GM as well.