Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Look up TF06-07 18k. This combo of wheels is already being used as an upgrade on the Evo's and Subarus. Looks like people are pumping out 380-550 whp depending on supporting mods and tuning.

Looking at the cost of this particular turbo for those guys I don't think this is going to be a cheap upgrade. New, I see them selling for $1600-$1700. For the price, I will stick with a stock modified turbo, or splurge the little extra on efr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're splurging a lot extra on an EFR, especially since no one makes an exhaust manifold yet.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #16
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Mitsubishi bringing the heat with a bolt on turbo upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
You're splurging a lot extra on an EFR, especially since no one makes an exhaust manifold yet.

If I wanted to run one bad enough I would make the parts needed to make it work.

Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #17
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
If I wanted to run one bad enough I would make the parts needed to make it work.

I know you have fab skils, but average Joe Sixpack doesn't. So now you're talking $2200 for an EFR + a custom exhaust manifold ($1000ish) if you can find someone to make it. I still think this new Mitsubishi upgrade will be awesome for the average modder, and the canned tuners should be able to offer a decent canned tune as well.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #18
suzook

Drives: camaro
Too bad the car is ugly as $hit. I wouldn't want that car if it were 700 HP.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #19
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
I know you have fab skils, but average Joe Sixpack doesn't. So now you're talking $2200 for an EFR + a custom exhaust manifold ($1000ish) if you can find someone to make it. I still think this new Mitsubishi upgrade will be awesome for the average modder, and the canned tuners should be able to offer a decent canned tune as well.

This is true, for Joe public, this may be a great upgrade. But I'd really want to see some hard info and Dyno tests before plopping the extra cash down on it vs a modified stock turbo. It would have to be vastly better to justify the extra cost (at least to me)...

The other thing to keep in mind is that USUALLY the stock modified turbos are rebuilt with better internals than the stock MHI turbos. I would guess that this new MHI "upgraded" turbo will still just have standard MHI internals.

Of course this is assuming the pricing will me similar to the Evo/Subaru specific turbo (~1600)... It would be fantastic if they could/would offer this for $1000-1200.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:24 PM   #20
Jason@JacFab

Anyone else actually look at the spec sheet in the video?

They claim max allowable boost for the stock turbo is 17, but people stock most people are seeing 19-21. People with a tune are pushing them to ~24+. Says the new turbo is good to 29psi... I'm guessing that means it can be pushed to 35+ pretty easy?

Max RPM of the new turbo is 150k, where as the stock turbo is 175k. I would think the machined wheel of the new turbo would be ok with higher rpms.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #21
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Too bad the car is ugly as $hit. I wouldn't want that car if it were 700 HP.
What car are you talking about?
Old 11-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #22
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
Quote:
How much did they quote you to upgrade, and what wheels did would be be machining to upgrade to? I waited 3-4 months to get my turbine housing machined for the HL wheel, but in the end I just had the company I sent it to send it back to me because I was tired of waiting and decided I would go back to doing it myself as they hadn't even started on it.

As far as fuel delivery goes, I don't think it would be as big of a deal as the EVO. Think, the evo's these turbos were going on are not direct injected, they use normal port injection and they have to upgrade their injectors some something like 550 or 1100cc/min when shooting for big power... the GDI injectors we have are somewhere in the neighborhood of around 130lb/hr (roughly 1350cc/min)... The only thing I can imagine might be upgraded easily would be the electric fuel pump in the tank... But we should be good to around 400hp, maybe 450 on the stock fuel system (pumps), but the injectors themselves are capable of supporting about 650hp.
Not sure if I can post up prices but $784 usd before shipping and taxes. Canadian turbo parts on Facebook. 64mm extended tip exducer. ML 50mm. Whatever the biggest that fits in the TD04 will fit. 300 machining
350 turbine and billet wheel
150 balancing
100 rebuild kit
150 labor
= 1050$cad + tax.

He can also upgrade parts on that new 18k.

For the price of the work on our Stock turbo. And a downpipe and tune...that would be the fastest route to go fast I'd say?
Old 11-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #23
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymick View Post
Not sure if I can post up prices but $784 usd before shipping and taxes. Canadian turbo parts on Facebook. 64mm extended tip exducer. ML 50mm. Whatever the biggest that fits in the TD04 will fit. 300 machining
350 turbine and billet wheel
150 balancing
100 rebuild kit
150 labor
= 1050$cad + tax.

He can also upgrade parts on that new 18k.

For the price of the work on our Stock turbo. And a downpipe and tune...that would be the fastest route to go fast I'd say?
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Yes, that would be the quickest way to get your car moving faster. Tuning will be the issue then.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #24
Jason@JacFab

Not bad. I would like to throw out that bigger isn't always better though, especially on the turbine side you can go too big in the stock housing and actually start losing performance.

Sounds like we're going to have some fast cars on the board in the future.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #25
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
I hear ya on the turbine side. I feel like GM engineered the LTG so that the timing. Turbo size. Head flow all match together. I'd like to hope that's what they did lol.

I rather have a larger compressor side than what we have. And only slightly larger turbine side. More midrange and a bit more high end.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:11 PM   #26
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
What car are you talking about?
I don't think he watched the video lol
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:25 AM   #27
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymick View Post
I hear ya on the turbine side. I feel like GM engineered the LTG so that the timing. Turbo size. Head flow all match together. I'd like to hope that's what they did lol.

I rather have a larger compressor side than what we have. And only slightly larger turbine side. More midrange and a bit more high end.

Perhaps. There isn't a lot of timing advance in the top end at all, I was really surprised. I still think there is quite a bit to be gained just from porting the compressor housing, even if the stock compressor wheel is left alone. It is really choked down in the housing, I can barely get a finger in the outlet of the compressor housing before porting.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #28
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:

If you build it they will come (me actually, I'll be on your door step)
Those efr turbos are wickedly bada$$ efficient... Its the route I'll go eventually
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote