Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #617
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
A manual cant compare to an auto, we’ve seen over and over and over again here. You’re gonna break things trying to keep up and you’ll not beat one. All these 1LE owners with horrific times, most can’t even run low 12s
have you ever taken a 1LE to the drag strip? and lets be honest, the drag strip itself is 1% of the cars total mileage. i grew up drag racing. you can’t tell me something i don’t already know. comparing a basic bitch ss to a 1LE on a drag strip is asinine.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #618
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Why you mad. You know you are getting dragged by auto basic SSs
me and everyone else in unmodified cars. spoiler: i didn’t buy a 1LE to drag race. just as i wouldn’t buy a c8 to drag race.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #619
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Stick shifts represented 6.8 percent of U.S. vehicle sales in 2012, according to IHS Markit. But that figure tumbled to a 3.5 percent in 2018, IHS projected in September that the percentage of cars sold with a manual transmission would fall to 2.6 percent in 2023. But Fiske said Sales of manual transmissions have been falling for decades – but their drop-off has accelerated in recent years.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #620
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Stick shifts represented 6.8 percent of U.S. vehicle sales in 2012, according to IHS Markit. But that figure tumbled to a 3.5 percent in 2018, IHS projected in September that the percentage of cars sold with a manual transmission would fall to 2.6 percent in 2023. But Fiske said Sales of manual transmissions have been falling for decades – but their drop-off has accelerated in recent years.
But what is it for cars like Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes?
Old 08-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #621
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
A manual cant compare to an auto, we’ve seen over and over and over again here. You’re gonna break things trying to keep up and you’ll not beat one. All these 1LE owners with horrific times, most can’t even run low 12s
News flash: drag racing is not the end all be all element of the automotive hobby. Nor is the dragstrip's less-than-legal street cousin.

It gets a bit tiresome when people who apparently place a car's entire worth on its quarter mile stats try to convince everybody else that that's the only thing that matters. It's not.

FWIW and for the foreseeable future, you couldn't pry me out of either of my 14-ish second MT cars (or the 15-ish second "spare") for a car with an automatic or other automated transmission. Not even with a guaranteed promise of easy 11's.

Norm
Old 08-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #622
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
But what is it for cars like Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes?
Mustang GT - 50%
Mustang Ecoboost - 20%

Camaro and Corvette - 20%

And just because . . .

WRX/STi - 88%

Source (Automobile magazine; should come up on a search):
Every 2020 Car Truck and SUV Available with a Manual Transmission
The manual may be dying, but there are still options.
By: Todd Lassa July 9, 2019

Norm
Old 08-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #623
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Which was entirely predictable. Fewer among the youngest crop of car buyers have had exposure to MT driving than was the case in the generation before them. Those 40-something/50-something parents had less exposure than those who came into driving during the 1960's, when nearly all of their parents could at least drive a MT car (most still did).

There are other reasons, of course. Lingering effects of 1970's near-total abandonment of performance, the rise in popularity of pickup trucks, minivans and SUVs, today's over-fascination with phones and never not being connected . . .

Norm
Old 08-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #624
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Who cares about straight line times ? I could build a 4 gen with that could do 11s , its still slow as far as going to a drag strip . The 1Le is a drivers car not a sit and go car and its not about going straight at all . Unless you have a 8 second car for the drag strip there is no need for a automatic , just not going that fast . The automatic SS can't touch a SS1Le around a track , the auto SS will never been known for any track achievements because its just not that fast .
Some lap times for you to cry over .
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willo...eets-of-willow
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #625
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
have you ever taken a 1LE to the drag strip? and lets be honest, the drag strip itself is 1% of the cars total mileage. i grew up drag racing. you can’t tell me something i don’t already know. comparing a basic bitch ss to a 1LE on a drag strip is asinine.
1% of the mileage, but the hardest miles the car will ever see by a huge margin.

and Fredo, enlighten us, what is a "basic bitch ss"? You talk like your not old enough to even buy a beer. So I doubt your DR experience is really all that significant.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #626
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
me and everyone else in unmodified cars. spoiler: i didn’t buy a 1LE to drag race. just as i wouldn’t buy a c8 to drag race.
That drag race talk is just stupid crap , want to drag race than build your own its not that hard . I don't get some people and their lame crap .
Old 08-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #627
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Who cares about straight line times ? I could build a 4 gen with that could do 11s , its still slow as far as going to a drag strip . The 1Le is a drivers car not a sit and go car and its not about going straight at all . Unless you have a 8 second car for the drag strip there is no need for a automatic , just not going that fast . The automatic SS can't touch a SS1Le around a track , the auto SS will never been known for any track achievements because its just not that fast .
Some lap times for you to cry over .
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willo...eets-of-willow
The Auto SS is quick straight line for it's price point, just like the 1LE is around the track. Neither are really fast compared to what you can build. I could build a 4th gen to carve corners cheaper then what it costs to buy a 6g1LE, same applies to going straight line so your point is moot. It's pretty easy to develop a lop sided POV for what you own.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #628
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The Auto SS is quick straight line for it's price point, just like the 1LE is around the track. Neither are really fast compared to what you can build. I could build a 4th gen to carve corners cheaper then what it costs to buy a 6g1LE, same applies to going straight line so your point is moot. It's pretty easy to develop a lop sided POV for what you own.
You are wrong , its not as easy as you think to build a car for road course . The SS 1Le is an amazing car for its money and track capability.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #629
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
News flash: drag racing is not the end all be all element of the automotive hobby. Nor is the dragstrip's less-than-legal street cousin.

It gets a bit tiresome when people who apparently place a car's entire worth on its quarter mile stats try to convince everybody else that that's the only thing that matters. It's not.

FWIW and for the foreseeable future, you couldn't pry me out of either of my 14-ish second MT cars (or the 15-ish second "spare") for a car with an automatic or other automated transmission. Not even with a guaranteed promise of easy 11's.

Norm
Then Norm a Miata is for you, they still make them. You may consider a Miata a "connected" performance car. I don't.

You are just out of any future performance car because of a manual is just not fast enough when it comes to err PERFORMACE. 1/4, drag race, street fight and probably most types of racing, from a roll, everyday acceleration the DCT is BETTER. You are absolutely correct that when NOT using maximum performance there is nothing "wrong" with a manual. Most cars sold are not performance cars, obviously many people buy performance cars because of performance.... I know that concept is a bit strange to you. Maybe you should actually drive a modern car with an auto. Clearly, an 11-year-old Mustang and a WRX (an archaic joke of a car), have left you disconnected to the reality of modern performance.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 08-18-2019 at 01:34 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:11 PM   #630
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
That drag race talk is just stupid crap , want to drag race than build your own its not that hard . I don't get some people and their lame crap .
Let me know when you can "build your own" drag racer, the C8 does a sub 3 0 -60, that is fast, no matter if you use a drag race, stopwatch, street fight or just get beat down by the car. Please find me a single 1LE on this board with street tires with ANY FORM of power added that can do a sub 3.0 0 - 60. For me I think it can be done but will require a Zl1 trans or a 3.27 rear gear set out of a 3.6 1LE... cause the manual can't shift fast enough for the sub 3.0.

"Not that hard" by somebody that has not done it. Lastly, there are 1LE at my local autoX and road race, so far I have not been impressed. Maybe they need a larger track dunno. Maybe the old geezer drivers that own them just can't shift anymore

So far there seems to be two guys on a older Mustang owner and a 1LE owner, that are insistent that performance only counts when it comes to them and their cars, but can't count when it comes to the C8. I for one think the C8 will destroy both of your cars from street to race to everything in-between. If you can't afford one great, neither can I. But obviously the performance derived from the mid-engine layout and the DCT are a game-changer PERIOD. That Chevy decided on NOT spending money on a transmission that can't offer the same performance. That Chevy can deliver said car for under 60K!!!!! Come guys it would seem you anger is miss directed. There has always been better, faster and in this case better looking. At some point in time you have to pay to play. No my muscle car is not "slower" since the announcement of the C8, but it is now regulated to a 2nd tier status for sure. That is the REALITY of the situation.

This is just like American Gaffitty, growing up we all knew there was such a thing as a Shelby Road Cobra, I never saw one, I wanted one, I dreamed of building my own kit car. I knew it was a car that clearly outperformed anything I could cobble together. But in the real world, nobody had one, so yep you could build a 340 to dominate most of the street (there is always faster)

Well, the reality is back except this time, IT IS REAL, there will lots of them c8 sat 40K and more and more each year. I is a game-changer and teenage boys are going to be putting up posters of the C8 in their room vs hemi Cuda, Hellcats et all. Heck given what my son is making out of UT ME as an intern, these boys can buy one 1 day out of college.

I can see my grandkid ask why would anybody stick a heavy engine in front of a performance car grandpa? Seems kind of silly. Almost like having a stick in the transmission so you can poke the gears around! Crazy talk.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 08-18-2019 at 01:29 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote