Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Ask Camaro Team - Poll #7
What is the purpose of the crimped exhaust? 4 13.79%
What are the effects of changing the tire size on our cars? 22 75.86%
Is stealth mode damaging at the track? 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Mar 2019 - Ask Al Poll #7

Here's Poll #7. Not a ton to choose from given the shakeup at GM and uncertainty of the new year...so I revisited a couple early options that were passed over, but interesting...

1) What is the purpose of the crimped exhaust?

2) What are the effects of changing the tire size on our cars?

3) Is stealth mode damaging at the track?
Old 03-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Regarding the crimped exhaust, these posts basically answer the question. It's crimped to allow a common exhaust between coupe and convertible models (which have extra bracing in that area -- see pictures in 2nd link below).

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...35&postcount=2
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=37

Also, this test proves (at least on an otherwise stock car) that the crimped section has no impact on the power curve compared to full tube in that section:

https://www.mishimoto.com/engineerin...he-crimp-myth/

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:41 AM   #3
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
#2. Just about eveyone does. Maybe include not just size but changing offset. Increasing track.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:53 PM   #4
vtirocz

Regarding the tire size question, I wanted to see if the original question could be reworded to incorporate all of Travis's (and other forum members) questions in subsequent posts? Here's a suggestion for the official question wording:

"What are the effects of a non-stock tire size on the sixth generation Camaro? Examples of this would be a SS (non-1LE) switching to SS 1LE wheels/tires (this is a very common upgrade) or a ZL1 (non-1LE) switching to the ZL1 1LE wheels/tires.

More specifically, we are interested in the following:
  • Which control modules contain the tire size information (or rev/mile) for the speedometer, ABS, traction control, and PTM?
  • Is there a method to correct the tire size in the control module(s) either at the dealer or via an aftermarket tuning tool without voiding the warranty? If there's no way to correct it currently, would the team consider adding this ability in the dealer's tool in service?
  • What tire size differences (or front to rear ratio differences) start to matter and have a potential negative impact on ABS, traction control, and/or PTM?
  • Would a tire size already offered on the 6th gen (ie. upgrading to SS 1LE on an SS) still be within a "safe zone" with negligible negative impact on ABS, traction control, and/or PTM?

The Camaro team / Al O. recently answered the suspension kit question (with track data!) and one of the tests they ran was to swap the SS 1LE wheel/tire kit onto an SS. The results were very favorable overall when this tire kit was added to a Camaro SS (which already had the suspension/lowering kit, so the wheel/tire kit was the only change between tests 3 and 4). I'm interested to hear if there were any trade-offs that weren't documented during that test. See more detail here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542333

Overall, we are really just looking for technical detail on the risks or trade-offs with running a non-stock tire size (even if it's a size offered on the 6th gen platform)."

Old 03-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Regarding the tire size question, I wanted to see if the original question could be reworded to incorporate all of Travis's (and other forum members) questions in subsequent posts? Here's a suggestion for the official question wording:

"What are the effects of a non-stock tire size on the sixth generation Camaro? Examples of this would be a SS (non-1LE) switching to SS 1LE wheels/tires (this is a very common upgrade) or a ZL1 (non-1LE) switching to the ZL1 1LE wheels/tires.

• Which control modules contain the tire size information (or rev/mile) for the speedometer, ABS, traction control, and PTM?
  • Is there a method to correct the tire size in the control module(s) either at the dealer or via an aftermarket tuning tool without voiding the warranty? If there's no way to correct it currently, would the team consider adding this ability in the dealer's tool in service?
  • What tire size differences (or front to rear ratio differences) start to matter and have a potential negative impact on ABS, traction control, and/or PTM?
  • Would a tire size already offered on the 6th gen (ie. upgrading to SS 1LE on an SS) still be within a "safe zone" with negligible negative impact on ABS, traction control, and/or PTM?

The Camaro team / Al O. recently answered the suspension kit question (with track data!) and one of the tests they ran was to swap the SS 1LE wheel/tire kit onto an SS. The results were very favorable overall when this tire kit was added to a Camaro SS (which already had the suspension/lowering kit, so the wheel/tire kit was the only change between tests 3 and 4). I'm interested to hear if there were any trade-offs that weren't documented during that test. See more detail here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542333

Overall, we are really just looking for technical detail on the risks or trade-offs with running a non-stock tire size (even if it's a size offered on the 6th gen platform)."
Thank you for that!

I was just beginning to draft something similiar - you saved me a lot of work!
Old 03-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #6
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:

Vtirocz, you have a way with words my friend. Well said, and I think you captured most of the question variants throughout the threads. Thanks for summarizing and getting it into a state that seems answerable for Team Camaro!

This one gets my vote for sure!!
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Thank you for that!

I was just beginning to draft something similiar - you saved me a lot of work!

Give him a free membership to the forum.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #8
vtirocz

Any word on timing for an answer on this one? It's been a little over a month since it was asked, so just wanted to check in.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
vtirocz

Any word on a response to this question. It’s been about 3 months since the question was asked.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #10
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Also wondering

Quote:
Any word on a response to this question. It’s been about 3 months since the question was asked.

pop2:
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote