Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #169
AngelaM

Drives: searching for new 2019 LT1 I4
This thread has been immensely helpful. I recently test drove a certified pre-owned 2019 I4 that had been tuned by the GMC dealership it was at before being put out on the lot. I've had a V6 as a rental, and this I4 was super fun to drive in comparison. Nothing wrong with the V6, but this tuned I4 was lightning quick, nimble, and just a lot of fun. It sold quickly and I'm sorry I missed the chance to buy it but I had just started looking. All these chip options are not for me since they void the powertrain warranty. I asked the dealership if they would tune a Camaro I bought elsewhere (I'm considering buying a leftover new 2019), and they said they couldn't without voiding the warranty. They'll only certify cars that they have on their lot. Does anyone else think this is an interesting option, or is this site mainly for people who want to do their own mods?
AngelaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #170
JJ2218

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
I recently test drove a certified pre-owned 2019 I4 that had been tuned by the GMC dealership it was at before being put out on the lot.
The dealership tuned it? Do you have info on how?
JJ2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #171
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Wwird turn of events.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:16 PM   #172
AngelaM

Drives: searching for new 2019 LT1 I4
I'm not that technically inclined so I'm sorry I can't answer the question. I wondered if the salesperson was full of BS (shocker) but another one confirmed they would do it for a car on their lot but not one purchased elsewhere. Maybe it's still BS?
AngelaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #173
JJ2218

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
I'm not that technically inclined so I'm sorry I can't answer the question. I wondered if the salesperson was full of BS (shocker) but another one confirmed they would do it for a car on their lot but not one purchased elsewhere. Maybe it's still BS?
It's possible the dealer was lying. I once had a friend who bought a Cavalier which the dealer said was turbocharged (it wasn't). But maybe they have a service department that knows a thing or two. There was a GM autocross team that had their ECU tuned by the engineers at GM. What was the dealer name?
JJ2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #174
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
I havent come across a GM-tuned Camaro yet. This is interesting, if true, but I'm highly doubting it.

If you dont want to void your warranty, the RaceChip is an option. Morally speaking, of course it's wrong to go about it that way. Performance wise, it does make a big difference but it is not as sound as a proper tune. I have the RC GTS but will be going with a full tune next spring/summer.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #175
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Remenber VW before dieselgate. I was shopping a tiguan and they came right out and offered a tuning option factory certified. I doubt you'll see that today. I get the sense the prevailing winds have changed and the big 3 and also abroad are shutting down the factory aftermarket for average consumers, ie us. Due to EPA regs. also they need to focus on the EV emergence. Think big picture Foreign oil and now Environmental forces, like a guy gluing himself to a jet in protest. If you not getting love from the Car makers, there's your answer. Once you go with anything to affect MPG or Co2, they have a right to try and reneg, and who can blame them.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote