Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-13-2022, 06:06 PM   #29
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
I'll be using RaggTopp on mine. It's been used for years by Corvette owners.
https://wolfsteins.com/collections/f...BoCSgQQAvD_BwE

https://youtu.be/lIshA1fgKrg
Old 10-13-2022, 09:03 PM   #30
W-Scott

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1, Convertible M6 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
The factory tops are Haartz Twillfast RPC cloth. I used Raggtop Vinyl top protectant on mine and several months later, i started getting the "adhesive/sticky" lines in many of the fold areas. Could the Raggtop be whats causing this?
Okay I looked up what this cloth is and found this:
https://www.haartz.com/products/twillfast-rpc
According to this link this material is made up of three layers. The middle layer is butyl rubber (elastomeric layer). Looks like the water proofing layer. Maybe this layer is breaking down or decomposing for some reason…

Seeing and thinking about that I looked around for a chart on the chemical compatibility of butyl rubber and found this link:
https://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-4
It’s about o-ring selections and environment capability (fluids, etc)
From that you could infer the compatibility of the cleaner or sealer you might use on your top.
Looks like butyl rubber certainly doesn’t like some chemicals that are found in some cleaners, and protectants (look up the safety data sheets for compositions).

Not going to guarantee this is it; but I’m going to think a bit harder know about what is applied to the top of the convertible.

Anyhow that’s my initial thoughts.
W-Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:56 AM   #31
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-Scott View Post
According to this link this material is made up of three layers. The middle layer is butyl rubber (elastomeric layer). Looks like the water proofing layer. Maybe this layer is breaking down or decomposing for some reason…

Seeing and thinking about that I looked around for a chart on the chemical compatibility of butyl rubber and found this link:
From that you could infer the compatibility of the cleaner or sealer you might use on your top.
Looks like butyl rubber certainly doesn’t like some chemicals that are found in some cleaners, and protectants (look up the safety data sheets for compositions).

Not going to guarantee this is it; but I’m going to think a bit harder know about what is applied to the top of the convertible.

Good research and I have to agree. When I had my convertible, I was always a bit leery about applying the top protectant, for this very reason. I applied it once to my first car and that was it. Whether or not the solvents in the products are causing these issues, is still up for debate. But, having this list is helpful as it seems Butyl just doesn’t like a lot of chemicals (tons of 4’s). I always wondered what / how tops were constructed of to make them waterproof, thanks. Maybe a call to tech resources at Rag Top or similar is in order?
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 03:05 PM   #32
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I've used both Raggtopp and Aerospace cleaners/protectants on my convertible top. I can't say with certainty, but I believe the issue started when I was using the Raggtopp products and has continually gotten worst after switching to the Aerospace products. If the problem is related to these products, my question for my particular situation is, "Why is it only happening in certain spots and only on the driver side?" A more general question is "Why aren't more vert owners who use these products experiencing the same problem?"
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 03:44 PM   #33
02blackss

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
I've used both Raggtopp and Aerospace cleaners/protectants on my convertible top. I can't say with certainty, but I believe the issue started when I was using the Raggtopp products and has continually gotten worst after switching to the Aerospace products. If the problem is related to these products, my question for my particular situation is, "Why is it only happening in certain spots and only on the driver side?" A more general question is "Why aren't more vert owners who use these products experiencing the same problem?"
All valid questions that no one seems to have an answer to....
Because my car will be a weekend warrior/live in the garage all its life, I may skip putting any products on the roof at all but still make sure any linkages are lubricated from time to time. Has anyone thought about using scotchguard?
I know its an old product but has been used on upolstery and fabric for many many decades...

Jason
02blackss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:31 PM   #34
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-Scott View Post

Going through my garage today - the raggtop bottle said "vinyl and fabric" cleaner. I firmly believe that there was some kind of reaction with the butyl rubber layer because the sticky residue is nearly covering my entire top
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:08 PM   #35
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackss View Post
Has anyone thought about using scotchguard?
No. Never gave it a thought.

Stick with what works: 303 or Raggtop.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:57 PM   #36
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Saw 2 more cars with this adhesive stuff on the tops. Same location on each top; rectangular shaped patches between the bows, going from 1 side to the other.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:34 AM   #37
Trueflangel

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro convertible
Angry

I have never used those cleaners on my car and it is still having these issues. I took it to the dealer and they say they have never seen anything like it. I have a 2016 with 53,000 miles on it garage kept and parked at work with no trees. I don't understand how this is happening?
Trueflangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:17 PM   #38
02blackss

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible
After reading through these posts again, maybe I am wrong but all of the cars that seem to be affected are 2016/2017's???

Can anyone chime in what year their car is and if you are having the issue?

Could have been a bad batch of tops...

Jason
02blackss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:11 PM   #39
MANNAXMAN

Just skimmed through the entire thread. classicrockr, Trueflangel and I all have 2016s. Didn't see any posts from any other members indicating that they also have this issue.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:44 PM   #40
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
Just skimmed through the entire thread. classicrockr, Trueflangel and I all have 2016s. Didn't see any posts from any other members indicating that they also have this issue.
How's your new top doing?
Old 04-07-2023, 08:45 AM   #41
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
I have a 2016, and it does show some markings that could match what is being described here.

OTOH, I think I only noticed it after I had applied the two-step 303 protection scheme, and I know I applied a little too much of it in one spot, on the "C" pillar (driver's side, of course). So when I noticed what might be described as the "adhesive coming through", I chalked it up to slight over-application, and didn't think of it again.

Now, though, when it stops raining, I will check to see if the marks exist between the bows and from side to side. Disclaimer: due to absolutely horrible house-purchase decision-making, I don't have a garage, so the baby sits outside all the time. Whether that exacerbates the adhesive problem, I could not say.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:49 PM   #42
MANNAXMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
How's your new top doing?
I haven't replaced my top...YET. I suspect I'll probably have to replace it in the next year or so because of the rear window coming unglued.