Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 06-22-2021, 03:05 PM   #15
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Definitely curious to see if you can figure this out... I know with mine, there are areas under the tonneau and (especially) under the trunk lid that hold pools of water. In fact, I often find that there's still a lot of soapy water in those areas when I am drying the car.

One "test" you could try would be to do what you typically do with washing and drying. Once you are comfortable that the top is completely dried out (and you may want to check the underside in those areas too to be sure water isn't actually getting -under- the canvas), put it down. Wait about two minutes, then bring it back up. See if there's any sort of moisture in those areas.
I dry the "wells" where the trunk struts are when the trunk is closed, as well as all of the surrounding areas after washing, but not usually under the tonneau cover. I'll try to remember to do that "test" the next time I wash it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Good eye. Those spots are right on top of each other when folded... so yeah likely localized.

Still looks like water/mildew type stain to me but because the OP said it's sticky, here's a WAG: Collection of soap residue after it got wet. Another WAG: possibly excess grease dripping out of the back of the left side latch (if that's even possible)? Would have had to have be pretty hot though and lithium does not drip ... which doesn't seem likely unless the car sat in the heat with the top folded for a long time. Or a hydraulic leak on the driver's side that sprayed oil.

OP, is there any evidence of oil/water spray around the driver's side lift mechanism under the tonneau?
Had to Google "WAG". I'll check under the tonneau for any evidence of a possible leak of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek View Post
Hi All,
Have you considered a sap from parking under a tree?
Is sticky, when it dries it has similar color.

Could get on the top unseen and then folded and smeared over the folds.

Sap may be a bitch to clean though.
I try to avoid parking under trees at all costs, so highly unlikely it's sap but not impossible.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #16
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Any resolution to this yet? Mine has started to do the same thing in multiple areas on both sides.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #17
MANNAXMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
Any resolution to this yet? Mine has started to do the same thing in multiple areas on both sides.
Unfortunately no resolution yet. I tried using IPA (isopropyl alcohol, not India Pale Ale LOL) to no avail. The cloth I applied the IPA to had some evidence that it was removing the residue, but it did not remove it entirely.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:05 PM   #18
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

UPDATE:

my auto interior guy used a lacquer thinner on a small spot of the glue on my top & it removed that adhesive thats seeping through. Said it doesnt hurt to use it on the top because it evaporates & doesnt corrode. When i got home i used some urethane reducer that i had; it took a little of the adhesive out, but the lacquer thinner did a much better job. Im gonna get some lacquer thinner to finish removing the adhesive & then i will post before & after pics.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:00 PM   #19
MANNAXMAN

Quote:
UPDATE:

my auto interior guy used a lacquer thinner on a small spot of the glue on my top & it removed that adhesive thats seeping through. Said it doesnt hurt to use it on the top because it evaporates & doesnt corrode. When i got home i used some urethane reducer that i had; it took a little of the adhesive out, but the lacquer thinner did a much better job. Im gonna get some lacquer thinner to finish removing the adhesive & then i will post before & after pics.
Please do. My top is getting worse. I tried using OTC 99% IPA, because I felt it would pretty harmless on canvas, to remove the residue. It didn't do much. So I'm still looking for a solution.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #20
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
Please do. My top is getting worse. I tried using OTC 99% IPA, because I felt it would pretty harmless on canvas, to remove the residue. It didn't do much. So I'm still looking for a solution.
It ended up being that the spot that was removed was a recently new "seeping" spot. The lacquer thinner removed that, but not the larger, more well established spots.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #21
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

The factory tops are Haartz Twillfast RPC cloth. I used Raggtop Vinyl top protectant on mine and several months later, i started getting the "adhesive/sticky" lines in many of the fold areas. Could the Raggtop be whats causing this?
Old 05-03-2022, 08:11 AM   #22
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
The factory tops are Haartz Twillfast RPC cloth. I used Raggtop Vinyl top protectant on mine and several months later, i started getting the "adhesive/sticky" lines in many of the fold areas. Could the Raggtop be whats causing this?
Actually, I had the same thought… Not sure though. I never felt 100% comfortable using 303. While it works well, the chemical smell kinda tells you it’s not something you want to come in contact with other chemicals or materials. I made extra effort to lightly brush around / wipe clean the rear window seal and all other rubber, plastic and paint. I could definitely imagine it damaging the adhesive, if layered on too heavy.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:56 PM   #23
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Actually, I had the same thought… Not sure though. I never felt 100% comfortable using 303. While it works well, the chemical smell kinda tells you it’s not something you want to come in contact with other chemicals or materials. I made extra effort to lightly brush around / wipe clean the rear window seal and all other rubber, plastic and paint. I could definitely imagine it damaging the adhesive, if layered on too heavy.
I didn't even pay attention to the fact that I was using VINYL protectant on my cloth top.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:16 PM   #24
Chutzpah

Quote:
I didn't even pay attention to the fact that I was using VINYL protectant on my cloth top.
Yea, that might be a problem
Old 08-25-2022, 08:09 AM   #25
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

My top stain has been getting worse; now it's showing up everywhere. At first I thought that using the Raggtop vinyl protectant was causing this (shoulda paid better attention when I bought the Raggtop spray).

But I just came from a local dealership & they have a C7 corvette with the same issue - the top looks similar to mine. The owner said he has never used any protectant on his top. Dealership can't pinpoint a definite cause, but since the stain has a sticky black residue, they believe its the top material breaking down over time from heat & wind exposure.
Attached Images

Last edited by classicrockr; 08-25-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-11-2022, 02:20 PM   #26
Trueflangel

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro convertible
My car is doing the same thing. The dealer can't figure out what it is. My car is garage kept and is parked during the day in a parking lot without trees. It feels sticky and when rubbed leaves black residue on your fingers. Have tried everything to get it off and nothing works.
Trueflangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:35 PM   #27
Chutzpah

Every time I see a post on glass delamination, this staining / adhesive issue, retractable flapper failure, or noise issues…I just shake my head. It’s total BS. What’s amazing is the hydraulics and electronics seem to be pretty much bullet proof. The simplest things are causing the most grief.

Good luck OP…
Old 10-13-2022, 05:57 PM   #28
02blackss

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible
As a car guy who has owned a few convertibles in his day, I have never heard of adhesive coming through the top. Especially where its pure cloth and nothing underneath. I can understand the window delaminating issue as there is glue involved. I am 99% sure that issue is caused by the hot sun softening the glue, hardens again when cool...repeat...Only thing I can think of is that there is some kind of resin/glue in the cloth fibers itself that is breaking down.

I am picking up a new 2023 ZL1 convertible next week and this is slightly concerning...I have seen a few 16 and 17's with high mileage and its not happening. Has to make you think...... A read a long time ago that 303 Aerospace protectant (For interior of car) was the best thing to use, compared to Armor All for example because it contains no petroleum distillates.

Petroleum Distillates wreak havoc on glue and glue compounds used inside cars.

I am wondering if any of the convertible top cleaners are the culprit of this mysterious sticky ooze coming from the fibers....

Jason
02blackss is offline   Reply With Quote