Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #239
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
If we're really talking about issues the camaro is no better with its A8 shudders which is still occurring on the newer models with no GM provided resolution in sight.
The difference being the Ford issues from the hood corrosion to the evap issues have been happening for over 10 years. And....a lot of members are getting warranty denials over these well known problems. At least GM is attempting different things - new converters, flushes etc. That's a far cry from Ford's, "um you're in your own". Or "we aren't aware of this issue". Even the 2018 GT guys with the grinding MT82s are getting the "that's normal" reply from their dealers / Ford.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:09 PM   #240
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Camaro issues:
-Driveshaft carrier bearing
-Rear axle shaft bolts (16-early 17)
-A8 TCC shudder
-Pinion seal leak
-Rear axle moan (mechanical diff; “an issue” some how with many of you people)

I’m not convinced there are issues with the LT1.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:59 AM   #241
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
Having owned a Ford Mustang I will tell you that you had better get a warranty if you purchase one of the 2018 Ford Mustang GT’s you will need it because you will be visiting your local Ford dealership service department or mechanics shop for repairs often. The term fix and repair daily is real they were not kinding. Take it from someone how owned a Ford Mustang it’s a fun vehicle to drive but, you will have better luck with the 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS in the long run. The worst thing I heard and seen for myself with the 2018 Ford Mustang GT is early replacement of the 5.0L 4V engine. The 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS has it’s own set of problems as posted.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:55 AM   #242
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
If we're really talking about issues the camaro is no better with its A8 shudders which is still occurring on the newer models with no GM provided resolution in sight.
ALL MODELS have issues, the Camaro is not immune.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510888

Here is what one member/owner posted within this forum.
"I had my tranny flushed as well last weekend. i regret so much buying a chevy car. i cant believe it. thought this was the car that make me believe in american engineering but just showed the lack of care in their products. i shouldve known better. all i think of nowadays is when its gonna show up and how soon i can dump this POS car for something far more reliable."
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #243
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
All of these issues have been beaten to death (with regards to the Gen6 Camaro, and S550 pre-refresh Mustang). This isn't a pissing contest. BUT, since there is a new refresh, it is a legitimate question if the refresh as addressed some of the common Mustang issues. Of particular note is the driveline vibrations issue, which was pretty widespread in comparison to the other things mentioned here, and it is also something that is very difficult to cure. Stedia seems to have a solution, but it would be nice to know if folks interested in the 2018 Mustang if they are going to need this solution or not.

If you have panel gap issues with your Mustang, just go to your dealership and have them adjust them. If you have an SS Camaro, get your diff fluid changed after the break-in before any groan issues come in and your fine. If you have the A8 trans, same thing, after break-in, get the trans fluid changed and your fine. Don't wait until these become issues.

Now, can we get back to talking performance? When I go to a 'vs' section, I want to see performance 'vs' performance, not a minor issue 'vs' minor issue pissing match.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #244
whiteboyblues2001

Has anyone been able to get the new PP2 out onto a track yet? Can't wait to see how well the stiffened suspension and grippy tires have settled the car down. I'd bet the new PP2 is going to be a beast at the track in comparison to any other stock GT Mustang!
Old 03-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #245
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Has anyone been able to get the new PP2 out onto a track yet? Can't wait to see how well the stiffened suspension and grippy tires have settled the car down. I'd bet the new PP2 is going to be a beast at the track in comparison to any other stock GT Mustang!
Apparently the PP2's are just starting to trickle in to dealers. At least one M6G guy has a PP2, so I'd expect we start hearing some feedback within the next few months once tracks start opening.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #246
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post

"I had my tranny flushed as well last weekend. i regret so much buying a chevy car. i cant believe it. thought this was the car that make me believe in american engineering but just showed the lack of care in their products. i shouldve known better. all i think of nowadays is when its gonna show up and how soon i can dump this POS car for something far more reliable."
Auto trans issues are an industry wide problem. And it seemed to have gotten worse the more complex they became. This is no excuse of course, but it's not just Chevy. Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, Mazda, Hyundai to name a few have all been plagued with some issue or the other.

The problem I have with Ford is the diversity of problems with certain models, some seemingly simple to fix, yet nothing has been done. A transmission is a lot more complex, and a quick fix may not always be possible. Again no excuse, I would be pissed too if I was in the above situation. But hood corrosion and failing evap cores? How hard could they be to remedy?

Have you seen what it takes to replace the evap core on a Mustang? The entire dash and all components have to be removed. That's nuts. Does it take a rocket scientist to figure out what's causing the hood corrosion? MT82 grinding? Nothing new. Ok, so it may not be a Ford issue. So what did they do? Rather than use a tried and true tranny like the TR-6060, they put the same crap back in 2018 GTs and guess what? Grinding issues again.

Now the TR-6060 wasn't perfect, but they have been improved. 2nd gear grinding was well known but they have better the syncros now. MT82s? Still grinding along.

Here's another issue that's plaguing even the 2017 mustangs:

This guy was so fed up with Ford he fixed it himself. How hard was this for Ford to improve?

I didn't mean for this to be a complete Ford bash fest but I can't help but observe their glaring purposeful ignorance when it comes to their customers.

On the bright side, aside from the hood erosion and a minor A/C issue, my sister's 2010 Mustang V6 has been a good car. It only has 40k miles though. The tranny shifts like butter, engine still going strong. Her experience was one of the reasons I considered the Mustang GT as a second choice. But after seeing the way they handled long term issues and how they treated their customers, I passed.

With Chevy, I get the feeling they are genuinely trying to improve. With Ford, there's an arrogance aspect to their treatment of their customers that sticks out, at least to me.

Last edited by torqueaddict; 03-27-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #247
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
With Chevy, I get the feeling they are genuinely trying to improve. With Ford, there's an arrogance aspect to their treatment of their customers that sticks out, at least to me.
They maybe have started trying to improve now...

They shit on a lot of LS7 buyers (IE Z06, etc) by refusing to recognize the dropped valves issue.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #248
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post

I was going to say all models but I was unsure about the 2018s so I withheld on it.

I mostly mentioned the issue since everyone is talking about how the Mustang has problems that has yet to be solved, just wanted to show that the grass isn't greener on the other side. I'm just waiting until we get to the point where all our DI engines will get coked to death. The dealerships will be making plenty of cake from that for sure.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #249
torqueaddict

Quote:
I'm just waiting until we get to the point where all our DI engines will get coked to death. The dealerships will be making plenty of cake from that for sure.
They said the same thing about the Mazdaspeed 3 Disi engines. Never happened.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #250
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
They said the same thing about the Mazdaspeed 3 Disi engines. Never happened.
People tend to say this about all direct injected engines, but that is definitely not the case. In most cases, it is a small displacement engine with boost. This causes more blowby past the rings, which causes more oil going through your PCV system (smaller amount of ring surface area, and more combustion pressure (in terms of pounds per square inch)). It is also a big problem in engines that are know to go through oil between oil changes. If you aren't losing any oil between oil changes, you probably don't have as much oil on the backs of your valves as someone who has to add a quart between oil changes.

The LT1 is not a small displacement engine and no boost. Plus there is a built in oil separator in the valve covers that was redesigned for the Camaro engine over what the Corvette got.

You can also get a catch can to help reduce the amount of oil going into the intake.

You can also use a product like CRC or Seafoam's upper engine cleaner. There is a hose that you put into the intake to spray cleaner through the throttle and into the intake manifold, so it cleans the backs of the valves. I have used both, and like the CRC product better. Worked wonders in several cases (two engines that were over 150k miles and were getting worse gas mileage, a tiny bit of hesitation, and needed to be turned over longer to start). Problem instantly solved Got noticeably better gas mileage as well.

I would recommend using this as a preventative rather than a cure for long term deposits, even though I used it as a cure for some issues. As a preventative, it will work more optimally.

In the end of the day, direct injection is not the cause of the issue, it only amplifies the issues cars get from consuming too much oil by a bunch.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #251
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100412

the 2018's have only been out a few months and dropping like flies already lol..

to predict the future look at the past...utter pos yet they still roll up to buy them
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #252
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueovalman View Post
Having owned a Ford Mustang I will tell you that you had better get a warranty if you purchase one of the 2018 Ford Mustang GT’s you will need it because you will be visiting your local Ford dealership service department or mechanics shop for repairs often. The term fix and repair daily is real they were not kinding. Take it from someone how owned a Ford Mustang it’s a fun vehicle to drive but, you will have better luck with the 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS in the long run. The worst thing I heard and seen for myself with the 2018 Ford Mustang GT is early replacement of the 5.0L 4V engine. The 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS has it’s own set of problems as posted.
Having owned a Mustang I will tell you that not once did I need my warranty as my car never needed repair while making nearly twice the power it was designed with.

Blanket statements are foolish.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote