#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 02-24-2016, 08:57 PM   #673
pdoherty972

Drives: 2013 370Z sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Racing regulations in some series for one.
I'm betting a lot of these cars only ever end up like I'd use them; tooling around town looking and handling good, and never see a track of any kind.
pdoherty972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #674
pdoherty972

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
It's surprising how many guys want the "track" version of the camaro to have every option available and an automatic transmission. I think you may be missing the point.
Why is that missing the point? Whether you put an auto and all the options on it it will still look better and handle better than the regular. Some of us would like that!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #675
pdoherty972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pinchy View Post
Is the hood wrapped at the factory or dealer? I might prefer it without it depending on the color of the car.
Agreed - the gray matte hood looks odd on the black car.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #676
pdoherty972

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBBS View Post
About the only complaint that I can come up with is the lack of the Bose audio. That really wouldn't add much in terms of weight to offer it. Then again I hardly turn the radio on in my 5th Gen. I'm much more inclined to listen to the sound of long tube headers, no cats and a great cat-back on my commute.
Is it still a catback when you don't have cats?
Old 02-25-2016, 06:43 AM   #677
pdoherty972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Sounds more like people who think they want the hardcore image without having to climb back down off Mount Luxury.

Norm
Yep - hard core looking Camaro plus killer handling plus all the creature comforts equals WIN.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #678
pdoherty972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
This outlook is why every car in every model and every trim is getting pushed ever more in the "luxury and features" direction and away from the essence of performance.

Norm
And yet these cars, despite catering to those of us who "want it all", are still delivering the performance.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #679
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
The performance may well be there, but the driving experience is steadily being diluted away from the driving part and its associated sensations. That much is not a 'win' by any stretch of the imagination, if it's the driving part that you really like and can appreciate.

Norm
Old 02-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #680
pdoherty972

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
Yeah, I wonder how or when we're going to be able to lower cars with MRC. It's funny how people / love hate the whole sued trend. I've seen it in other cars and it didn't age well. I could live with it though.
I couldn't care less about suede interior accents but sueded inserts in seats is a must have in my opinion. I love them on my 370Z and they're a popular upgrade to the Stingrays for a good reason. You get the durability of leather on the parts of the seats that need it with the comfort of the suede.

Last edited by pdoherty972; 02-26-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #681
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972 View Post
Agreed - the gray matte hood looks odd on the black car.
It's matte/satin black just like the mirrors and spoiler.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #682
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Why is that missing the point? Whether you put an auto and all the options on it it will still look better and handle better than the regular. Some of us would like that!
The point is not so it looks better and handles better. A set of wider wheels, and more aggressive stance will do that for you. You don't need a 1LE to get what you are saying you want.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:08 PM   #683
dw760

Drives: C3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
The point is not so it looks better and handles better. A set of wider wheels, and more aggressive stance will do that for you. You don't need a 1LE to get what you are saying you want.

Yep all he would need to do is this instead, though I would prefer 285/ 35s on all 4 corners , 305s on the back make it look a bit like a stink bug.

Cheers D
Attached Images

dw760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #684
Chad0311
Likes V8 powered vehicles

Drives: '16 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Isn't that what many are expecting from the 1LE?....SS buyers who got MRC, NPP, upgraded brakes...(yeah, yeah, there dealer installed...still an option now), will be pissed if everything that comes with the 1LE option is about the same price as what they just paid for a few options on their SS....
You've made this same point 100 times. The brakes were so expensive because they were an LPO option. Chevy isn't worried about 'pssing people off' who bought that stuff for their SS out of the gate.
Chad0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #685
pdoherty972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
What's even more interesting is a factor that few non-track enthusiasts ever think of: The driver mod.

For example: Supposedly, the 1LE is good for a 1:44 at Gingerman Raceway. I go all-out and try my damnedest...and the best time I've posted thus far (granted...I've only been there four times) is a 1:49. 5 seconds is an ETERNITY...and the only thing different between my time and that one was me; the driver.

So...bring me to a track day where a novice GT350 driver (or Z/28!!) runs a 1:51...and then becomes properly confused.

Practice....is the ultimate upgrade when it comes down to real-world track times.
Which all begs the question of why track times are so useful/important. I get why people who actually go to tracks care, but the 99% who buy these and never hit a track I'd think skidpad, slalom speed/time, 0-60 and quarter mile/trapspeed are all far more useful indicators of fun to drive on the street. For example the GT350 puts up great track times but will be less fun on the street from less torque and a need to rev the snot out of it.

Last edited by pdoherty972; 02-26-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #686
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Which all begs the question of why track times are so useful/important. I get why people who actually go to tracks care, but the 99% who buy these and never hit a track I'd think skidpad, slalom speed/time, 0-60 and quarter mile/trapspeed are all far more useful indicators of fun to drive on the street. For example the GT350 puts up great track times but will be less fun on the street from less torque and a need to rev the snot out of it.
It still takes a driver mod or two just to get good at any one of those individual items.

Unless you're already running at or close to wide-open throttle all the time as it is, having a little less midrange torque only means that you'll step into it a little deeper when you really do want more than average part throttle performance. Or drop it down a gear and use the revs which is fun in its own right. Downright rewarding when you can keep the engine revs in a happy place for the situation.

Track times are useful in that they paint kind of an overall picture of what the car is capable of. You aren't just accelerating, or just cornering, or just slaloming, or just braking. You may even be doing some of a couple of those simultaneously. FWIW, 0-60 and 60 foot times are just as irrelevant in reasonably sane street driving as they are out on the road course at an HPDE; they're strictly indicators of drag race potential.

My car has at least a hundred HP and as many ft-lbs less torque than an LS3, and I know I'm not needing more than 40% throttle to maintain speed at 100 mph in 4th gear. Maybe I should hook the gauge that displays that information up for some street driving observations . . .

Norm

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro 1le, 2017 camaro, 2017 camaro 1le, 6th gen camaro 1le, camaro 1le, camaro 1le 6th gen, camaro forum, camaro forums