Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 08-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
jmason

Drives: 18 ZL1 1le
Fontana auto X labor day weekend

Taking my zl1 1le auto crossing this weekend, I don't have the stock tires it came with some PS4's ( wish me luck ). Ive auto x my hellcat on street tires a few times any tips you guys wanna share? Anyone else going?
jmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
It's amazing that you took hellcat to autoX, with street tires! I felt even camaro is too big and heavy for autox. Probably because the autoX I've been to has narrow track and sharp turns.
ST45/ST43 brake pads
19x10.5/19x11 APEX wheels
305/325 Toyo R888R tires

Track Time
Buttonwillow 13cw - 2:01:001
Streets of Willow - 1:24:765
Big Willow - 1:35:375
Auto Club Speedway Roval - 1:55:592
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post
It's amazing that you took hellcat to autoX, with street tires! I felt even camaro is too big and heavy for autox. Probably because the autoX I've been to has narrow track and sharp turns.
Yeah the Camaro is big and heavy, but it does well. I run my stock 1LE in CAM-C and took 17th out of 120 yesterday in overall PAX. It's just really hard to beat those Miatas. But I'm on par with the Caymans and Model 3 locally in BS. But it is very course dependant. Add any moisture and I'm toast.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
Taking my zl1 1le auto crossing this weekend, I don't have the stock tires it came with some PS4's ( wish me luck ). Ive auto x my hellcat on street tires a few times any tips you guys wanna share? Anyone else going?
Doing NMCA? I tried to register when I heard about it but it was already full. I might go down and watch for fun. It's gonna suck with the PS4s. AutoClub doesn't have a lot of grip so you'll be giving up a fair bit of traction with those tires. But have fun. If I make it down there I'll look for your car.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:34 PM   #5
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Advice? Look as far ahead as you can, so that you're always getting the car ready for what's coming, not what you're already on top of. Use the gas pedal like a rheostat, not an on/off switch. Strive for a late apex on any corner that is before a straightaway. As you unwind the wheel from the apex to the exit, start to roll on the gas smoothly. Likewise, be smooth with mid-corner steering input - there should not be any sawing at the steering wheel once you've turned in.
In braking, a lot of people make the mistake of braking to early, and over-slowing the car.
You'll have less mid-corner understeer after you turn in if you give the car partial throttle, which transfers weight to the rear axle to let it take up some of the cornering load. By partial throttle, I mean enough gas to maintain a steady speed until you reach the apex and start to accelerate.
These principles apply to any car, but whereas smaller cars like Miatas can accept violent inputs during autocross, IMO, heavier cars require greater smoothness. That's my $.02.

Last edited by Roostie; 08-27-2019 at 11:36 PM. Reason: syntax
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
just got my new test rear shocks last night but wont have time to put them on and get out there this weekend plus have to help my gf move lol fun stuff
Old 08-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
jmason

Drives: 18 ZL1 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
Doing NMCA? I tried to register when I heard about it but it was already full. I might go down and watch for fun. It's gonna suck with the PS4s. AutoClub doesn't have a lot of grip so you'll be giving up a fair bit of traction with those tires. But have fun. If I make it down there I'll look for your car.
Yeah I took my hellcat out it was fun but extremely too big and heavy.

I got lucky and got a ticket at the last minute when I bought the car. I’ve been worried about the tires but I’ll do my best with them.

I’ll be there it’s a white zl1 1le with the number 10 on the sides
jmason is offline   Reply With Quote