Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-15-2019, 11:10 PM   #1
donaldp

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1 M6
Windshield Washer

Let me first say that I next to never use the windshield washer on any cars. I also don't think I've ever used it on my ZL1 in the two years I've owned it. That being said.... It has rained this week in San Diego and with the wipers off, I kept pulling the stalk towards me and got two complete swipes from the windshield wipers. I thought, that's different that you can swipe twice with one pull. Later, after viewing the writing on the stalk, I realized that I should press the lever downward to get one swipe which then made me realize that I was attempting to spray the windshield all the times before by pulling it towards me. There is no sound, no fluid comes out so I'm assuming my pump that i've never used is not functioning.

Where is the Windshield Washer Pump located? Has anyone had this issue?
I will replace it myself and pay for the part rather than even take my car to a shop for repairs even though this may be under warranty.
donaldp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:32 AM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
are you holding it towards you. you have to hold it for the washer to come on. do it to quick and only the wipers will work. sure it has fluid in it. the pump should be on the bottom of the reservoir. i wanted to look it up but the parts diagrams are down right now.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:04 AM   #3
donaldp

Initially no. After I realized that pulling the lever towards me was the window washer, I did hold it with no results other than the wipers wiping. No way to tell if there is fluid in the reservoir as it is housed rear front right fender behind the wheel.

If the pump is with the reservoir as you say, I will need to remove the front right wheel and the inner fender to get to it.
Thanks.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:24 AM   #4
JCunningham

put water in it and see if it works. though ya you should be able to hear the pump
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 01-16-2019, 01:27 AM   #5
JCunningham

https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/v-201...her-components
Old 01-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
donaldp

Thank you JCunningham
Old 01-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #7
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
There is a thread on this problem in the Problems forum.

Edit: this thread got moved so you will probably see it now.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
donaldp

Just replaced my windshield washer pump myself. VERY simple.

1. Turn wheels to the right
2. Remove one tab in lower rear front right wheel well and pull fender liner outward
3. Unclip pump from outside of fluid reservoir bottle by lifting up and out; plug water hole
4. With small flat screwdriver, unclip electrical connection
5. Pull off outbound fluid line
6. Reinstall new pump
7. Connect electrical connector
8. Connect outbound fluid line
9. Tuck fender liner back in and reinstall one tab

Ten minutes total.

Even though my car is under warranty, I purchased the pump myself to avoid ever leaving my car in anyone else's possession at the dealer. Well worth the $40 for the part and no door dings, scratches, or dents.