Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 09-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Ss launching tips need help

Hey guys, I went to the drag strip for my first time ever and let me say it was awesome. I used to think I was quick and knew what I was doing, but once that tree lights up, everything and anything I know, goes out the window. It was an extremely humbling expereince, that's for sure. Now that that is over, I need help, I did 10 runs up in Vegas over the weekend, and my fastest time was 13.1 with 20 psi in my tires by the end of the night. Kept going lower and lower. I'm on ps4' 295 in the back, secondary cat delete, no nannies on, and in sport mode all around. My 60' is absolutely horrid, so bad in fact, the people in the stands were saying how slow I was and didnt belong there, which is true, gotta start somewhere, but I'd like to be better for next time, so honestly, it's not so embarrassing lol. So how are you guys getting your killer 60' times? Also, after I lowered my pressure the last two runs when I shifted between first to second, and second to third the tires would spin a little, not a huge deal, but the second run shifting from first to second I heard a loud pop from the back, nothing that I'd heard from the car before, kept going, next shift was fine, and nothing appeared to be wrong, so I made the 3 hour track home. Any ideas of what that could've been or something to look out for? Coming out to my car after getting gas, still made me smile, even though I can't tap it, I know the potential is there and cant beat the lighting in these pics. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a drag noob trying to learn.
Attached Images

Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I don't consider a 60' of 2.2 that bad for your first time to the strip.

My best 60' is a 2.0 and best time (w/ a 2.13 60') is 12.6 @ 115mph, so take any suggestions below with a grain of salt.

For the best 60', I'd set the tire pressure to 26psi, drive around the water box, back up close to it, and do a quick spin before the run. Launch between 2500 - 3000rpm. I've tried dumping the clutch at 2500rpm, then managing wheelspin and also 3000rpm launch while riding the clutch a little more slowly (the latter seems to work better and be more consistent). Get to 100% pedal as soon as wheelspin is under control and use the no lift shift feature. If engine speed goes below 2000rpm, the 60' will suffer. Track prep definitely matters and you'll need to tailor your launch based on the available traction.

Here's a run with a 2.0 60ft (DA was around 3000ft, and overall time was 12.7 @ 113mph).

Here's a run from another forum member (yotaman96) with a 1.8 60' I believe:

Actually, yotaman96 could probably chime in with much better advice than I had above

The DA at your track was around 5k, which puts you at a disadvantage, hence the lower trap speed. How did other stock 6th gens run that night?

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #3
Booher

Do you have a YouTube link, I can never see these attachments, always says this plug in is not supported. I did go around the water box but only did a burnout once, my last one, and I bogged that run lol, of course. Now that you mention it, I was trying to use the throttle to control the spin and dumping the clutch at different rpms. I was finding it difficult to let off brake, hit the gas, let out the clutch, then throttle the paddle within a short amount of time. I was told to hold the brake with the ball of my foot and rest onto the gas, and just slip off the brake pedal at launch. Sounds good, but alot harder than I thought, maybe its muscle memory? I was also holding the clutch to the floor instead of near its engagement point. I'll give working the clutch some work, thanks for that. Sounds like I have alot of practicing to do lol. Fortunately for me, there weren't any other sixth gens out, lol.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Zzsteve

Drives: 2018 2SS
you shouldnt have to touch the brake once you are at a complete stop, and staged (assuming the track doesnt go down a big hill ;P )

on street tires, do EVERYTHING you can to prevent/minimize wheel spin. even if it means taking off like a grandma. once they start to spin, its over. unless you let completely off to gain traction again, you are just burning the timer. my friends laughed at how slow i took off on street tires in my ATS-V, but i managed an 11.40 on 275 r888's

without a good drag radial that allows a clutch dump, i've found it best to 'take off normal' and tip into the throttle, and just keep on the absolute very edge of wheel spin. then yes...NLS the snot out of it
Zzsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:47 PM   #5
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
Don't worry about it. my first time at the track i nervous at the light too. Im sure you know what i mean being a first timer and all. Believe or not i ran the exact same time as you and ran on the same tires. What you did wrong was dump the clutch. next time let whoever your racing take off first this will take some pressure off of you.AND go around the water box. your time wont start unless your grudge racing. take off like how you do at a light. try this first believe me. and that loud sound was your irs taking a beating. you need to learn how to shift fast and smoothly or else your gonna break something. We all have to start somewhere. Dont trip.
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
How the heck do you launch your car?
I have a bone stock 2018 Camaro SS LT1 on stock tires.
I tried launching at the track last Friday, all 3 attempts sucked.
Do you leave traction control on or off?
My 60' was over 2 seconds...help!!!
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
How the heck do you launch your car?
I have a bone stock 2018 Camaro SS LT1 on stock tires.
I tried launching at the track last Friday, all 3 attempts sucked.
Do you leave traction control on or off?
My 60' was over 2 seconds...help!!!
To get my 12.1@114 (1.8 second 60’ time)bone stock:
1. Rear tires at 22 psi. HVAC off...!
2. Drive around water box, then back up close like vtirocz said. Do a quick burnout to clean off the tires. I did not try to be John Force.
3. TC off, Track Mode and Competitive Driving Mode on
4. Trans back in Auto mode
5. Launch just off idle. Maybe 80% throttle down for a split second, and if the car felt like it was hooking, quickly put the pedal down.
6. Enjoy glory.

Hope that helps. I am FAR from a drag racing expert, but I was really happy with my bone stock time.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #8
Booher

That is some good advice, I need to work on that, and waiting to go after the light sounds like a great idea! Should take alot of the pressure and panicking out of the equation. I stayed away from the water box, but was curious if I should do a little dry burnout before each run. I never noticed the IRS before, but once I dropped my psi to 20, every gear bit hard. It's amazing what one night at the track will teach you. Before. I was looking for hp anywhere I could get it, but now, I need a driver mod, hah, no need for more power, yet, lol. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Convincing the guys at work is another story though lmao. That's a killer time josh, you guys and your automatics! I swear everyone at the track that night was auto rofl. Thanks for the moral support guys,time for practice and to search around for another dragstrip that's open.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #9
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
That is some good advice, I need to work on that, and waiting to go after the light sounds like a great idea! Should take alot of the pressure and panicking out of the equation. I stayed away from the water box, but was curious if I should do a little dry burnout before each run. I never noticed the IRS before, but once I dropped my psi to 20, every gear bit hard. It's amazing what one night at the track will teach you. Before. I was looking for hp anywhere I could get it, but now, I need a driver mod, hah, no need for more power, yet, lol. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Convincing the guys at work is another story though lmao. That's a killer time josh, you guys and your automatics! I swear everyone at the track that night was auto rofl. Thanks for the moral support guys,time for practice and to search around for another dragstrip that's open.
Thanks Booher! Believe me, I read EVERY DAMN post I could find for info the night before I went to the track. Tons of knowledgeable Camaro6 owners thankfully.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:23 PM   #10
18ss376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
To get my 12.1@114 (1.8 second 60’ time)bone stock:
1. Rear tires at 22 psi. HVAC off...!
Did that
2. Drive around water box, then back up close like vtirocz said. Do a quick burnout to clean off the tires.
Did that
3. TC off, That I didn't do
Track Mode and Competitive Driving Mode on
Did that
4. Trans back in Auto mode.
Did that
5. Launch just off idle.
Did that
Maybe 80% throttle down for a split second, and if the car felt like it was hooking, quickly put the pedal down.
If I stall it at all it bogs real bad
6. Enjoy glory.

Hope that helps. I am FAR from a drag racing expert, but I was really happy with my bone stock time.
+
Old 10-01-2018, 08:43 PM   #11
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
+
From my experience (on M6 car), leaving the TC on will kill the launch and power delivery after each shift. Basically, if you forget to turn it off, the run is ruined. The auto cars may behave a little differently.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:23 PM   #12
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
From my experience (on M6 car), leaving the TC on will kill the launch and power delivery after each shift. Basically, if you forget to turn it off, the run is ruined. The auto cars may behave a little differently.
Agreed, leaving the TC on is a big oversight IMO. And you can’t be in Competitive Driving Mode with the TC on anyway either (I think). So those 2 things will definitely affect your run.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:10 AM   #13
18ss376

Thanks guys, I will try with the TC off.
I'm an old school drag racer, the new stuff is WAY different.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #14
chross12

Drives: 2016 ss whipple,rotofab,A8,magride
A whipple bolt on is what i would suggest. As for getting the car to hook? Im am at a loss as well. I went to CF8 and struggled for tration like youself my 60 ft times were 2.2 and 2.4 when i tired to baby it off the line. My sugggestion is a PD and 15"wheel out back ...i am half way there with the PD whipple but stock wheels out back
chross12 is offline   Reply With Quote