Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
falc45

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible, Red/Black
2016 2 SS advice

I am new to the car only had it for a month. She has 8,000 miles on it and i am in love. I have noticed 3 things with it and i wanted to get your opinion as to whether these are normal or not.

1. The car idles rough almost like it has a miss.

2. The car starts slow, kinda like the timing is off. It is worse when warm. It will crank slow for a turn, then normal and start up.

3. there is a small vibration generally around 40-50mph. It feels as if it is coming from the middle to rear of the car.

There are no warning lights on, and the car is running fine other then these 3.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank You,

Dan
falc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty

It is normal. It is the cam that makes it feel like it is running rough.

2. The car starts slow, kinda like the timing is off. It is worse when warm. It will crank slow for a turn, then normal and start up.

Also normal for the SS.

3. there is a small vibration generally around 40-50mph. It feels as if it is coming from the middle to rear of the car.

Is your car an automatic. If so you may have the infamous A8 shutter. Go to the dealer and have transmission triple flushed. Mine did it but the flush so far has corrected it.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
falc45

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible, Red/Black
car is an automatic, I also read on the forums, the type of gas can cause #2, every heard of that?

Last edited by falc45; 06-07-2018 at 01:52 PM.
falc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by falc45 View Post
car is an automatic, I also read on the forums, the type of gas can cause #2, every heard of that?
#2 You might be hearing the Direct Injection. It does make the car sound like the timing is off or has a rod knock.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
all normal stuff. do check the tranny like somebody posted. if you buy.....you will love!
Old 06-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
Turkish01

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
The slow start is a bad starter. Mine did the same, after driving for a while if I shut the car off like to get gas, when it would restart it would crank once really slow then start up. It never did not start but was really slow. Told the dealer multiple times and they said they could not replicate it. Long story short I finally got them replace it and they said it had a “flat spot”. There’s no new part number for the starter so I’m assuming it’s a design flaw. The new ones been on for about 5000 miles and is starting to do it again. I’ve read there is no heat shielding around the starter and it just gets heat soaked and turns to crap. If it’s true I don’t know but it seems logical.
Turkish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
I am new to the car only had it for a month. She has 8,000 miles on it and i am in love. I have noticed 3 things with it and i wanted to get your opinion as to whether these are normal or not.

There are no warning lights on, and the car is running fine other then these 3.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank You,

Dan
1. Mine does the same, especially when cold.

2. On start, mine spins over just fine. Sometimes, it spins over a little longer than what I like before it finally starts, but the starter has no problem.

3. I have a manual, but no vibration issues at any speed.
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #8
ndnashlenz

Drives: 2019 1SS Crush, 2017 Corolla White
Agree with the other posts go and get it flushed and see if that fixes it, if not your still under warranty.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #9
martelds
Go Arizona Cardinals

Drives: 2006 GMC Duramax 2500 HD, 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish01 View Post
The slow start is a bad starter. Mine did the same, after driving for a while if I shut the car off like to get gas, when it would restart it would crank once really slow then start up. It never did not start but was really slow. Told the dealer multiple times and they said they could not replicate it. Long story short I finally got them replace it and they said it had a “flat spot”. There’s no new part number for the starter so I’m assuming it’s a design flaw. The new ones been on for about 5000 miles and is starting to do it again. I’ve read there is no heat shielding around the starter and it just gets heat soaked and turns to crap. If it’s true I don’t know but it seems logical.
I had the same issue, but it turned out my battery was bad. Been fine since. I have a 16 too.
2016 2SS Garnet Red 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Black Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, Corvette Z51 Black Wheels, Black Front Fascia, aFe / PFADT Suspension Lowering Springs, Black High Rise Rear Spoiler. High flow headers, E85, Roto-Fab Cold Air, MSD Atomic AirForce Intake. aFe / PFADT Front & Rear Sway Bar. Pushing 520 to the Rear Wheels
martelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
The SS has a LUMPY cam......

They take about 3-4 seconds of cranking to start-normal

A8- insist on flushing.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #11
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post

It is normal. It is the cam that makes it feel like it is running rough.

Also normal for the SS.

Is your car an automatic. If so you may have the infamous A8 shutter. Go to the dealer and have transmission triple flushed. Mine did it but the flush so far has corrected it.
Everything he said ^^^^

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote