Old 08-31-2017, 09:13 PM   #85
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Thought y'all would like this

Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:26 PM   #86
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Impressive. One faceted of a very balanced car.

Cooler temperatures means it's boost season. More fun to come

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #87
CarFlow1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 (Summit White)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Thought y'all would like this

cool race and the road they were driving on was free of any imperfections. No bumps or anything, just a smooth long stretch of road.
CarFlow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #88
Andi

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFlow1 View Post
cool race and the road they were driving on was free of any imperfections. No bumps or anything, just a smooth long stretch of road.
From those videos the cars look dead even. Whichever one gets the jump carries the extra momentum from that jump through the race.

I'll have to line up mine side by side one of these days. Charger is A8 and ZL1 is 1LE with the extra aero drag and M6; I have a feeling the charger will pull.
'15 Charger Hellcat
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #89
CarFlow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Impressive. One faceted of a very balanced car.

Cooler temperatures means it's boost season. More fun to come
By the way, how does cooler temps assist in boost performance?
Old 09-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #90
CarFlow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi View Post
From those videos the cars look dead even. Whichever one gets the jump carries the extra momentum from that jump through the race.

I'll have to line up mine side by side one of these days. Charger is A8 and ZL1 is 1LE with the extra aero drag and M6; I have a feeling the charger will pull.
Wonder if the Charger pulling ahead would be due to the A8. Would a Challenger M6 be a better match for the ZL1 1LE?
Old 09-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #91
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
By the way, how does cooler temps assist in boost performance?
Heat is the enemy of burning fuel. Cooler air contains more oxygen which is necessary to burn fuel.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #92
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Wonder if the Charger pulling ahead would be due to the A8. Would a Challenger M6 be a better match for the ZL1 1LE?
Yes
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #93
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi View Post
Exactly. So if you're somebody that is cross shopping these 2 cars, you'll have to look at other attributes besides acceleration to make a decision since they're virtually tied. Unless you go from a dig of course, and the Hellcat is on the factory bicycle tires.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #94
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
That car with the camera man was pretty dang skippy...
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:13 PM   #95
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Both cars really are evenly matched in a straight line. Whoever gets the jump will win. That is provided they are both stock. I think once mods are introduced (including pulleys and tune) the HC will pull away in a straight line if you stay with the stock blower. From a performance aspect the ZL1 can do more things extremely well and better than a HC. Like handling and braking. From a convenience aspect the HC is better as it is more roomy, has more storage space (ZL1 center console space is pitiful), and is more comfy. So it depends on intended use. If you prefer a car that handles then do not get a HC unless you'll mod the suspension. Even then I'm not sure how well it'll handle. If you need room and will be carting around 2 or more people then the ZL1 might be too cramped and I wouldn't get one.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #96
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123gm View Post
Not pro dodge just pointing out facts, what data do I need? The JD power website itself says that most of the problems come from the infotainment system and I don't think that's gonna leave you stranded. But thanks for the welcome, I'm just bustin your balls a bit, way to take it in stride.
Dependability or reliability can be important to people for a variety of reasons. Some dread getting stranded, others if they mod the car, they want to know how it will hold up. Some buying a car with no warranty want to know if it is going to be in the shop all the time and how much that costs. The 5th Gen ZL1 has held up very well with mods up to 1000HP, the rearend is bombproof. So those seeking reliability for those reasons would like the ZL1. Looking at JD Power from 2010 through 2017 Dodge rated an average of about 4 places from the bottom of the list. Chevrolet stayed in the middle until 2015 and has been in the top quarter since. And the ratings cover far more than just infotainment systems. I have never owned a Chevrolet prior to my ZL1, but when researching, dependability was a consideration. One considerations for me was not how big the back seat is, for others that is. When I started looking for a car I liked the retro looks of the Challenger, but for me Dodges dependability was just too low to be considered. And until their dependability rises I would not consider them. This thread is about ZL1 vs. Hellcat, dependability is just another consideration, just like HP, tires, 1/4 mile or track capability etc.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #97
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Quote:
If the person driving the m6 isn't quick between the gears, yes. But I've already seen stock m6 hc's run door to door with stock a8 hc's from a roll....it's the same way with the camaros as well. But if you go from a dig, the auto will be out a couple car lengths, even if you're a good driver.

I'd say with a good driver, you'd be affected more with drag in the 1le if you ran from a roll
Old 09-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #98
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Dependability or reliability can be important to people for a variety of reasons. Some dread getting stranded, others if they mod the car, they want to know how it will hold up. Some buying a car with no warranty want to know if it is going to be in the shop all the time and how much that costs. The 5th Gen ZL1 has held up very well with mods up to 1000HP, the rearend is bombproof. So those seeking reliability for those reasons would like the ZL1. Looking at JD Power from 2010 through 2017 Dodge rated an average of about 4 places from the bottom of the list. Chevrolet stayed in the middle until 2015 and has been in the top quarter since. And the ratings cover far more than just infotainment systems. I have never owned a Chevrolet prior to my ZL1, but when researching, dependability was a consideration. One considerations for me was not how big the back seat is, for others that is. When I started looking for a car I liked the retro looks of the Challenger, but for me Dodges dependability was just too low to be considered. And until their dependability rises I would not consider them. This thread is about ZL1 vs. Hellcat, dependability is just another consideration, just like HP, tires, 1/4 mile or track capability etc.
Concerning dependability after mods are introduced, I have seen plenty of failure threads relating to modded 5th Gen ZL1s and SSs. I even know a guy who had a CTS-V with full bolt-ons that had engine failure. In each case they all were way less than 1000 hp. I don't think the 5th Gen SS is strong enough to handle that kind of hp regardless of the tuning. But that is just me and my opinion. The 6th Gen ZL1 seems much stronger so I would like to see what it can handle. Someone said 1300 but I think it'll probably be more around 900. However, the Hellcats typically handle 900s easily from what I've seen. And I can only remember one engine failure mentioned involving a modded Hellcat. I hear they start to have engine failure at around 1100. So from just a modded POV, I would think the Hellcat has a stronger engine. Or at least for now I think I'd trust the Hellcat engine more than the 6th Gen ZL1.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote