Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #29
CamaroDude
Look Ma Im A Music Artist

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS
Hey Schnee, I am also 16 and i am planning on getting a Lt/Rs camaro for my first car. But anyways i dont plan on driving it to school that often in the winters here in michigan. This isnt because the car will be horrible in snow its just the fact that other drivers on the street may slide into you while driving to school or while trying to park for that matter. Honestly people at my school drives so bad that the only way I can avoid the dents and scratches is by parking in my auto class parking lot. So in conclusion just be careful driving in the snow or not. Watch for your self and others on the road and have fun.
CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #30
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
we'll see who's laughing once he has to go to traffic court
Man I wish I'd had that kind of attitude when I was 16. Would have saved me a lot of trouble.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #31
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
how are all you high school kids gonna afford a brand new Camaros...or are Mommy and Daddy gonna being be picking up the tab?
Old 09-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #32
Schnee
Future Proud Owner

Drives: Camaro will be my first =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
how are all you high school kids gonna afford a brand new Camaros...or are Mommy and Daddy gonna being be picking up the tab?
mommy and daddy are putting me on their insurance for a cheaper rate for me but seeing as i've been working my ass off for 4 years now, i'm fronting most of the bill. What's the problem anyway with our parents helping us out? if i earned it what's the difference?
Old 09-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #33
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
as others have said...be careful, and also test the car in an open parking lot so you know what you can and cannot do.

Oh and this:

GM has already thought about snow
Attached Images

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #34
Schnee
Future Proud Owner

oh yea, i remember seeing that in the special on msnbc: "Saving General Motors"
Old 09-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #35
CamaroDude
Look Ma Im A Music Artist

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnee View Post
mommy and daddy are putting me on their insurance for a cheaper rate for me but seeing as i've been working my ass off for 4 years now, i'm fronting most of the bill. What's the problem anyway with our parents helping us out? if i earned it what's the difference?
Exactly! I have been working my tail off to make my 10K that i am going to put down on it. I can handle the car payment itself with my Biz after that. And yes my parents are taking care of the insurance. And just as Schnee said if we earned it than what is the difference? Were all going to be proud Camaro owners right.
CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #36
DntWrryBeHappy21
Patiently Waiting...

Drives: whatevers in the driveway atm
Send a message via AIM to DntWrryBeHappy21
Quote:
i live in bergen so were really close. I appreciate the advice. I definitely wont be stupid enough to race it, my friend just got an audi and wants to race everyone he sees... we'll see who's laughing once he has to go to traffic court
hehe audis are fun but thats true Jersey cops will nail him....yeah we are pretty damn close once we all have our camaros i say we have a little east coast meet with the new yorkers and PAers as well hehe

And I agree if you earn it theres no problem getting help. Im a little more headstrong though with this one and I really wanna pay for everything for the car myself which is why im waiting so long to get mine. Plus dad said if I get a sports car Im gnna have to wait until im paying for my own insurance (because im a male under 25 its way more expensive plus the fact that its a sports car and theres 4 of us children one in college one just graduated lotsa payments goin on)

Good luck to you though, and yeah thankfully our winters arent half bad Id say if you can afford it snow tires would be the best possible idea along with driving your dads car whenever its extremely bad....and make sure you get a feel for how the beast handles in the snow....im assuming your getting the v6?

One day....
DntWrryBeHappy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #37
Schnee
Future Proud Owner

not sure whether im getting the v6 or v8... my sister got the v8 mustang when she was 17 so im not sure. i might get the v8 with the i think its called activemanagement thing? im not sure. hopefully we can get a meet going =) it would be cool
Old 09-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #38
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I feel that it's worth adding to this thread that the worst car I've driven in the snow was my Cobalt. That car was a lot of fun, but driving in the snow was terrible.

RWD doesn't have to be tough to drive in the snow. With all of the R&D GM has put into the Camaro, I would expect it to drive no worse than any other car in tough weather. Just be careful when you're in the snow. The vast majority of accidents are a result of driver error. If you wreck your Camaro in the snow, it probably isn't GM's fault.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #39
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Earning a car is different from receiving a car. If you work hard and buy it yourself like most people, there are no problems. But asking nicely and being given a brand new car . . . well that just doesn't sit well with many.

Quote:
not sure whether im getting the v6 or v8... my sister got the v8 mustang when she was 17 so im not sure. i might get the v8 with the i think its called activemanagement thing? im not sure. hopefully we can get a meet going =) it would be cool
That would be active fuel management. It is on the L99 engine, which is mated to the automatic transmission.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #40
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Earning a car is different from receiving a car. If you work hard and buy it yourself like most people, there are no problems. But asking nicely and being given a brand new car . . . well that just doesn't sit well with many.
I didn't think it was so bad receiving a car when I got my Cobalt. Now that I will be getting the Camaro with my own money, I don't think that there's anything as rewarding as earning your own.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #41
Attorneyguy

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
There is a video on youtube showing a G8 driving in the snow (it's from this past March). The G8 handles the road quite nicely.
Attorneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #42
psmitty311

Drives: 1993 Honda Accord
I grew up in Germany (Army brat) and dealt with some of the worst driving conditions I've seen yet, and I'm now used to PA winters. May parents are now now stationed near Ramstein AFB which is in a state that legally requires winter tires on cars. And thank god. Germany gets a little snow, but a lot of "black ice." The road just looks wet, which would be normal, but some parts are actually ice, and you can't tell where. I actually prefer driving on snow since it has traction in comparison, but i drive carefully. I was driving my family's '95 Volvo 850 Turbo (FWD) when I hit a particularly long patch in a turn on a mountain road. I agree with a lot of people on here about practicing and "having fun." The only things that saved me that day were the winter tires, abs, and a lot of compensating. It was the first time I hit black ice, and while I came to a stop off the road, it wasn't at the bottom of the mountain. Practice, winter tires, and be careful as all hell! Good luck with it!
psmitty311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow, winter