Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-21-2023, 02:42 PM   #407
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Isn't income a direct relation to where you live?
Then I'm doing it all wrong.

I'm broke af, live in a town known to be Ritzy, while wondering if I have enough gas money to make it to work next week.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:44 PM   #408
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
My income varies alot, but over the past 3 years I have ranged between $180k to $400k.

When I bought my SS I was about $75k.. ..I paid it off and not really looking to splurge on another toy yet.
I wish I had first world problems like that. I feel like I'm on welfare on these forums lol.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:16 PM   #409
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
I wish I had first world problems like that. I feel like I'm on welfare on these forums lol.
Bleh, I have problems too. Income ain't everything. Whats more important is how much you save.

Austin is a fairly expensive place to live. The reason I have pushed myself to this income group is because I needed to
  • Pay off my student loans
  • Buy a house
  • Pay for a $80,000 jaw surgery that neither my medical nor dental insurance is covering
  • Pay off my SS and get out of the loan
  • Buy Solar Panels (I'm single and no dependent so a $400k income pretty much devours me in taxes. I needed the tax write off.)
  • Buy a house full of furniture (I moved here with no furniture and was sleeping on the floor for about 2 years just starting fresh)

It just took alot of work and studying. I was studying during my shift, overnight, and got more and more certifications in my field of work until I qualified for higher paying job, then when remote work opened up I started doubling up on jobs plus doing Uber ontop of those jobs on the side between 4am and 9am weekdays and all day on weekends ... I actually don't get alot of sleep ... but for me thats the trade off ...
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #410
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
I hear you!
Old 03-21-2023, 03:40 PM   #411
Wy Guy
SS Papa

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Bleh, I have problems too. Income ain't everything. Whats more important is how much you save.

Austin is a fairly expensive place to live. The reason I have pushed myself to this income group is because I needed to
  • Pay off my student loans
  • Buy a house
  • Pay for a $80,000 jaw surgery that neither my medical nor dental insurance is covering
  • Pay off my SS and get out of the loan
  • Buy Solar Panels (I'm single and no dependent so a $400k income pretty much devours me in taxes. I needed the tax write off.)
  • Buy a house full of furniture (I moved here with no furniture and was sleeping on the floor for about 2 years just starting fresh)

It just took alot of work and studying. I was studying during my shift, overnight, and got more and more certifications in my field of work until I qualified for higher paying job, then when remote work opened up I started doubling up on jobs plus doing Uber ontop of those jobs on the side between 4am and 9am weekdays and all day on weekends ... I actually don't get alot of sleep ... but for me thats the trade off ...
I hear that, Taxes are killing me as a single guy with no kids. Luckily I am getting married this year so hopefully that helps a little regarding the taxes. And I agree, saving is always important. I save about 45% of my income currently, that savings either stays in a money market account, or goes straight to a mutual fund (After maxing 401k contributions). I live like I dont get that 45%, and save it for when I might really need it/retirement. I live in the same apartment I did when I made 50k a year. Trying as hard as I can to not get used to lifestyle-inflation. My dad always says that people never think the money train will stop rolling, until it does.
Wy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:41 PM   #412
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:

Lol you aint the only one. When I see someone say they bought their 40K+ Camaro via cash I'm like wtf. I wish I had 40K in disposable income to spend on a toy.

My current car is at the top of my budget and you best believe I'm financing it for 72mo lmao. Got a 1.9% APR so I don't feel too guilt. Working to pay it off in 60month though.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:53 PM   #413
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
There are so many factors that go into purchasing a car like a Camaro. For me it's about my priorities, my age and my responsibilities. Both my kids have graduated from college and are essentially on their own, I'm well settled in my profession and I'd rather have a toy car than many other tangible things I could spend money on. Is a car a good investment compared to something like say real estate? Probably not, but it's something I really enjoy. Life is short so you need to be able to indulge on things you enjoy as long as it doesn't put you in a bad economic situation. At least that is my philosophy.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:04 PM   #414
walkerheaders

Drives: 2023 1SS Radiant A10 63 427 Impala
Was it smart to order and pay cash for a new SS? Nope. However, I'm at peace with it. Nuff said. In have an assortment of other stuff to ride.
walkerheaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:01 PM   #415
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
Really hard to compare, based on salary alone. You have the COL in the area you live, retirement planning / investments, etc... Someones $100K in one area would require $350K in another.

For example, my buddy just left his ~85K engineering salary (decent where we are) where he paid $1,000/mo on his house mortgage a month in a relatively low COL area, to a $220K salary outside of San Francisco where he now has to pay $3,600/mo for just an apartment... Not to mention higher fuel prices, and everything else he now deals with at higher cost. If he buys a home, it will be shy of $1M to buy one in the area he is working now. Sure, his salary basically tripled, but everything else is far more expensive, he really is not ahead when you break it down. He also has quite a bit of student loan debt he is working off.

I make a typical engineer salary in my area, it's nothing crazy but it's good enough that with our expenses of our home, cars, multiple vacations a year, etc... I can still dump ~20% of my pay into my 401K and practically max it out every year. House will be done and paid off by the time I am 43 and both of our car payments are done in 2 years (saving a combined $1100 in car payments between the two). So that will be really nice. We never go out to eat, cooking everything we eat for the most part, so that saves us quite a bit to put away for other things (like our vacations!). Zero CC debt, no student loans, etc...

It just depends on so much at the end of the day.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:11 PM   #416
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
It will all factor out for you young guys working hard to raise a family buy a house or save to buy one , help the kids thru college and pay for the daily essentials. For years on an off while my girls were growing up, I worked 7 days a week , with a stay home wife til the girls were in middle school . It wasn't easy , but fulfilling I did it . Fast forward to 2023 , how time flies, in my late sixty's now , I am blessed and with do diligence , was able to afford a Camaro . Never stop dreaming and working hard.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:57 PM   #417
snicko

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSoftware View Post
I suppose this is a splurge, in the sense that if I just needed transport, I could get by way cheaper. What has been getting interesting reactions from various sales people is that I'm not financing. I actually saved up the money first.

The car is less than half a year's gross. The airplane, otoh,....
Talk nerdy to me about the airplane...

and.. is there a story behind the username?
snicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:08 AM   #418
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Then I'm doing it all wrong.

I'm broke af, live in a town known to be Ritzy, while wondering if I have enough gas money to make it to work next week.

Generically speaking

If you make 100k in San Fran you only need 57k in Baltimore to be "the same"

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:05 AM   #419
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Wow, I came in here fully expecting a dick measuring contest, but I found some good discussion instead, lovely

The only thing I will say is that a Camaro is never a smart purchase, it's a heart purchase

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:08 AM   #420
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Guy View Post
Luckily I am getting married this year so hopefully that helps a little regarding the taxes.
It depends on what you are marrying into.
Marriage can help or hurt you tax-wise:
https://tpc-marriage-calculator.urban.org/
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote