Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #15
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
If you have an A8 without issues, its awesome. It's best if you let it do its own thing, especially on track.
Also remember that the A10 in the new 2019 is not the same one as the ZL1.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #16
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
It would sure piss me off that I just bought a brand new camaro, and boom the next year they put in the A10 in place of the A8. Anyone else feel like that?? The A8 is a great trans, but A10 is two more. And more is better...lol
OP you do smell like a "troll" but here are my 2 cents......
More gears makes NOT a better transmission. GM has the best transmission designs for almost a century, and their latest has only one single gear!! It is the 5ET50 being used for the FWD Chevy Volt. Yes, that is a hybrid, but that also eliminates the need for gearing because the main power supplier is the electric motor. Hybrids actually simplify torque requirements and reduce gas engine loading and burning gasoline. You can get better acceleration yet get over 40 MPG, too.....
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #17
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
It would sure piss me off that I just bought a brand new camaro, and boom the next year they put in the A10 in place of the A8. Anyone else feel like that?? The A8 is a great trans, but A10 is two more. And more is better...lol
It didn't piss me off.

The A8 is a great transmission overall (mine doesn't shudder), and whoever did their homework before purchase knew exactly what they were buying into. Also, it would be foolish to expect things to stay the same forever.

Not sure about the "more is better" oversimplification either. The A10 is obviously better, but the vast difference coming through comments here feels overstated ("junk", "piece of s***", "absolute trash" vs "best non-DCT trans ever", "in another league", "night and day from the A8"). I think the known A8 issues are distorting its perception and cause much of the negativity, when it works, it is pretty good.

Full disclosure, I haven't driven the GM A10 yet, will do as soon as I can, and if it's indeed worlds apart from the A8, I'll come back here, update this comment and admit the error of my ways.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #18
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
You simply were ignorant if not expecting the A10 to hit & should not have been surprised or at least expected to understand it would hit other Camaro models after the 17 ZL1 launch...the 411 on this very vocal joint A10 Ford / GM venture has been out for a very long time. I have my 2nd A10 in my company 18 F150. It's going to be the flagship in many vehicles across both lines like announced many many months ago??

I find it hard to believe anyone would totally sucker punched...Really?? holy crap, how'd that happen??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #19
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
I’ve had the shudder and the the 3 flush has worked so far. More mad at myself for not getting a manual. Wanted to try the automatic and miss the manual.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #20
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
people are running into the 8's with stock or nearly stock a8's. I am pretty happy about that. I am jealous of the trans brake feature the mustang guys have with their version of the a10.
Best response to OP's question.

A8 4life but jeally about the tb also.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:06 AM   #21
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Best response to OP's question.

A8 4life but jeally about the tb also.
What does that transmission break do? And does 19 Camaro have it?
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:10 AM   #22
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
Two summers ago I decided I wanted a used Camaro after almost a decade since I owned a 4th gen. I actually purchased a 2013 that was very clean and well cared for. During the test drive, I somehow did not notice that the car didn’t have a backup camera even though all the sales ads clearly stated that it had one. As I backed up to leave the dealership after the purchase, that’s when I noticed. This was a dealbreaker for me that the dealership couldn’t / wouldn’t overcome so I canceled the sale right there. A month later I found and bought a 2016 one state away for not that much more money. Knowing what I know now, I hate to think of being stuck with the 2013. A10 vs. A8 is nothing compared to being in the 5th vs. 6th gen camp. No A8 transmission problems at 22K miles right now plus I have the CPO warranty that extends the powertrain protection. I’m not too worried about it for now.
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:26 AM   #23
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Wait till you get the shudder at 5-10k miles. Then see the **** show that's GM and its dealers. You'll love your A8 then
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:02 AM   #24
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
Wait till you get the shudder at 5-10k miles. Then see the **** show that's GM and its dealers. You'll love your A8 then
had it. 2 flushes later and a new tc, I still don't blame the A8. I blame the tc
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:22 AM   #25
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post
What does that transmission break do? And does 19 Camaro have it?
A strictly drag-racing alteration/addition to automatic transmission operation. Couldn't tell you whether any '19 Camaro has it or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transbrake

Quote:
In drag racing, a transbrake is a mechanism that selectively places the transmission in first and reverse gears simultaneously, effectively holding the race car stationary as if the foot brake was applied. It is specifically used on automatic transmissions that employ a torque converter, where it is beneficial to build up hydraulic pressure before the vehicle is launched. The transbrake is activated by the driver by applying electric current to a solenoid at the transmission. With the transbrake engaged (transmission locked), the engine throttle can be increased to any position (opening) in preparation for launch without the race driver worrying about the car creeping forward. Milliseconds before the green light illuminates on the Tree the transbrake is released (by the driver releasing an electrical switch or by a delay box "timing out" originally triggered by the driver releasing an electrical switch) and the car launches forward, its engine already in the higher power band and the transmission already in low gear.
A transmission that breaks isn't much good at the dragstrip or anywhere else.

Norm
Old 12-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #26
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
You simply were ignorant if not expecting the A10 to hit & should not have been surprised or at least expected to understand it would hit other Camaro models after the 17 ZL1 launch...the 411 on this very vocal joint A10 Ford / GM venture has been out for a very long time. I have my 2nd A10 in my company 18 F150. It's going to be the flagship in many vehicles across both lines like announced many many months ago??

I find it hard to believe anyone would totally sucker punched...Really?? holy crap, how'd that happen??
The A10 is still listed on Chevrolet.com as being a ZL1-only option. We'll have to see how long it takes for availability to filter down into the SS and LS/LT levels.

OP currently drives a Challenger . . . maybe he's looking at getting an A8 Camaro just before the A10 debuts in it as being like buying a Challenger R/T a month or two before the Hellcat was announced.

Using hindsight to bulk up feelings of buyer regret has to be one of life's bigger wastes of time & energy.

Norm
Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #27
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Nope

Quote:
Can't say that it bothers me at all.
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #28
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenPoop View Post
Yes. Yes I am. The A8 has issues and GM won't friggin fix it. Their magic cure all that those of us with the shudder or other problems have been waiting on is nothing but another damn flush. They have had several years to address this, and this is what we get. Another big F you. I am done. Damn a warranty. Soon as HP Tuners gets more in stock, I am buying another TCM and getting another converter put in. The folks at GM can eat a bag of dicks and choke to death on the last one.
God I wish we had a like button for posts!
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote