Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
BDivine76

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Ported TB + CAI

I installed a Mamo ported TB and Rotofab CAI a few weeks ago and finally had a chance to get the car out and drive it. Around town I don't notice much more SC whine...but at WOT it sounds 100% better.

Overall I'm not going to say there's any noticeable power improvements, but I will say the throttle feels more linear- that's one of the things Tony said would be improved with the ported TB and it is noticeable, especially when manual shifting.

All said and done considering the cost and time (maybe a total of an hour to install) it's worth doing. I know I had a few questions before I did mine so I thought I would share some observations.
BDivine76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
RDBill
902HP 858TQ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
To get the real benefit you should get it tuned
RDBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
Marty31

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
This will be my first two mods also. I figure it’s a no brainer to start with.
Marty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:27 PM   #4
BDivine76

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBill View Post
I spoke with my local tuner and his advice was to hold off a tune until I do something like a pulley. He claims there's not much to gain until something more major is done...not sure if anyone has any other experience to the contrary.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
There may be some gains but it’s not worth the loss of warranty.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #6
BDivine76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
There may be some gains but it’s not worth the loss of warranty.
That's the logic I'm going with so far....you know, until I decide I need to tinker some more Give me a few more months and I'm sure I'll be doing a pulley swap, a tune, maybe a cam and some headers...warranty be damned.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
Doc_Scott

Drives: GMC Terrain
Truthfully, that's why I am considering the Hennessey packages as they provide a warranty if they install it. Not sure if this helps at all, but it is an option.
Doc_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:21 PM   #8
BDivine76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Scott View Post
Truthfully, that's why I am considering the Hennessey packages as they provide a warranty if they install it. Not sure if this helps at all, but it is an option.
I hadn't really looked at them, but that does make sense.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBill View Post
Not necessary or cost efficient with a TB and CAI.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #10
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
Not necessary or cost efficient with a TB and CAI.
I agree based on hat I’ve seen from some dyno runs; it seems CAI like rotofab can give about 25whp on its own, when Ted combined this with a Tune it only reached 37whp.

If Borla claims are true that the 3” ZL1 catback also creates 25whp then that’s 50whp right there.

I’m not sure at what point a tune is needed and why it is needed for LT Headers, but a ported SC seems to be able to add 30whp (not a good bang for buck cost wise).

I’m not sure if one can simply add these all together for 80whp or if it can all be done without a tune.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:49 PM   #11
HyperBlu17

Drives: 2017 HBM ZL1
Well truth is most GM techs wouldn’t know the car is modded when it comes to warranty work anyway and even then they probably wouldn’t say anything lol.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:10 AM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Scott View Post
Their warranty is on the parts they install and truth be known that warranty comes from the part manufacturer anyway. Going this route you will pay more than double for your mods and still not have much of a warranty. Lots of good shops around here that will take care of you just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlu17 View Post
Well truth is most GM techs wouldn’t know the car is modded when it comes to warranty work anyway and even then they probably wouldn’t say anything lol.
Until something major happens and they are required to send info to GM on tune etc.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:17 AM   #13
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I agree based on hat I’ve seen from some dyno runs; it seems CAI like rotofab can give about 25whp on its own, when Ted combined this with a Tune it only reached 37whp.

If Borla claims are true that the 3” ZL1 catback also creates 25whp then that’s 50whp right there.

I’m not sure at what point a tune is needed and why it is needed for LT Headers, but a ported SC seems to be able to add 30whp (not a good bang for buck cost wise).

I’m not sure if one can simply add these all together for 80whp or if it can all be done without a tune.
You won't get anything from a catback and just a very few HP out of a RotoFab.

Headers require a tune to adjust Air/Fuel ratio so you get the most benefit. Also takes care of rear O2 sensor CEL you will get without at tune. Headers +tune will get you the most guaranteed HP for the buck.

Basically the OP spent about 1k $$ and might have gotten 10 hp and a little better throttle feel. I'm not knocking it as I have a RotoFab as well but don't think these will give you HP, but they can void your warranty.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:42 AM   #14
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You won't get anything from a catback and just a very few HP out of a RotoFab.

Headers require a tune to adjust Air/Fuel ratio so you get the most benefit. Also takes care of rear O2 sensor CEL you will get without at tune. Headers +tune will get you the most guaranteed HP for the buck.

Basically the OP spent about 1k $$ and might have gotten 10 hp and a little better throttle feel. I'm not knocking it as I have a RotoFab as well but don't think these will give you HP, but they can void your warranty.
Thanks for the explanation re the headers.

there have been 3rd party dyno results posted on this forum showing an increase of over 20whp with the rotofab, why do you say CAI won’t increase hp?

As for the cat back, How do you know a 3” cat back won’t give you any significant increase hp? Is it because there are points of greater restriction before the cats, like the exhaust manifolds themselves?

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 02-25-2019 at 02:04 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote