Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Do you think it is legitimate to deny coverage because of a K&N "Style" airfilter?
Yes 17 19.77%
No 69 80.23%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
GTgamo

Drives: Millennium Buzzard
Chevrolet bulletin concerning aftermarket K&N Style Filter and warranty

Ok, so the circumstances might be a grey area but it is now confirmed, that Chevrolet can deny warranty based upon aftermarket K&N air filter - (wth?) Please see page 2
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SB-10082412-5448.pdf (963.5 KB, 600 views)
Old 03-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Don't mean to mince words...but K&N sells two style of induction products...one is what they claim is a "replacement filter". The other are their high performance "cold air intakes". Without taking a side...I will say that one simply replaces the standard filter with a reusable/cleanable version...while the other drastically changes induction flow, and usually moves the MAF location.

I'm 99% sure that this bulletin refers to the latter of the two.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Don't mean to mince words...but K&N sells two style of induction products...one is what they claim is a "replacement filter". The other are their high performance "cold air intakes". Without taking a side...I will say that one simply replaces the standard filter with a reusable/cleanable version...while the other drastically changes induction flow, and usually moves the MAF location.

I'm 99% sure that this bulletin refers to the latter of the two.
But it also mentions 'or air intake system' which 'could' mean any of the aftermarket cold air systems such as the popular CAI or RotoFab ????

". If this type of piston damage is present and aftermarket items are found during steps 2 or 3, this should not be considered a warrantable repair. 2. Inspect for aftermarket components, such as an exhaust, ignition, high performance air filter (K&N style), or air intake system. Take photos and document accordingly if anything is found. "
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
But it also mentions 'or air intake system' which 'could' mean any of the aftermarket cold air systems such as the popular CAI or RotoFab ????

". If this type of piston damage is present and aftermarket items are found during steps 2 or 3, this should not be considered a warrantable repair. 2. Inspect for aftermarket components, such as an exhaust, ignition, high performance air filter (K&N style), or air intake system. Take photos and document accordingly if anything is found. "
Yes, that is my interpretation also. It's also not the first time we've heard this.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
Toons
Speed Racer

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I'd bet every one of those piston pictures came from an extreme build, i.e. Nitrous, methanol, blowers, etc
Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
GTgamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Yes, that is my interpretation also. It's also not the first time we've heard this.

Maybe its not the first time "hearing" it but it is confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt now..
Old 03-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
GTgamo

Should this be a sticky?
Old 03-07-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
For LT1 GM has their own yes? with calibration?

I voted yes because GM can't cover bad tunes and bad aftermarket products, so I agree they should not cover it.

Can a little more air really do that much damage?
Old 03-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
GTgamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toons View Post
I'd bet every one of those piston pictures came from an extreme build, i.e. Nitrous, methanol, blowers, etc
Build speculation is irrelevant, what is relevant is that you are on your own if you use anything at ALL other than what is stock..
Old 03-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #10
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Those pics make you wonder how safe the "no tune" cold air kits really are considering they mostly achieve their hp claims by leaning out the air/fuel mixture due to allowing unmetered air into the engine. I ran a K&N CAI on my 5th Gen ZL1 which picked up good hp, but it ran super lean from idle and part throttle and also leaned out at WOT. It also picked up KR in the lower rpm range at WOT. I can't speak for the new ZL1, but the 5th gen ZL1 has an aggressive tune from the factory, so I can see why GM does this. Bottom line is mod at your risk.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #11
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I read somewhere....bear with me.... I have an old failing mind.,lol, There is a Fed law that they CAN'T "VOID" a warranty. If someone what to research it. Personally, I don't care, Dealers don't touch my crap (unless I'm standing right there directing) 30 year mechanic.
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #12
84camaroz28

Drives: 84 camaro z28 422sb th400 9in
I think warrantys are worthless...
84camaroz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #13
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgamo View Post
Maybe its not the first time "hearing" it but it is confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt now..
Maybe not. There are laws that protect the consumer's right to repair their own car, choose non-GM replacement parts, etc.. The protection is obviously limited, but it's there. Otherwise the first time you replace the brake pads yourself, GM could void your entire car's warranty.

Keep in mind this is just GM's position on the subject. A judge may see it differently.

Here's the classic example law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #14
GTgamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettman View Post
I read somewhere....bear with me.... I have an old failing mind.,lol, There is a Fed law that they CAN'T "VOID" a warranty. If someone what to research it. Personally, I don't care, Dealers don't touch my crap (unless I'm standing right there directing) 30 year mechanic.
Yes you are absolutely correct its called the Magnuson Moss Waranty act

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid%3AUSC-prelim-title15-chapter50&edition=prelim

www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

But who do you think will win a paper battle? The average consumer isn't going to spend 10-15K defending themselves against General Motors.