Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Thread Closed

Old 12-14-2016, 06:53 AM   #15
Doyal_Mcneff
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Can you post what other manufacturers do? Show us other manufacturers processes and their quality checks so we have something to compare.
Other manufacturers are TUV certified. And others powdercoat in the US. When you become an international brand, you have to be TUV certified if you want to sell in certain countries.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:57 AM   #16
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyal_Mcneff View Post
I'm not saying there aren't positive reviews out there. There are people with zero issues I'm sure. All im saying is the quality control isn't there, and the rims are not powdercoated in LA.

I'm voicing my opinion because I'm tired of seeing these MRR talk about weight savings and how their wheel is lighter than forged and how they have a insight refinishing shop. If you notice, they always say it's for customer finishes. If you got gloss black....they were powdercoated overseas.
"I'm tired of seeing these MRR talk about weight savings" - Well, They are...
"..
.how they have a on sight refinishing shop" -Well, They do...
"...they always say it's for custom finishes" - Well, They did say that....
"....
If you got gloss black....they were powder coated oversea" Yup, They did say that too...

What's the problem? Still have no idea what your complaint is?
You want video of their manufacturing process? Signed certificates of metallurgy?
You won't get that from any wheel manufacturer.
Why are you not asking that question of every wheel manufacturer and see how they respond to your demands

Quote:
Other manufacturers are TUV certified. And others powdercoat in the US. When you become an international brand, you have to be TUV certified if you want to sell in certain countries.
MRR wheels are JWL certified... I guess they don't sell in TUV countries then??? Even HRE doesn't do that, for some models, but not all.

Ok, my bad for giving incomplete info. HRE CAN certify all their products when needed, I did not want to imply they can't.

Last edited by BradfordCamaro; 12-14-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:00 AM   #17
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I use several shops in the south Florida area for my wheels. I went into one shop 9 months ago and they had a set of MMRs that Had come back because they were out of round, and they had weights all the way around , almost half the wheel, because they couldn't get them to balance. It's just what I saw, I don't know anything more than that. This particular shop was not hot on this wheel mfr.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #18
Doyal_Mcneff
Account Suspended

Quote:
"I'm tired of seeing these MRR talk about weight savings" - Well, They are...
"..
.how they have a on sight refinishing shop" -Well, They do...
"...they always say it's for custom finishes" - Well, They did say that....
"....
If you got gloss black....they were powder coated oversea" Yup, They did say that too...

What's the problem? Still have no idea what your complaint is?
You want video of their manufacturing process? Signed certificates of metallurgy?
You won't get that from any wheel manufacturer.
Why are you not asking that question of every wheel manufacturer and see how they respond to your demands

MRR wheels are JWL certified... I guess they don't sell in TUV countries then??? Even HRE doesn't do that, for some models, but not all.
My complaint with MRR is that they don't QC their product. Even my new set has too many wheel weights. And yes they're lighter but not stronger which is a major issue unless your roads are perfect.

As far as asking other wheel companies...I have which is why I know HRE uses TUV.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:43 AM   #19
diirk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
My complaint with MRR is that they don't QC their product. Even my new set has too many wheel weights. And yes they're lighter but not stronger which is a major issue unless your roads are perfect.

As far as asking other wheel companies...I have which is why I know HRE uses TUV.
Can you share specifics on the wheels and tires?
Maybe we can narrow it down to a certain model, size, etc.
1morproject
Old 12-14-2016, 07:49 AM   #20
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
This I can understand. It would be nice if all manufacturers would unbox and check the wheels for run out and balancing before shipping them out.

I track day my car and would like to be certain that the 1LE replicas can handle the strain of this without worrying about them breaking.

Last edited by Eric SS; 12-14-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #21
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
Quote:
Even HRE doesn't do that, for some models, but not all.[/FONT]
HRE's manufacturing facility has been TUV approved since 2008. If you're a German/Austrian customer for example who requires a TUV certification, that's no problem, we get the approval and move on (another reason why we have a secondary office in Stuttgart Germany - HRE GmbH). A customer who orders the same wheels for the same car in America, won't require the approval because US regulations don't require it, despite it being the same exact wheel which would have passed TUV if it was sent to Germany. So technically yes, some wheels aren't certified, but that's because the governing bodies of these countries don't require that certification.

Another example, all our wheels that are shipped to Japan will receive a JWL certification, but if that same set were to be produced for an American customer, no certification needed.

BTW to the mods - I know this is an MRR thread. I have no intention on posting anything in regards to MRR, but rather comment about our own processes to help others on the forum.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #22
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowForm_Wheels View Post
HRE's manufacturing facility has been TUV approved since 2008. If you're a German/Austrian customer for example who requires a TUV certification, that's no problem, we get the approval and move on (another reason why we have a secondary office in Stuttgart Germany - HRE GmbH). A customer who orders the same wheels for the same car in America, won't require the approval because US regulations don't require it, despite it being the same exact wheel which would have passed TUV if it was sent to Germany. So technically yes, some wheels aren't certified, but that's because the governing bodies of these countries don't require that certification.

Another example, all our wheels that are shipped to Japan will receive a JWL certification, but if that same set were to be produced for an American customer, no certification needed.

BTW to the mods - I know this is an MRR thread. I have no intention on posting anything in regards to MRR, but rather comment about our own processes to help others on the forum.
Thank you for the insight to when/how certifications are needed.
I would like you to know my mention of your product was in no way intended as a negative. I added a qik edit to my original post.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #23
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
Quote:
Thank you for the insight to when/how certifications are needed.
I would like you to know my mention of your product was in no way intended as a negative.
No problem! I didn't see it as negative, I just wanted to make sure it was clarified as to what you meant. All good
Old 12-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #24
GhostEye07

Drives: '16 Camaro 2LT RS
I had the 228's for a few months and then switched to the M017's
I've tracked them and put them under some punishment and they are holding up great!
they are great wheels IMO! No issues whatsoever !
Old 12-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #25
Garys16SS

Drives: 2016 SS, BLACK, MANUAL
I have the polished powder M017s and they are a great looking wheel. One wheel had no weights added and the other 3 were within 1 oz. The wheel assemblies were road forced balanced and weights were installed behind the ribs if possible. So far, no problems. (Note, the tires were the Goodyear G2s)
1 7/8" headers and exhaust from Stainless Works complete with nonNPP mufflers and 5"outlets, Katech ported TB, Moroso catch can, MRR M017 polished powder wheels, Eibach lowering springs, and BMR upper/ lower trailing arms and upper control arms. ZL1/1le sway bars and Magnusson Supercharger with Jannetty tune. Stay Tuned!!!......More to come.
2014 Camaro Ashen grey, 3.6, 6 speed, Vararam intake, Elite catch can, chrome wheels, and Vitesse controller.
2003 SSR red,
2016 Vette
Old 12-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #26
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostEye07 View Post
I had the 228's for a few months and then switched to the M017's
I've tracked them and put them under some punishment and they are holding up great!
they are great wheels IMO! No issues whatsoever !
Thanks for your experience. Tracked? Road course or drag strip?
Old 12-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #27
Doyal_Mcneff
Account Suspended

Quote:
No problem! I didn't see it as negative, I just wanted to make sure it was clarified as to what you meant. All good
Thank you again for chiming in. It's good to see a brand step in and educate people when others don't step up to the plate.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #28
Doyal_Mcneff
Account Suspended

Quote:

I have a question...why would some companies opt out of TUV? Is it a cost thing?

Closed Thread